1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best & Worst Mods...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Best & Worst Mods...?

Good evening folks... getting an early case of cabin fever (even though we still got 3 hard months and a bit for winter) ... what are the best and worst things you've done modifying your 1st gen CTD's ??

I'm looking to assemble Jim Lanes headlight relay and upgrade to Silver Star lights ... gonna drop tranny pan in the spring and then install a drain plug ... what's your ideas... " I'm so glad I did this...!" Or " I can't believe I waisted my time and money...!!!"

As always thanks in advance... SD
Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
366 spring was definitely one of the better mods I've done. NAPA heater core also.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Best
#1 hydrooboost
#2 he351 turbo
#3 valve adjustment (commonly neglected)
#4 hella e-code headlights.

worst... i'll have to think about that. nothing comes to mind right now.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Best mod that I've done so far? It's definitely hooking up a pull cable to kill the engine and removing the plunger from the shut-off solenoid.
That mod saved my rear just the other day. Something shorted on the way into work Wed. morning and blew a fuse causing me to loose power to gauges, charging system, A/C, windows, you name it. Not only was I able to keep on trucking and get to work, but I was able to drive home (60 miles) with everything off and deal with it later. If I can bump the starter, I can run.
Also, on cold days, it allows me to crank the engine a bit, without it firing, to get oil moving before start-up.

-Niemand
The following users liked this post:
RamDodgeSam (01-17-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 12:11 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
#1 Addressing the KDP
#2 366 Governor Spring
#3 Headlights on Relays
#4 Denny T fuel pin
#5 Adding air to air on my non I/C truck

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-13-2017, 02:28 PM

Definitely got to do the dowel pin in the spring/summer as well ... I haven't monkeyed with the engine or pump at all because I've got a clunk in the rear to deal with and am a little leery of the auto transmission (she's a daily driver so I can't afford to have her down long and with my mechanical ability... mmmmm)

Keep the ideas Cummins fellas
Old 01-13-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
#1 Dana 80 swap w/shackle-flipped 2ndgen leafs
#2 HX35 swap
#3 one piece rear cab glass (more secure & doesn't whistle)
#4 relocated axle 1/2" fwd w/1" thick 'zero-rate' (besides the lift, it centered stock steering, and allowed 2ndgen driveshaft).
Old 01-14-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
As far as "performance" stuff, depends on what you intend to use the truck for.
Other wise:
Gauges; boost, EGT, and tranny temp.
Headlight relays.
Hella "E" code lights.
Hella 100/55 watt bulbs.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:22 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Best things I think are the gauges and kdp for peace of mind. The 366 spring and smaller turbo housing seemed to make the most noticable difference. I like the 4" exhaust, especially now that it has a muffler.

Worse mod was adding the Derale auto tranny cooler in the stock under bed location. It rotted out after a coupla years and now I have these haudrailic hoses with one rusted to the warmer under the turbo...
Old 01-14-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Definitely got to do the dowel pin in the spring/summer as well ... I haven't monkeyed with the engine or pump at all because I've got a clunk in the rear to deal with and am a little leery of the auto transmission (she's a daily driver so I can't afford to have her down long and with my mechanical ability... mmmmm)

Keep the ideas Cummins fellas

366 spring
Reverse rotation steering
H1 turbo &pin upgrade
Headlight relays
Fusable link upgrade
Kdp

Worst ?

Nada

The clunk you have, as long as your u joints are in good shape, is most likely from the LSD spider gear clutches going bad. Check to see if you have the LSD rear diff. If you have over 120,000 miles on the clock, and the clutches are bad, and you don't address them, you will be replacing the rear axle upon failure
Old 01-14-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
This is a great thread. I got some answera without bugging anyone LOL.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
366 spring
Reverse rotation steering
H1 turbo &pin upgrade
Headlight relays
Fusable link upgrade
Kdp

Worst ?

Nada

The clunk you have, as long as your u joints are in good shape, is most likely from the LSD spider gear clutches going bad. Check to see if you have the LSD rear diff. If you have over 120,000 miles on the clock, and the clutches are bad, and you don't address them, you will be replacing the rear axle upon failure

Does anyone know if a source that has new steering boxes for our rigs? Genos has them for the 94's and up but not the square bodies... I guess the other option is find something from the junkyard and then send it off for reman.??

NJT ... how do I tell if I have limited slip in the rear ... jack up both rear tires and spin one?
1) should there be some delay or difference in the other tire spinning? Or should it be immediate and rotation for rotation on both sides?
2) auto transmission shifted to neutral or drive or reverse ??? I'm all ears as I know I've got to address this when spring breaks

SD
Old 01-14-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Does anyone know if a source that has new steering boxes for our rigs? Genos has them for the 94's and up but not the square bodies... I guess the other option is find something from the junkyard and then send it off for reman.??
I would check with RedHead Steering.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Thank you sir
Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts

NJT ... how do I tell if I have limited slip in the rear ... jack up both rear tires and spin one?
1) should there be some delay or difference in the other tire spinning? Or should it be immediate and rotation for rotation on both sides?
2) auto transmission shifted to neutral or drive or reverse ??? I'm all ears as I know I've got to address this when spring breaks

SD
Both wheels spin in the same direction when you rotate one. Look here:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ebuild-306502/

I did a write up on it.

Power Steering Services is another rebuilder who did mine. Not sure who owns it now, but Chip did great work. He was bought out in December.

Quick Reply: Best & Worst Mods...?