24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can go with aftermarket lift pumps for way cheaper than that. but you would probably have to put it in yourself to save money. do you have a fuel pressure gauge on the truck? if not I would strongly suggest getting a fuel pressure gauge whether you need a vp44 or not, but especially if you put a new vp on.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM

So the transfer pump is the lift pump right? Sorry still learning diesels. But I was seeing injection pumps for like $300 both aftermarket and factory. Could the labor really be $1800 to put I a lift pump? I know fuel systems are a pita but a trans rebuild labor was less, because the $2100 is seperate from the vp.

And no pressure gauge, but I'll definiky have one put in
Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 PM

yeah transfer and lift pumps are the same. you can get them anywhere from $400 on up for a good aftermarket one. stock replacements are even cheaper but I don't know if I would go that route. some guys have good luck with stock lift pumps. i honestly don't know what a mechanic would charge to change the lift pump set-up. but it doesn't sound like your having any luck finding the right mechanic. if you have the time, I would just do it yourself. most of the members on here are way more than willing to help you through the process. you can pretty much learn everything you need to know from this site. and as for the guage it really is good insurance . kinda lets you know if a lift pump is getting weak as well as when you need to change the fuel filter. as for your problem, seems to me like probably the vp but I'm not sure. I would get one from blue chip if you need one. from what I have read on here, if I ever need a new one that's where I would get it.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by BillyJo
It is killer because I'm only 18 and I have horses to pay for, this truck is worse than vet bills!

Also I got a code I think it was p1690 or something, when I researched it I think it means mid communication with vp44 and ECM
Use the troubleshooting guide from blue chips diesel website if you can. This will help narrow things down. I will PM you some places you can buy the vp 44 and a lift pump that are good prices. A cummins cert shop will be higher in prices. A diesel performance shop would be a little cheaper. I think mine was 1400 installed. Just the vp. I put a fass 150 on long ago and those r pricey too. if u r able or with someone to help u that would save alot of $. Also send a email to the store on this website and see what package deal u could get VP and a lift pump.
When it rains it at times the wallet will drain. Also check on this website on the local chapter that is closest to u. Post on it. There may be members on here that live close to you that may be able to help you out installing stuff.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by dubc2323
yeah transfer and lift pumps are the same. you can get them anywhere from $400 on up for a good aftermarket one. stock replacements are even cheaper but I don't know if I would go that route. some guys have good luck with stock lift pumps. i honestly don't know what a mechanic would charge to change the lift pump set-up. but it doesn't sound like your having any luck finding the right mechanic. if you have the time, I would just do it yourself. most of the members on here are way more than willing to help you through the process. you can pretty much learn everything you need to know from this site. and as for the guage it really is good insurance . kinda lets you know if a lift pump is getting weak as well as when you need to change the fuel filter. as for your problem, seems to me like probably the vp but I'm not sure. I would get one from blue chip if you need one. from what I have read on here, if I ever need a new one that's where I would get it.

Ok, that makes sence. I will have to clairify with them. Maybe if they are cummins certified have them do the diagnostic if it's a reasonable price, and go from there.

Yea I'll definitely have to get the gauge setup.

Doing it myself is possible, but I'd really like to get this thing going, and time is sort of limited.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
Use the troubleshooting guide from blue chips diesel website if you can. This will help narrow things down. I will PM you some places you can buy the vp 44 and a lift pump that are good prices. A cummins cert shop will be higher in prices. A diesel performance shop would be a little cheaper. I think mine was 1400 installed. Just the vp. I put a fass 150 on long ago and those r pricey too. if u r able or with someone to help u that would save alot of $. Also send a email to the store on this website and see what package deal u could get VP and a lift pump.
When it rains it at times the wallet will drain. Also check on this website on the local chapter that is closest to u. Post on it. There may be members on here that live close to you that may be able to help you out installing stuff.

Ok yea I did some reading up from there, it's sounding a lot like the vp44 from there, but I'd definitely like to get a real mechanic to diagnose it. And yea I'll check that out, doing it myself is possible if I can't get it done for a reasonsble price.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by BillyJo
Ok yea I did some reading up from there, it's sounding a lot like the vp44 from there, but I'd definitely like to get a real mechanic to diagnose it. And yea I'll check that out, doing it myself is possible if I can't get it done for a reasonsble price.

BillyJo,

PM sent to you.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
GET ANOTHER NEW MECHANIC!!

That is ridiculous for a LP. I have a FASS 95 GPH on mine. $475.00, installed myself in about three hours.

Get the fuel gauge as rec'd so you can keep an eye on it.

What did you expect?? You got 235 new horses when you bought that Cummins!!

Just kidding, I hope you can figure it out for a lot less money!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 PM

i got a fass lift pump on ebay , that mounts in the stock oem locational... for $275.00, 18 psi at idle ..
ive had it since 2009 , with zero problems..

i thought i lost my injector pump 3 months ago , when it suddenly stopped and would not start , and showed zero psi on the fuel psi gauge ...#$%^&
i found out there is a check valve , on/ in the fuel return line..., since ir set no code , i figured it was the Vp44 pump,.... but before i got anew one (rebuilt ) from ebay for $995.00..
i took the check valve out , and soaked it in auto trans fluid , for a few hours... put it back in , bleed out the injector pump lines ,..... and replaced the fuel filter..... and it fired up , and has been running fine for 4,000 miles....a zero $ repair...