3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Hole in Piston

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hole in Piston

Hi guys,
I'm hoping you guys can educate me on this. I was driving down the highway one night doing about 70, went to pass someone rolled into it, hit about 85, then gently let off...all of a sudden the truck starts shaking like with a rough idle (ugly). I was close enough to home to make it. Next morning I baby it to the shop, it was puffing A LOT of white smoke with a really rough idle.

Shop tore it down and found a hole in one of the pistons. Here's the part I would like to understand. How did I manage to "drill" a hole in the piston...and more importantly...how do I avoid this from happening again!

Here's what I have

EZ
TST
Bullydog
Arctic Twins
Full Suncoast Transmission
FASS

Any help/suggestions/advice/tips is HIGHLY appreciated!!

thanks guys!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:55 PM

I have no idea, but do you have any pics?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, pics? Is there a hole all the way through?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 PM

I am working on getting some pictures. I will hopefully have some tomorrow afternoon.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM

How did I manage to "drill" a hole in the piston
blown or cracked nozzle???
Old 12-20-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the hole in the piston was caused by a bad injector. Excessive EGTs can cause that.

MikeyB
Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Nothing in your signature says you have gages. Without gages you have no idea what your EGT's are. Anything above 1250F and you are weakening the piston top.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Nothing in your signature says you have gages. Without gages you have no idea what your EGT's are. Anything above 1250F and you are weakening the piston top.
the 305/55's are good to 1350 sustained due to the piston oil cooling but otherwise that is my guess also.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:14 PM

Cause of hole in piston,
EZ
TST
Bullydog
Arctic Twins

Tell me you weren't running all three on a daily basis.

Excessive fuel pressure surges on a constant basis causes injector failure leading to fuel in lube oil and aluminum in crankcase. EGT's higher than normal don't help and twins that cause high cylinder pressures keep the heat from escaping fast enough, the cylinder gets heat sinked, the piston doesn't cool you add more heat....Aluminum melts at 1550 sustained.....done. ks.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 PM

blow a nozzle with too much presure, blowtorch a piston RIGHT NOW!

Nuff said.

As an EX DMX owner, I would never ever ever ever run a pressure box on a common rail. I cannot justify the 35 more RWHP you get from them (when stacking) against the risk of torching a piston.

Water Jet Cutting pressures in the injection system already... why crank it up further? I believe that is asking, no make that BEGGING to blow something up.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:28 PM
DTR Advertiser

!!!

Don~
Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 PM

I don't think it has anything to with pressure. Pressure is not going to cut a piston. The new Gen 2 systems are running around 30K psi. The injector is designed to displace the fuel and the pressure simply atomizes the fuel better at that pressure. Now if you had a single hole and were spraying fuel at 26K psi then yes it would probably cut the piston. We are talking about pretty small amounts of fuel and it is mostly fuel particles by the time it hits the cyliners.

Now you could have lost and injector but, it would have been uglier than a small hole.

Most holes are due to excessive egt's. It happens over time typically and is not an instant failure. Over time the pistons look like they have been slightly snadblasted and then over time you will wear a hole in them. Typically it happens on the edge of the piston because of the spray pattern. depending on exactly where the hole is will depend on how bad the truck will act and also how bad the damage is. If you ate through the outer edge then you mght have also hurt the ring and scored the block. That is the worse case scenario. If you have a small hole just off the edge then you might get away with replacing a piston.

I have not seen that many holes in the newer trucks but, a lot of times they are caused by too much duration. What happens is the fuel atomizes differently as the pressure drops and almost makes a puddling affect on the truck. Doing this can create hot spots and lead to piston failure.

Now without seeing the whole motor and doing a bunch of work I cannot tell you what happened but, there are a lot of scenarios out there.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:41 PM
DTR Advertiser

Send me the piston. FA is my second career/specialty
Old 12-20-2006, 11:49 PM

better yet , send him the injector also. check my gallery and you will see a piston that went thru a stuck injector in ISB common rail, not enough to cause hydraulic failure. but enough to create a lot of heat. this engine came in running.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:59 PM

Im going to go with the injector theory. I could be off in left field, but with the added pressure from the ez, the pressures from the twin turbos, and the advanced timing from the tst, if a injector let go it could cause a blow torch for a second or 2, which could cause a smallish hole in your piston, very similar as if you used a acetelyne torch.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Hole in Piston