3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AirDog 150 and still use factory supply?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluechrome
I don't know why you guys want a back up pump. Our cp3's are strong enough to run the tuck even without the lift pump working Trust me or ask Diesel Dan(FASS) I drove for three hours without my pump Plugged in
But, The truck will run to the point you can't tell unless you real get on it or look at your gauges. I'm not a gauge watcher during normal transit
I agree with you, just pull the fuse to your fuel pump and the cp3 will pull through the airdog w/filters or fass w/filters.

I think some of these guys might be talkin' about the raptor or fass hpfp? I don't know if walbro's will allow fuel pulled through them, but with these other pumps that aren't flow through just get yourselves 2 valves one before and one after your pump. You shut these off and install whatever piece of tubing or conglomeration of fittings and I.P. that you have sitting in your tool or glove box in the event of a failure of your lift pump. Really how often do you figure you'll have to do this?

Oh yeah and some of them are worried about the 1/4 tank issue. So yeah you are going to have to get creative I guess.

FYI the liberty can is working great.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by bluechrome
I don't know why you guys want a back up pump. Our cp3's are strong enough to run the tuck even without the lift pump working Trust me or ask Diesel Dan(FASS) I drove for three hours without my pump Plugged in
But, The truck will run to the point you can't tell unless you real get on it or look at your gauges. I'm not a gauge watcher during normal transit
Im not so worried bout havein a backup system, im just tryin to think of a way to get more fuel to the AirDog at the 1/4 tank mark! 53 said that he can run his down to "E" and not run outta fuel, BUT his FP is bouncing all over the place with readings down to 0psi so this means that the AirDog isnt gettin adiquite fuel supply from 1/4 to "E", and what i was thinkin was to use maybe a Walbro pump to feed otta the jeep canister and then to the Airdog just so that when u get to the 1/4 tank mark u would have that extra fuel coming from the jeep canister and keep a good fuel supply to the AirDog untill u get to fill your tank back up.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Festus
The only flaw I'm see is that if the pump is pushing more than AirDog draw, you'll overpressure. If the added pump pushes less, you'll starve the Dog.

I'm going to try to do my a bit simpler. I'm going to place my Vulcan draw straw more toward the middle of the tank. If I can't I'm thinking of a flexible line off the bottom toward the middle of the tank. For my backup, I'm going to leave the OEM system in place just disconnect the plug at the tank (cover ends) and cap the CP3 feed line after disconnecting. This way if I need it, connect the OEM CP3 feed line back up and plug the OEM wire harness back in at the tank and get her home. I figure 15 minutes depending how cold and how much mud I have to lay in.
I see what your sayin about over pressure, and starvin the AirDog! I was thinkin maybe like a walbro pump but maybe instead of another pump maybe just plumb the line from the canister into the supply line to the AD and let the AD pull from both the pickup tube and the canister. Would this put more stress on the AD pullin from both sources?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think all this is necessary....if the jeep can works like they say it does then that is your answer to the 1/4 problem....there would be no reason to run a second pump if the jeep canister can keep consistent fp readings.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:32 AM

i been wanting to do the jeep mod but am waiting to see if there is any problems with it. i guess i will be waiting a long time as it has been working for people.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Your right 53 guess im just over thinking things, heck with it im just gonnna install it and not worry about it anymore.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 AM

I hope to mod my stock canister next week by installing the 1/2" pick-up inside the canister..I will let you know how it works..if it does..
Old 02-02-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
I hope to mod my stock canister next week by installing the 1/2" pick-up inside the canister..I will let you know how it works..if it does..
That is where mine is and I have not had a problem, but my FP gauge is not hooked up yet to the new system, I hope to get that done this weekend. Here are a few pics of what I did. NOTE the tube has to be on the opposite side of the float to measure fuel in the tank or it will always read empty.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 AM

looks good....I am going to mount my pickup right on top of the canister tho

that looks like red dye in there......
Old 02-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
looks good....I am going to mount my pickup right on top of the canister tho

that looks like red dye in there......
Thanks, and no it is not red dye fuel in there, it was because of the camera.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL
Thanks, and no it is not red dye fuel in there, it was because of the camera.
Make sure to let us know how the FP is. I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Talking

Boy, watching all these fuel pump threads is sure interesting.
- We have guys drilling holes in the tanks for new draw straws
- we have others using the factory in tank pump to feed Holley's or some other pump "in line"
- we have people modifying the factory basket, removing the pump and up-sizing the draw straw
- we have others drilling the tank and locating the new draw straw into the factory basket
- and we have others using the Liberty basket.

No wonder I'm so confused which way I should go!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Yeah no doubt. I don't even think I need a liberty canister now even though I have one. I'm tying into the stock unmodded LP first. That's supposed to work fine with AD100 but I read conflicting info on whether it does. Saw where one guy did it that way and it worked fine so it should work. The liberty was just unecessary money spent but will be a replacement if I ever need one.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM

Yes, and here I liked 53 ****** set-up so much that I was going to incorporate most of it into the installation of mine just altering the return line to also incorporate a line from an aux. tank to fill the OEM tank.

Now with FP fluctuations at less than 1/4 on his, I have to rethink this.

53 ******, you dropped the tank from your truck for the drawstraw install. I was thinking that after cutting and measuring on the floor, is there a chance that the tank bowed on the bottom after reinstallation and your straw is not as close to the bottom of the tank as once thought? Is it possible to add flexible fuel line to the bottom of the straw to position the open end along the bottom of the tank routed towards the middle? Just stuff you've already thought about and I'm thinking out loud.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 PM

I drove my truck yesterday and today just to get below the 1/4 mark.Got down to between 1/8 and E and have no pressure fluctuations.I had never payed any attention before today but all is good on my set-up.I don't know if using a homemade pickup helps(1/2" aluminum tubing w/bulkhead fitting from local race shop) or I'm just lucky.Is there the possibility the drawstraw is swaying in the tank being its plastic?

Quick Reply: AirDog 150 and still use factory supply?