1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel pin grind profile

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel pin grind profile

I see a lot of different profiles on cut fuel pins, but I've never seen anyone explain what the different profiles will do. For example, cutting deeper, cutting higher or lower, curved or straight cut, etc. Would anyone be willing to use their skills with MSDraw or using photos or whatever to show what effect the different cuts will have, like more low end power, more high end power, smoother response, quicker response. At what point do you stop grinding because the pin is bottoming out? I'm ready to break out the dremel but before I start just randomly grinding I want to make sure I get the desired result and don't cut too much so that I cause problems. Thanks for all the great info you guys put out.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The deeper you cut the pin the more fuel you are going to get. If you cut it deep from the bottom to the top it will get a lot of fuel all the time. If you only cut it deep at the top it will only get a lot of fuel when you mash the throttle. I don't think you can grind a stock fuel pin far enough to cause any issue's.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM

What does the sloped cut do versus a straight cut? More gradual fuel increase?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Chapter President

yep, deeper you are the more fuel you will get at one point.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM

So, cutting it deep from the bottom to the top will help all the way from low end to top end while cutting it deep only at the top will help just your top end (higher rpm's)?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 PM

Pretty much, I believe it only takes about ten pounds of boost to push the fuel pin all the way down. The sloped cut versus a straight cut will simply affect your fuel delivery. A straight cut will be gradual compared to a cut that slopes steeply in at the top, which will be mild at low boost but come on hard around medium boost.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 AM

That is true, even the most aggressive cut on a stock pin will still leave a good margin for improvement. Here is a simple drawing of a good cut on your stock pin......

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 AM

The amount of boost required to push the pin all the way down is solely dependent on your star wheel. If you turn you star wheel all the way UP, it will take more boost. Most people turn it all the way to the bottom to get full fuel at lower boost pressures.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:37 AM

Here is a comparison of the stock pin to a DennyT pin which a lot of people use.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-28-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ramrod90
That is true, even the most aggressive cut on a stock pin will still leave a good margin for improvement. Here is a simple drawing of a good cut on your stock pin......

[IMG][/IMG]
thats exactly how mine is ground, and it performs excellent, i can see my self buying a denny t in the future though
Old 04-28-2009, 04:44 PM

Awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for. I was originally going to get a Denny T but I thought I would try the grind first. I guess if I screw it up too bad I can get Denny's. Did you put the pin in a vise? Denny's looks really aggressive, I don't see how you could cut a stock pin that much.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Rickcher if your on a budget grind it down and you will see a difference. If you have $105.00 to spare DennyT will fix you up. I like the DennyT pin it does what it's supposed to do. By the way if you look at a thread on here today in bold letters it says DennyT--anyways look there he just started a new venture for 1st gens and has his web site listed. Good luck with your truck.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 PM

If Denny's pin will get you about 40 hp, how much do you think you would get from grinding? Also, if your pump is already turned up, will you still see the 40 hp gain or will it be less?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 PM

i dought grinding your own will give you a full 40 horse, but it felt like 60 when i ground mine like that. i had a straight cut for almost a year and then i ground it like posted above and it was night and day. i grind it and if its to your liking, keep it, if you want more later buy a denny t,
Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 PM

Even if you have very minor pump mods the DennyT will feel like a whole new monster compared to a home cut stocker. I have both and the DennyT is worth EVERY penny. I believe the DennyT gives you 40hpOVER a cut stock pin. That is was I was led to understand and it sure feels like it. On a completely stock pump you will not eel much with either pin but as you turn some screws up their benifits become MUCH more apparent. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Fuel pin grind profile