1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

antifreeze ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
antifreeze ??

my coolant was looking nasty after only 1 year ,even after using the Jim Lane garden hose adapter from the sticky.

So I decided to do another coolant flush. The guy at the auto parts suggested this Zerex brand G-05 formula so I dumped it in. Of course not before hooking the garden hoose up again.

2 gallons of Zerex G-05 and 2 gallons of distilled H20.

Does anybody have an opinion or know anything about this particular antifreeze ? It's not the green stuff it almost looks clear. The bottle says specially formulated for heavy duty diesel protection and then lists manufactures such as cat Cummins Detroit John Deere
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Nasty how?
is there sludge or is it discolored?

By installing my coolant filter I have probably removed most of the remaining casting sand and sedement from my block leaving my coolant as clean as the day I poured it in.

Be sure your pressure cap is the correct one and your recovery tank works, there can be no air in the system to work right.

Jim
Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 AM

Coolant filter? Never seen one of those before, my coolant gets discolored after about a year or so, not that it is a big deal to change, but maybe a coolant filter would help.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:10 AM

There was a brown tint to the old green stuff and the overflow had a thin layer of mud in the bottom.

I'm more concerned with the type of antifreeze I used then the sludge. I don't want any harm done because I used some left Louie stuff instead of the good ol green stuff.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Not to hijack the thread. Jim, could you post a pic of your filter and where you got it ? Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 AM

you can get them at any big truck dealer I have one on my freightliner
Old 11-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by brcron007
Not to hijack the thread. Jim, could you post a pic of your filter and where you got it ? Thanks

Here you go.
I used a Fleetguard filter head.

Name:  IMG_5084.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5125.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  87.1 KB

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=209772

I got it at my local Truck Parts.

Jim
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
There's a whole long thread on anti-freeze here somewhere. 6BT isn't a sleeved engine, so electrolytic pin holing isn't a problem. The spec called out in the manual, as I remember, would be the same as a gasser.

Anti-freeze has some corrosion inhibitors in it, which are used up. As stated before, a key source of corrosion is air in the system. If the cap is bad or the little hose to the overflow tank has a leak, you'll pull a bit of air, with oxygen of course, into the system every time it cools down. That will find something to react with and form rust and sludges.

If you inherited a neglected system, it might take a couple of passes to clean it up.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Try not putting water in it......Mark
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM

Wow Jim did you just pull your truck out of a time capsule hidden somewhere ? I'm not sure they looked that good coming out of the factory let alone 20 yrs later. Nobody is seein mine after those pictures i'm suddenly feeling very very ashamed of what i thought was my pretty clean engine compartment !!!!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Jim buys Brasso by the case.

Seriously, that's one pretty truck.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Try not putting water in it......Mark
I know your trick. Don't get anything started
Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM

ok, back on track, I'm not so much worried about the dirt in the system. I wanna know something about the G-05 stuff. Good or bad????
Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MARF75
ok, back on track, I'm not so much worried about the dirt in the system. I wanna know something about the G-05 stuff. Good or bad????
G-05 HOAT OR Hybrid Organic Acid Technology formulation is specified as the Dodge factory fill for the third generation Dodge Ram lineup. This formulation is low in silicates whereas the factory fill in the first and second gen. Dodge Rams are known as IAT or Inorganic Acid Technology formulations which are high in silicates. These are better known as the old school green coolants with life cycles of 2 year 24,000 mile and 3year 36,000 mile intervals. They use fast acting inorganic additives with service intervals of up to three years, a relatively short service life when compared to other technologies. And to answer your question., Yes! The G-05 formulation is compatible with all old school green coolants or IAT formulations and has a long service interval.

At the present time, four G0-5 HOAT coolants are marketed and readily available. I find that the Zerex and Ford coolants noted below are the cost effective choices over the Mopar and Mercedes offerings. The following list contains those coolants:

1). Valvoline Zerex G-05 Hoat -Available in concentrate. The NAPA part # is ZXG051 and is a Yellow/Gold in color.
NAPA carries the entire Valvoline product line. If they do not have it on the shelves or behind the counter, a store associate can order it for you. CarQuest typically stocks it as well. In the event that they do not stock it on their shelves, ask the manager to order it for you.

2). Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Ford Part #VC-7A Yellow/Gold in color.

3). Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) Embittered (factory fill) Red/Orange in color.

4). Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Agent - Part # Q 103 0002 Dark Gold/Bronze in color.

The color or dye contained in coolants is not an indicator of the formulation. The red/orange dye which sometimes appears pink was specified by Chrysler when they made an agreement with their coolant additive producer. Ford specifies a Yellow/Gold dye in their finished fluid.

This G-05 formulation has been proven in the european automotive market for many years as it is very tolerant of the hard water predominantly found there. When antifreeze concentrate is diluted to 50% by volume with water, the water of dilution must be of acceptable quality. Distilled water is the best to use, but other sources of water are acceptable as long as they are not excessive in total hardness. Higher hardness levels(magnesium and calcium), can contribute to scale and deposits, and the formation of corrosive chlorides and cause excessive inhibitor consumption, reducing the effective life of the coolant.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Thank you sir that is the answer I was looking for although I did not expect it to be that long. Very informative and once again thank you

Quick Reply: antifreeze ??