3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New 6.7 flash

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 6.7 flash

I have been hearing on here for a while that there might be a new flash coming soon so i called my service guy and he said a new flash had come in today but he did not know what problems it was fixing yet and wont be able to tell me till next Tuesday.

so do any of the people "in the know" around here know anything about this??? Luke, VZ, Bob, any of you guys!

probably get my hopes crushed but i cant help but hope!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:33 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing as of yet on the dealerconnect site that I could find. Searched 07 2500's and 3500's with the 6.7L.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 PM

This was posted at TDR yesterday:

"The new software is available today, The newest software revision pn# ends in "AU" The tech won't find it if they are searching service bulletins, the bulletin doesn't exist yet, but the program is there. They have to Browse for the new file. It's supposed to change the duty cycle of the turbo actuator and the EGR operation, and some other changes that really weren't explained"
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Without having a starscan tool I can't get the info off of the dealer connect site. The starscan tool hooks directly to the internet(intranet) so they don't have to have a TSB for it to reference. I am sure they will soon though. The latest tsb/software for ecu #'s ending in AU was 12/06 ?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

Thanks for trying VZ and thanks FishOn! by the way at the end of the day do you FishOff?

sorry couldn't resist!

well please post if you find out anything. i sure hope it helps with the bad fuel economy/regens
Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 PM

Can anyone confirm that a new flash is out or is it just an internet rumour?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:07 PM

Yes.
There is an updated reflash!!!
I had it done about an hour ago.
As mentioned in a few posts.........
Your technician has to search for it as a reflash not a bulletin. There is not a bulletin issued yet.
You will know it is the most current because it has a revision # with a "U" in it.
Make sure the technician follows the instructions EXACTLY as they read to perform the procedure correctly.
The first two times I had the CEL on the truck ran fine. This last time it ran very poorly and would not accelerate.(I had all the latest reflashes current through today) This time after the reflash we programed the regen mode and while driving the truck for about 30 minutes it was doing some really strange things for about 20 miles.
I have had a lot of trouble with all of this and I hope it works.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky MTN RAM
This time after the reflash we programed the regen mode and while driving the truck for about 30 minutes it was doing some really strange things for about 20 miles.
Can you elaborate on this statement?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:00 PM

What would you like elaborated on?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 PM

Sorry.......
Didn't fully read your post the first time around.
The first time I had a problem (CEL was on, overhead showed see service center and there was no loss of performance) and we put the ECU in regen mode and drove it there were no changes in performance, CEL or chimes and the overhead display showed nothing out of the ordinary while driving in regen.
This time the truck was running very poorly before the reflash and regen was instigated. It continued to run eratic during the first few miles of regen and the chime kept going off with no CEL, however the overhead display kept jumping around showing the amount for the CAT at all types of percentages anywhere from 20% to 90 % and then no chimes, overhead reading back to normal and performance seems to be back to normal.
Contrary to what a number of posts and dealers have said none of this has anything to do with driving the truck at high RPM's, long periods of time, etc.
I drive very very hard at freeway speeds everyday and also two a 12000 lb. boat once or twice a week.
The truck has had a Pyro in it since day one at it will scare the crap out of you how hot this engine gets just driving unloaded down the road.
I have had over 20 Dodge Diesels, the last one being an 03 3500 SWB AT and I am VERY concerned about this truck??????
Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky MTN RAM
Yes.
There is an updated reflash!!!
I had it done about an hour ago.
As mentioned in a few posts.........
Your technician has to search for it as a reflash not a bulletin. There is not a bulletin issued yet.
You will know it is the most current because it has a revision # with a "U" in it.
Make sure the technician follows the instructions EXACTLY as they read to perform the procedure correctly.
The first two times I had the CEL on the truck ran fine. This last time it ran very poorly and would not accelerate.(I had all the latest reflashes current through today) This time after the reflash we programed the regen mode and while driving the truck for about 30 minutes it was doing some really strange things for about 20 miles.
I have had a lot of trouble with all of this and I hope it works.
Can you, or anybody give any info about the flash? What is it for this time?
and most importantly if a consumer knows about the new reflash and it applies to his truck, will they do the reflash like the rev "b" flash or will they only do it if there is a problem with the unit, I spose i could call the dealer and ask the same questions but i would rather have the input from DTR members first and It may Not be avalable in canada yet.
Thanks everyone!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 PM

To get a free flash,under your basic warranty you normally must go in with a concern.Unless you have a good rapport with tech or advisor.The update you will get will be the most current software.The 6.7 is a bit unique in the way the flash is being done now.It is now a 2 step process (3 if you count taking care of the skim system that must be performed if equipped)and as usual the corporation is not generous in the time allowance.

Bob
Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

I just got the 'new' flash yesterday when they installed a new DPF ! All that I can feel in the seat of my pants is a bit snappier on the bottom end and the Trans tends to up shift to a taller gear before it needs it.. I was turning over 900-1000 rpm's at 45-50 mph..... I’m thinking this must be 5-6 gear.. It was "shaking" more at this 1000 than I ever remember.... and I have never seen it drive at a 1000 for 45 minutes too and from work.

I have 6200 miles and the motor is FOR SURE getting louder like a 5.9 . When I got out of my truck tonight I have to open this big over head door and when I hopped out I started to smile, its beginning to sound better and better..... its 100% stock.

This all could be in my head, but this is the different I notice before and after.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:07 AM

uh oh. what if the louder noise is the turbo going bad?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by evergrey
uh oh. what if the louder noise is the turbo going bad?
Not sure, but I can say that I have gotten to know the bigger people at the dealer and its been in "computer" five times that Ive been to different dealers across the country. They 'main dude' got my truck and was on the phone several times with Chrysler. Then had a meeting at a certain time to talk with DC and Chrysler techs about the truck... They thought it was an 02 sensor but then decided to replace the exhaust. It runs great as of now.... I don't care if the whole darn thing blows up, I will sharpen my pencil to what will need to take place when it does. I will just take care of it and drive it normal and if it 'cans' Ill take it back.......

Just a side note..... I find this strange. Have been dealing with this dealership for several weeks with my truck. I have poked around and have asked several techs and service writers about turbos going out,, EGR;s,, problems in general...... They have ALL said """" O' there were a few issues with a few trucks that were all taken care of with a new flash that came out"""" I asked about turbos going out, EGR issues, and DPF...... They still stuck to the same story..... NO ISSUES, everything is fine and is fixed with the new flash....... then they acted like.... get lost, have a great day!!!!!!!!

THEN,,,,, I dealt with the big dude that Ive been dealing with him with my own truck. I asked him in his office.. Have any issues with any turbos?.... He said YES, they have seen 5-6 that where really messed up.. this is not the words he used... They all had to be replaced and they are backorderd. In the preceding conversation I asked if any issues with the DPF like mine, he said O' YES !!!! Lots of them and they are still coming in with different issues... but the DPF issues are less and less with the new flash programs......
TAKE NOTE : Then I asked about the future of EGR and this motor, He smiled and said "this is going to be the next cluster"... He said this is going to be a problem as the carbon begins to build up more and more.. They have looked / cleaned a ton of then he said... I was asking about the heater core in there and it clogging with carbon... again, he kinda smirked and smiled and said, time will tell but it does not look good for long term..... I was like, O' great !! ! ! ! !

I'm sure everything will be fine, but I cant wait to KEEP it out of the shop and start reading about other people throwing some EGR fooler and straight pipe the darn thing !

Quick Reply: New 6.7 flash