1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Brake Spring Tool ???????????/

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Brake Spring Tool ???????????/

I have seen a Kd tool supposedly for installing the rear brake shoe springs. How does it work? I have been using the pull and tug method, but am tired of losing my skin on my fingers. Could someone enlighten me? thks
Old 08-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Here you go, bloodless brake repair.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=207170

Jim
Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
This tool will easily do all your spring removal and installation. May leave a little divot in the shoe face, but it is of no consequence. It's called a brake spring pliers.

The jaws have a hook opposed by a point. The hook gets the spring, and the point will get traction on the lining, enabling you to stretch the spring. The cup dealy at the end of one handle is to put on retainers of most brake shoes.

I think I get the hold down springs with a small vice grips.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:36 PM

Ok thanks guys. The springs I am having hell with are the short stubby one's that connect to the small nail looking wire. I don't see how any of those tools will work. I have never seen them used. Thanks agains. I guess I will go buy some bandaids, and go try again.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
If it is a coil spring with a hook on each end that hooks to a bent nail you will need a special brake tool that is shaped like a shepherds hook on one end and a screw driver handle on the other. I had to make my own.
There is a picture of it in my gallery. I can't remember how to post it.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
For our rear shoes, you will need this tool

Amazon.com : Vim Products BRAKE SPRING TOOL (DODGE; FORD & INT TRUCKS) : Other Products : Everything Else Amazon.com : Vim Products BRAKE SPRING TOOL (DODGE; FORD & INT TRUCKS) : Other Products : Everything Else

I bought it, and it does the job. Not very well, but it does the job.

I'm sure if I bought a "snap on" version of it, it would work better.... but for how many times I utilize it... I'm okay with "adequate".
Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I usually do it with 45* pliers and a lot of pulling, slipping (with the occasional smashed or skinned knuckle), cussing, and anger.

Sound about right?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatnik
If it is a coil spring with a hook on each end that hooks to a bent nail you will need a special brake tool that is shaped like a shepherds hook on one end and a screw driver handle on the other. I had to make my own.
There is a picture of it in my gallery. I can't remember how to post it.
Have used one like this before, kind of "S" shaped on the end, to go through the center of the coil and lever it over. It's really brilliant, but I can't find a picture.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by loudhornsrule
Ok thanks guys. The springs I am having hell with are the short stubby one's that connect to the small nail looking wire. I don't see how any of those tools will work. I have never seen them used. Thanks agains. I guess I will go buy some bandaids, and go try again.

This is exactly what this tool is made for.

Sorry I thought it showed how to use it in my post, but it is something like a screwdriver, once it is in your hand it is pretty self explanatory how to use it.

But this is that tool KD3499

You see the groove at the end of the tool, with the hold down spring loaded in the shoe and the hold down pin inserted through the backing plate, you load the long open end of the spring into the groove and by lifting up on the handle this forces the end of the spring downwards and you simply hook it onto the pin.

It is really simple once you try it

I also have several pairs of Return Spring pliers but I rarely use them,

I clip onto the spring with a pair of Vise Grips near the center of the axle tube and use a long 18" screwdriver, using the axle tube as a pivot I stretch the spring and hook the spring onto the opposite brake shoe.

Again this sounds confusing but once you do it it is really simple and works well.

I have pinched my fingers many times using channellocks when I did not have the proper tools with me.

Jim
Old 08-22-2014, 05:50 AM

Ok thanks guys. My next question is for jim l. I'm replacing my wheel seal, and I have a groove cut in the axle itself. I plan on repairing it with an axle sleeve(just like in your writeup). My question is will I have to use a bigger seal or is the sleeve so thin, that the factory fit new seal will work? Thanks fellas
Old 08-22-2014, 09:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The speedy sleeve is thin. You use the stock replacement seal.

With no sig and not knowing what the truck is. A DRW uses a CR 30030 seal. I don't know the number for the SRW axle.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Ok thanks guys. I bought that KD tool, and it works great. Thanks for all the help
Old 08-22-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the too the JMartin has. It is a life and skin saver!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
kd no longer makes the kd3499 but I found them new on ebay for less then KD's list price. With a buy it now with free shipping. I made one that kind of worked but got one off ebay for the next time I do the brakes witch is coming up Ken
Old 08-22-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Hey Jim,
The KD spring tool seems to be made of unobtainium. Is there a chance you could provide some other views and measurements so I could fabricate one?

Quick Reply: Brake Spring Tool ???????????/