2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering fluid

So this morning it was about 0* here and I went out to see how the truck started with the new batteries. I also had it plugged in on timer for about 2 hours prior to start up. The truck rolled quite nice and started as usual. The thing I noticed was the noise coming from the power steering pump. I have noticed this since I have owned my truck but it has been getting worse every year. It only does it when its cold( below 10*) but this morning it was way worse, this was the coldest morning all winter. It took about 5 or 6 miles to get the thing to start to quiet down but I guess as the fluid warmed it thinned out. I have been going to replace my steering fluid for a couple years now but always put it off, but today was the day. I picked up a bottle of fluid at the dealer and a turkey baster at the local store. I have done this method before on a Mustang that I owned and I know its not the best way to get some good fluid in the system but it does work and its fairly easy. I sucked out 3 or 4 ounces each time and replaced it with fresh fluid. I then started the engine and turned the wheel back and forth a couple times to get the fluid moving. I did this till the quart of fluid was gone. The color of the first stuff was bad. It was really dark and thick, being in the truck for 10 + years, no wonder at those cold temps it must have been thick.
As I replaced the fluid it got clearer and thinner till the point of running out of fresh it was still a bit dark but way thinner and just looked better. I will give it a go in about 8 hours when I go to work, hopeing it will not be so loud. I will post the results tomorrow night as to the out come. Has anyone else had this experience and did new fluid quiet things down any? I can't imagine living where its at or below 0* for any lenght of time, these trucks don't seem to me that they like that much cold all that much.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM

Redline, Royal Purple, and Valvoline all make synthetic power steering fluid. Next time use the synthetic P.S. fluid. It definitely is the way to go in cold climates. -Glen
Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 PM

this type of pump is much better and you can suck out 8-12oz at a time. also syn PS fluid is a much better choice, I pump my PS fluid out every oil change

Name:  675A0162.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  93.1 KB
Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup syn PS is the way to go in cold climates i changed mine out 2 yrs ago glad i did. During the winter months the PS would whine non stop.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I used to switch to synthetic fluid until I tried LubeGard Power Steering Treatment.
Works just as well as syn, easier to add and cheaper.
Most autoparts stores carry it as well as amazon.com

Info> http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-198/LUBE...uid+Protectant
Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I try to change my PS fluid every 2 years. Good, clean fluid is more important than fancy fluids, IMO. It definitely helps to change it regularly.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 PM

All good advice, I like that fancy fluid pump I may have to swipe one of my wifes hair care pumps. I drove today at about 5* and it was very quiet. Just at start-up it whined a bit but stopped right away. I think I will pick up another quart of something and do it again.May use synthetic ( I know it would be better ) but as Robert said" clean fluid is more important"
We often forget about all the other stuff that needs attention.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My Toyota pickup has the same PS fluid in it that it came with new in 1982, 340k miles ago.
Took a little fluid out about ten years ago to add some LubeGard, the old fluid looked the same as it did when I bought the truck brand new.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM

throwing my 2 cents out there. i swapped out my ps fluid with atf and haven't had a bit of trouble. was having trouble with the whining and being stubborn at the -10+ temps here. the atf fixed the problem. was told by mechanic that the atf not only stays thinner it doesnt foam or get air bubbles as bad as ps fluid in super cold temps.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PS fluid is probably the most neglected fluid on any vehicle, but its also very vital, especially on our trucks where it runs the brakes and power steering.

Synthetic is huge for PS, it has made a difference on every rig I have swapped it out on.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Check the FSM. I believe that ATF is specifically prohibited for some years.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the capacity of the system?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrclean
What's the capacity of the system?
That was something I searched for and never found, becuase of brake/steering variables it wasn't listed.

I bought a gallon of fluid and used just about all of it. I am not sure of differences in 2nd vs 3rd gen, so this may not help, however here is what I did.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...h-t280939.html
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think a quart of fluid will be enough if you carefully drain / refill the fluid using the FSM procedure. However, not spilling any would be a feat I could not repeat. With the hydroboost, the FSM calls for removing both lines, and of course I placed the steering return into the smaller of the two containers I used. Once the engine started, the fluid came out so fast that it over flowed all over the place. Pouring fluid in can't really be done fast enough to avoid emptying the reservoir and foaming it all up. Once foamed up, it will back out and spill as soon as the engine is shut down.
In short, get two quarts at the least, three is better. Amsoil synthetic can be bought for <$10 a quart, and as such is only twice the cost of the cheapest Prestone. I bought prestone and the new fluid gelled up at -10F inside its factory can. The synthetic fluid has much lower viscosity at cold temperatures, and the price difference is not high enough to matter.
I used Redline but will use Amsoil next time.
It is unbelievable how dirty the old fluid was in my truck, and it also had water at the bottom of the containers I drained it into. That water, when frozen, is I think what would cause the pump to make noise, as well as the thicker, gelled up fluid.
When my steering got very noisy this winter at -5F, I added a couple of ounces of PowerService anti gel to the PS pump. The fluid immediately liquified and PS did not make any noise down to -25F but I was worried about the anti gel eating away o-rings, so as soon as the weather warmed up a bit I replaced the PS fluid with Redline synthetic. The problem was, all the store had was 2 qts so I ran out and had to use Royal Purple to top off. Well, I guess I know have Royal Red Line PS fluid in my truck
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
I used to switch to synthetic fluid until I tried LubeGard Power Steering Treatment.
Works just as well as syn, easier to add and cheaper.
Most autoparts stores carry it as well as amazon.com

Info> http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-198/LUBE...uid+Protectant
I checked and nobody carries it around my area. Only thing is I can buy it online and have it shipped (expensive)

Quick Reply: Power steering fluid