3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Block Heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Heater not working

I have 2006 Dodge and the last week when I leave my truck plugged in all night the wait to start light still comes on in the morning and it seems as though the truck is cold. I am assuming its a problem with the cord or element. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot so I know which one it is and how hard is it to change the element if that is the problem?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How cold was it? Was it windy? The block has to get above 66*F for the WTS light not to come on.

Did you verify the extension cord has power? Block heaters will trip GFCI's pretty easily.

Can you measure the resistance thru the block heater cord?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You can hear the block heater working. it will sound like an old coffee percolator. And the grid heaters coming on are based on air temp, not coolant temp, which is what the block heater is heating.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Use an ohm meter and check the element by touching the probes to the power terminals. You should see some resistance there. If nothing shows up you have an OPEN circuit meaning the element is the issue or the wiring to the heater element. Use an ampmeter to check the element if it passes the above test and see if it's drawing power. Probably a broken wire, those things are pretty bulletproof.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Mine did the same thing. It was the cord. Had a broken wire at the plug.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AH64ID
How cold was it? Was it windy? The block has to get above 66*F for the WTS light not to come on.

Did you verify the extension cord has power? Block heaters will trip GFCI's pretty easily.

Can you measure the resistance thru the block heater cord?
Originally Posted by 1-2-3
You can hear the block heater working. it will sound like an old coffee percolator. And the grid heaters coming on are based on air temp, not coolant temp, which is what the block heater is heating.

With this extreme cold we've had here my WTS light comes on and stays for a good bit (haven't timed) before it goes out.

I just got my block heater cord attached last week and have used it this week. I had my truck plugged in overnight Wednesday. (DFW so location with the OP is about right). I go to start the truck Thursday morning and the WTS light didn't come on.

Can the block be warmed enough to heat the air in the under hood compartment that the grid heater doesn't cycle? The grid heater is right there on the block right?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shorts
With this extreme cold we've had here my WTS light comes on and stays for a good bit (haven't timed) before it goes out.

I just got my block heater cord attached last week and have used it this week. I had my truck plugged in overnight Wednesday. (DFW so location with the OP is about right). I go to start the truck Thursday morning and the WTS light didn't come on.

Can the block be warmed enough to heat the air in the under hood compartment that the grid heater doesn't cycle? The grid heater is right there on the block right?
When you say extreme cold, what temps, If it is in the teens or 20's my truck the WTS light will not come on due to the head from the block heater. If it is plug in over night you can open the hood and feel the heat coming off the motor.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Purplezr2
When you say extreme cold, what temps, If it is in the teens or 20's my truck the WTS light will not come on due to the head from the block heater. If it is plug in over night you can open the hood and feel the heat coming off the motor.
Negative wind chills, single-to-20* temps in the a.m.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

I had mined plugged in all night last Wed, Thurs, and Friday and each morning when I turned the key the light immediately goes off and she fires like it's a summer day. If your block heater is working you will get steam off the head and block if water hits it . Accidentally left it plugged in one time and went out to install a new coat of clean on the ol gal and when I popped the hood to wash the motor...LOOK OUT!!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 AM

Yes it can. It has to be VERY VERY VERY VERY cold and/or VERY windy to now allow a block heater to get the block and intake up to 66*F. The intake heats a little slower due to heat transfer but my block and intake are always within about 2* of each other in the morning, whether its been plugged in for 90 minutes or overnight.

Last few times I used the block heater overnight it was between -5* and 0* each night, and the block was 91-98* each morning, depending on the wind. Once the motor started it dropped to the low 80*s, but the WTS was off when I first turned the key on.

The WTS may not illuminate but the grid heaters are still working.

Negative wind chills, single-to-20* temps in the a.m.
Remeber wind chill won't cool the block. It does help the block cool to ambient temps sooner, but the block/truck/etc can't cool off more than ambient.

Originally Posted by jhenson
I had mined plugged in all night last Wed, Thurs, and Friday and each morning when I turned the key the light immediately goes off and she fires like it's a summer day. If your block heater is working you will get steam off the head and block if water hits it . Accidentally left it plugged in one time and went out to install a new coat of clean on the ol gal and when I popped the hood to wash the motor...LOOK OUT!!!!!
How warm was it out? I have never seen my block get above about 110*, thou I don't plug it in overnight if its above freezeing out.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM

Great info AH64ID - thank you.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the day I noted up there, I started the truck and idle was normal. About a minute or two later high idle engaged.

What is the relationship between (high) idle, the grid heater and temps?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM

The auto fast idle will kick in as follows..

~32*F and lower the rpms will ramp up to 1,000 after 2 minutes of uninterupted (thorttle, gear, brake, etc) idle and the coolant is below 200*. This will also happen after driving for a while and the intake air temp and ambient temp are below freezing.

~15*F and lower (I have seen it happen as high as 23*F), the rpm's will go to 1,000 as soon as you start it.

The WTS light will happen anytime the ambient/manifold temps are below 66*F. The duration is temp dependant. After start the grids will operate for apporx 120-150 secons, or until you reach 18 mph.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am in the DFW area and we have been having upper teen to low twenties for several nights. I used a different extension cord last night and different outlet. Made sure I had power and I am sure the block heater is not working. I'll mess with the cord tomorrow since it is finally going to warm up enough to wash and change oil.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by texasram2500
Thanks for the replies. I am in the DFW area and we have been having upper teen to low twenties for several nights. I used a different extension cord last night and different outlet. Made sure I had power and I am sure the block heater is not working. I'll mess with the cord tomorrow since it is finally going to warm up enough to wash and change oil.
We're suppose to be warming up into the 70s next week!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-2-3
mine works perfectly, but it is silent

Quick Reply: Block Heater not working