1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best & Worst Mods...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Thank you fellas for the info... it will be a couple months before I can start working on some of this stuff but I'll definitely post threads when I get going ... in sure there will be lots of questions I have... in the mean time though

How about some mods that were just a waste of time or money because of the order of progress ... maybe "I should of done _____ first AND then did ______ second because...???"
Old 01-14-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
If the clutches are bad enough to be problematic, the diff will likely act like an open diff and tires will counter rotate. Would be a good time to replace fluid and know for sure.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:56 AM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by thrub
366 spring was definitely one of the better mods I've done.
Almost forgot that one. Should go to top of my list just because its so cheap, easy, and rewarding.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:48 AM

Ok fellas I've heard a lot about it and read some on it ... can anyone tell me why this 366 spring is such a good thing and what are the "other" mods that would support/help it

SD
Old 01-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Ok fellas I've heard a lot about it and read some on it ... can anyone tell me why this 366 spring is such a good thing and what are the "other" mods that would support/help it

SD
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... but the '366' spring is a 3200rpm governor spring. It lets the pump fuel more aggressively overall, and go past the stock 2500ish mark. You have to crack open the top of the pump to install it. I got mine from BD power with their fuel pin.

I already had 4" exhaust, HX35, and bigger injectors by the time I added the spring.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts

SD
Because it's freaking awesome...!

my truck barely was able to get past 85 mph, and took forever to get to that. When I put that gov spring in, it was like driving a different truck. Well past 85 mph, and much easier to get to it.

But since 85 MPH is illegal here, I'm just kidding.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
I've honestly not done a bad mod to mine that I can think of.

366 spring, led instrument lights, led interior lights, led light panels for the cab/bed light, 5x.012 injectors, tinted windows, gauges, ect.

My soon to be best mod of all time considering the truck doesn't have any yet is my recently delivered 05 Suburban visors with lighted mirrors. They not only swing to the side like normal visors but then there is a extra piece that drops down to still shield the front window.

I think most of the mods we do here, the ones written about and stickied are all sensible mods that over time have proven to be good.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:12 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
A "performance" mod that is my worst is installing a set of DAP 5x11 SAC injectors in my little truck. Poor mileage, hazy at idle, no power. Replaced them with stock sticks and all is right in the world again.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
A "performance" mod that is my worst is installing a set of DAP 5x11 SAC injectors in my little truck. Poor mileage, hazy at idle, no power. Replaced them with stock sticks and all is right in the world again.
Did you do anything else ... pump timing ... turbo upgrade... etc... or were the injectors the only thing you did at the time?

I admit I do not know anything about pump timing ... rpm springs... turbo sizes ... or even what size/spray pattern stock injectors are but, I'm reading lots asking questions lots and learning some

So could we say ... "injectors are not a good things unless you have done _______ "
Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Banned

Did you do anything else ... pump timing ... turbo upgrade... etc... or were the injectors the only thing you did at the time?

I admit I do not know anything about pump timing ... rpm springs... turbo sizes ... or even what size/spray pattern stock injectors are but, I'm reading lots asking questions lots and learning some

So could we say ... "injectors are not a good things unless you have done _______ "
Injectors can be a very good thing with all else equal in a lot of cases. Our injectors are mechanical, mechanical pieces wear out. When springs get weak, nozzles get dirty, pintle seats get worn, trucks don't run as well or as efficiently. A good set of replacement injectors can cure this. Whether you go stock or to something like a Bosch 190, or one of the many aftermarket units available.

In my case, all else equal, the worn out 250k mile stock injectors are better than the almost new DAP 5x11. I played with tuning/timing to my wits end trying to make those DAP sticks better.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Banned

I'll do a new list and give you what I have found to be "worthwhile upgrades" and I would recommend to anyone. Some things I've done I wouldn't list as "worst" but maybe not worth it to everyone. So here goes(in no particular order)

- hydroboost brakes
- he351cw turbo
- powerstroke intercooler
- 3200 rpm gov spring
- pump tuning (timing/fuel/smoke/starwheel)
- drill holes in the air box
- low pressure piston lift pump
- e code headlights on relays
- deck plate opening in the HVAC box
- gauges (fuel pressure, boost, and pyro) for tuning, monitoring, and troubleshooting.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:35 PM

I stumbled across the thread for cleaning out the HVAC box yesterday... that screw in deck plate looks slick ... especially as I was just thinking of cutting a square out and then covering it with ???? And running screws through it all !!

I know this is probably small beans to some but ALL the suggestions have been helpful and eye opening ... now I can go and search threads that deal with these individual mods and get a little more depth before deciding to pull the trigger on a particular mod or not !!

Can't say enough about the help and suggestions I've received from you guys at DTR ... thanks again SD
Old 01-16-2017, 05:18 PM

^ I don't like that line of thinking... i lost interest in gas engines because of it. Feels like an endless circus of matching (i.e. buying) components or it performs dismally.

Diesels are simpler - more fuel is more fuel - and you just take precautions so your junk doesn't blow up or melt down. My used 5x12 injectors were fun from the moment they went in .
Old 01-17-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Let's not forget the Fluid Damper add on as a great mod. Main reason it's not talked about more is that it's an expensive piece. Knowing what I know now, I would put one of these in, before a set of new injectors( unless the injectors went bad, of course).
To add to these lists of great mods:
1. Replace the tappet cover that is prone to leak with a billet aluminum plate
2. On the automatic transmissions, replace the shift detent ball and spring to the bullet style detent. No more worries of the ball bearing popping off, and gear shifts are more tight and secure
3. Twin valve covers with the built in crank case vent
4. Ram air into your stock air box, by cutting out a hole in the fascia piece right below the grill
5. Being that more airflow is always a good thing with diesels, the Crazy Carl's intake manifold plate is a welcome addition
6. Upgrade the rear brake shoes and cylinders to 1 ton parts, and get rid of the factory RWAL pro portioning valve( bypass it)
7. Swap out the flexplate for a beefier unit on the auto transmissions
8. Upgrade the negative and positive battery cables to a larger size, and use the military type terminals
9. Per Jim Layne's sticky, additional grounds to the electrical system
10. This is a great combo to the air box Beckson deck plate- install screen door material under the open grate that sits on top of the truck, behind the hood, under the windshield. Catches all the leaves, before they make their way into your air box.
11. Filter your tranny fluid, along with your coolant, with bypass style filter heads
12. Replace all the freeze plugs with toggle type, aluminum plugs, or replace them with upgraded stainless ones from Cummins. If I were to organize my list in an order of importance, this would be in the top 3, 'cause a blown out, 20+ year old freeze plug will cause big problems
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:47 PM

May I ask what a tappet cover is and where would I look for such a thing to see if it's leaking...?

Quick Reply: Best & Worst Mods...?