1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Adjust your bands, shift points, and line pressure (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha alright I'll probably keep it around 2 turns, but I read on this site that one turn= 3 psi?
http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=68
And then I noticed the arrows in the picture which look like it shows 1/4 turn, so I guess that sounds right.

So you prefer the Rubber pan gasket instead of the cork one? i'll have to remember that when i go pick up my filter and fluids.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky

So you prefer the Rubber pan gasket instead of the cork one? i'll have to remember that when i go pick up my filter and fluids.
If it's still good I reused mine and it doesn't leak. I didn't use silicone or anything either, just make sure everything is clean.

Cork ones can rip and tear when you take it off next time, at least in my short time of experiences.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just need to know the ratio...

1 turn of the power screw = x turns of the line pressure screw
Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 PM

1 full turn is only 3psi. For a bone stock tranny, you don't want to go over about 70psi for base pressure(make sure your kick down cable isn't too aggressive, as this will show a higher pressure at idle), without updating the inner seal on the forward drum(3rd gear apply).
Your base pressure is most likely around 50-52psi, so 3 turns isn't going to kill your tranny, if you're at the stock base pressure.

On aftermarket VB's for some fun and towing, I set the base pressure to 80-85psi. All out race, 95+ for base. For the blue loctite screw, don't go below .800.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM

I vote sticky....... nice write up. Good work. Did it firm up the shifts? Cause even though I hear mine shifting, the rpm change feels like a centrifugal clutch on a go kart, except for O/D. I was wondering if it would increase the rpm drop and firm it up.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:27 PM

unfortunately, to get more rpm drop between shifts is going to require a tighter converter.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:51 PM

this old man has heard a lot about the seals blowing in third gear drum. i raced these trans for 12 years drive 2 of them on the street with manual valve bodies at pressures most people run from and have never blown the front drum seals. i have never bought a so-called high performance seal for the torque-flite trans. i had one misshap a few years ago that blew snap ring and part of the groove out. re-used the dang stock seals in another drum and it is still working today. i dont understand.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fred Swanson
unfortunately, to get more rpm drop between shifts is going to require a tighter converter.
That makes sense. Thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 11:14 PM

Well after workin on this most of the day, I did just like dzl damon did. I changed my fluid, filter, and turned up the pressure 2 turns, and turned the later shift point 3/4 of a turn, and adjusted the bands, put in some valvoline full synthetic ATF+4 and a bottle of lucas trans fix/slip prevent, and this thing runs a lot better! 3rd gear and overdrive pull a lot harder now and put me back in my seat when you punch on it now in higher gears. I still need to adjust my tv cable because my 1st and 2nd gear are still shiftin out too early and i want them to stay in longer, but I'm happy with the results!

Great writeup that told me exactly what to do, I didn't have one problem! Sticky time!!! thanks man
Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Well after workin on this most of the day, I did just like dzl damon did. I changed my fluid, filter, and turned up the pressure 2 turns, and turned the later shift point 3/4 of a turn, and adjusted the bands, put in some valvoline full synthetic ATF+4 and a bottle of lucas trans fix/slip prevent, and this thing runs a lot better! 3rd gear and overdrive pull a lot harder now and put me back in my seat when you punch on it now in higher gears. I still need to adjust my tv cable because my 1st and 2nd gear are still shiftin out too early and i want them to stay in longer, but I'm happy with the results!

Great writeup that told me exactly what to do, I didn't have one problem! Sticky time!!! thanks man
Did you go two full turns on line pressure or did you do the two 1/4 turns? I think I may get into this in a couple weeks.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Glad to hear it helped someone else! I'll throw a gauge on mine as soon as I get home again I'll determine if 1 turn is 3 psi or if 1/4 turn is 3 psi....

And yes Fred, a Torque Converter is still desperately needed in my situation as well. This just helped some for free....
Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tater93
Did you go two full turns on line pressure or did you do the two 1/4 turns? I think I may get into this in a couple weeks.
I did 2 full turns, I figured the same as dzl damon did, that my 18 year old transmission could use more pressure, and if his tranny was ok with 2 full turns, then mine probably would be too. It definately helped, a lot less slip in my higher gears and it pulls harder. I was hopin it would help a lot more after all that work, but it was worth it I think, its all back together now and doesn't leak or seem weird so I'm pleased, I still need to adjust my TV cable though to get this stock trans shifting to my liking.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 PM

I did 2 full turns, I figured the same as dzl damon did, that my 18 year old transmission could use more pressure, and if his tranny was ok with 2 full turns, then mine probably would be too. It definately helped, a lot less slip in my higher gears and it pulls harder. I was hopin it would help a lot more after all that work, but it was worth it I think, its all back together now and doesn't leak or seem weird so I'm pleased, I still need to adjust my TV cable though to get this stock trans shifting to my liking.
Thanks for the reply Smokin, I think I'm gonna do this in a couple weeks after I get the A1000 system done. I adjusted the TV cable on my Dad's truck, wow what a difference.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 AM

One full turn is 3 psi, not a 1/4 turn.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM

Yeah I'm wishin i woulda turned it up more now...

Quick Reply: Adjust your bands, shift points, and line pressure (pics)