3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Did 48RE Band Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
RDR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did 48RE Band Adjustment

I should have waited till all my parts came in to do the governor solenoid and transducer before I adjusted the front band. It was very loose. By my estimation I had to turn the adjustment nut in a full heavy 2 turns before it even contacted, then another 1/2 turn with the torque wrench to get to 72 in lbs.
So that thing was pretty **** far out, however being that far out of adjustment really subdued the 1-2 gear hunting that I was experiencing. Now that it's nice and tightened up, the hunting is very pronounced.

Oh well, parts should be here in a day or two.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 PM

I did mine about 30K ago and I have a shifthunt going on again myself.

Wood
Old 03-12-2008, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I brought mine back to dealer twice for that. Third time they had to replace tranny
Old 03-12-2008, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by RDR
I should have waited till all my parts came in to do the governor solenoid and transducer before I adjusted the front band. It was very loose. By my estimation I had to turn the adjustment nut in a full heavy 2 turns before it even contacted, then another 1/2 turn with the torque wrench to get to 72 in lbs.
So that thing was pretty **** far out, however being that far out of adjustment really subdued the 1-2 gear hunting that I was experiencing. Now that it's nice and tightened up, the hunting is very pronounced.

Is there a "How to Do" on this?

Michael
Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 PM
RDR

Originally Posted by CUM4X4MINS
Is there a "How to Do" on this?

Michael
Factory specs, but use at your own risk....
For a 2005 48RE....
I accept no responsibility if you damage anything

ADJUSTMENT - BANDS
FRONT BAND

1 - LOCK-NUT

2 - FRONT BAND ADJUSTER

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw (2) is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.

1. Raise vehicle.
2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. Then back locknut (1) off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
3. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket.
CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.
4. Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4 turns, for diesel vehicles, or 1-1/2 turns, for V-10 vehicles.
5. Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 34 bN·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
6. Lower vehicle.

REAR BAND

1 - LOW-REVERSE BAND ADJUSTMENT

The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw (1).

1. Raise vehicle.
2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque.
5. Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
6. Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 41N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
7. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by RDR
Factory specs, but use at your own risk....
For a 2005 48RE....
I accept no responsibility if you damage anything

ADJUSTMENT - BANDS
FRONT BAND

[image]https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/80b29680.gif[/image]

1 - LOCK-NUT

2 - FRONT BAND ADJUSTER

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw (2) is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.

1. Raise vehicle.
2. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. Then back locknut (1) off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
3. Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket.
CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach the adjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5 N·m (47-50 in. lbs.) torque.
4. Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4 turns, for diesel vehicles, or 1-1/2 turns, for V-10 vehicles.
5. Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 34 bN·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
6. Lower vehicle.

REAR BAND

[image]https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/80b29682.gif[/image]

1 - LOW-REVERSE BAND ADJUSTMENT

The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw (1).

1. Raise vehicle.
2. Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
3. Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
4. Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque.
5. Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
6. Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 41N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
7. Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.
So it's a risky move if you don't know what you are doing? Thanks for the info. also.

Michael
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 PM

So it's a risky move if you don't know what you are doing? Thanks for the info. also.

Michael
Not really risky, but from what I hear, if your transmission is still shifting ok, dont mess with it, but if its starting to lag some, or slip, might be a good idea to try adjusting it.
Shouldnt be hard to do, as long as you have an inch/lbs torque wrench and follow the specs...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by RDR

How many miles are on your truck?
And how much did the governer solenoid set you back?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stacked97
Not really risky, but from what I hear, if your transmission is still shifting ok, dont mess with it, but if its starting to lag some, or slip, might be a good idea to try adjusting it.
Shouldnt be hard to do, as long as you have an inch/lbs torque wrench and follow the specs...
Alright thanks Stacked

Michael
Old 03-13-2008, 01:02 AM
RDR

Alright thanks Stacked

Michael
My truck has about 84k on it now. There aren't any factory services records that I know of, so I don't even know if the tranny has ever been serviced.

The most important thing to note is that you make sure when you tighten the retaining nut back down, that the adjustment bolt doesn't move. Usually a yellow paint pen will help you figure out if it's moved too much.
The danger is that it will be not turned a full 1 3/4 back out and will keep the band semi engaged, in which case it will severely wear extremely fast.

The governor solenoid was like 47$ i think. transmissionpartsusa.com

I got the solenoid, transducer, filter, shift kit, and a 48re manual for just under $200. Should be here any day.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by RDR
My truck has about 84k on it now. There aren't any factory services records that I know of, so I don't even know if the tranny has ever been serviced.

The most important thing to note is that you make sure when you tighten the retaining nut back down, that the adjustment bolt doesn't move. Usually a yellow paint pen will help you figure out if it's moved too much.
The danger is that it will be not turned a full 1 3/4 back out and will keep the band semi engaged, in which case it will severely wear extremely fast.

The governor solenoid was like 47$ i think. transmissionpartsusa.com

I got the solenoid, transducer, filter, shift kit, and a 48re manual for just under $200. Should be here any day.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Do you by any chance have the part number for the solenoid?
I saw the PN from Dodge in another thread(as part of the 1-2shift TSB) and it runs about $150, ouch
Old 03-13-2008, 02:46 PM
RDR

Originally Posted by Stacked97
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Do you by any chance have the part number for the solenoid?
I saw the PN from Dodge in another thread(as part of the 1-2shift TSB) and it runs about $150, ouch
I'm not 100% sure on the actual DC part number for the solenoid.. to tell you the truth.. I sort of trusted the transmission website to provide me with the part they say it is. The part's label is

53396 A500 42RE A518 46RE A618 47RE 48RE governor pressure solenoid 94-on

So hopefully I won't have a problem with it.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by RDR
I'm not 100% sure on the actual DC part number for the solenoid.. to tell you the truth.. I sort of trusted the transmission website to provide me with the part they say it is. The part's label is

53396 A500 42RE A518 46RE A618 47RE 48RE governor pressure solenoid 94-on

So hopefully I won't have a problem with it.
Sweet, thanks!

Let us know how it works out when you get the parts installed
Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 AM

i adjusted it and now the hunting it very noticeable and "harder", plus from time to time it feels like its slips into gear from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. and other times its nice and smooth. (this only happens under light throttle)
Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 PM
RDR

Yeah, the band adjustment seems to amplify whatever causes the shuttle shift. Im also reading now that there is a TSB for reflashing the pcm with updated software that is supposed to help the shuttle shift.. I hope to god that my parts fix this issue and I dont have to duke it out with a dealer to get my pcm reflashed under warranty.. I dont get along with service people very well.. they tend to **** me off..

Quick Reply: Did 48RE Band Adjustment