1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

>>> 1st Gen. SUCCESS STORY <<<

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts
Wink >>> 1st Gen. SUCCESS STORY <<<

A really nice older Dodge 1-ton 4x4 truck came in our shop the other day.

This truck looked better than new; flawless, well designed steel flat; good hitches; lots of lights; stout well-built bumpers; everything about this truck was in A-ONE shape.

It took my eye as soon as it pulled onto the lot.

The guy that owned the truck said "Do you remember me ??"

I didn't, so he went on to explain.

As the story goes, about four years ago, this same guy was in our shop and he and I got into a conversation.

He was asking what I knew and thought of a particular BRAND NEW Ford diesel ton truck that had been sitting on the dealers lot for a couple days.

He was in bad need of "a" truck; the bank had given him the OKAY; and he had already checked with his insurer as to how much it was going to cost to insure this new truck.

I figured my words were falling on deaf ears, as this guy had new paint fever really bad.

I asked him how much the monthly payments would be = something like $750/month, give or take.

Full coverage commercial insurance was about as much.

Sales tax and new truck property taxes were going to be astronomical.

I told him that he could buy just about any old used 1-ton truck for a couple thousand dollars.

Then (and this part of my statement is of extreme importance), being very disciplined about it and not shirking, spend a total of $600 EVERY MONTH on this used truck, TEN MONTHS of the year; and, before the year was out, he would already have a much better, more dependable truck, than any dealership could sell him.

Keep up with this disciplined investment of $600/month for ten months of the second year and he would have a super-nice truck that would be nicer than anyone's shiny new truck.

I also told him that those new truck payments, insurances, and taxes, were going to be there every month, twelve months of the year, rain or shine, in good times or bad, in sickness or health, come famine and pestilence, regardless of presidential administration or political affiliation, divorce, or whatever.

Whereas, on the other hand, this old used truck would be paid for in full at time of purchase; should he get kidney stones, dysentery, or bad headaches and could not work, it would not be the end of the world if he missed a month or two of spending his allotted $600/month on the truck; it would still be sitting in the driveway, waiting for times to get better.

Not so with the shiny new one; miss one payment after five faithful years and they are gonna come repossess it.

Fail to have the insurance money one time and the sheriff is going to come take the tags.

Not have the tax money at years end and they will sell it at the courthouse door.

To make a long story still longer, it turns out that this guy DID heed my advice, forgot about the new truck, and, before the week was out, found and bought this nice older truck.

Not only that, but he went ahead with the plan and, every month, layed aside $600 to maintain/repair/upgrade the truck.

It showed, too, as it was one NICE truck.

He told me that he oft thought of our conservation and was glad that he had talked with me some four years ago.

Once in a while somebody listens.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely terrific advise BearKiller.

Many of my buddies ask why I have not bought a new $50,000+ vehicle like the rest of my class... especially since I was one of the biggest diesel junkies. I just remind them that mine is paid off, does just as much as theirs, and gets way more attention for character and old school style. I can also have a lot more fun upgrading mine without just buying tuners and bolt on pieces.

I should set up a similar account of $600 a month or so for the trucks... it would stop me from spending MORE sometimes!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 AM

that is a nice story, but... i would be nicer with pics lol
Old 07-17-2010, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i enjoyed it too...just wish i could see that truck
Old 07-17-2010, 12:42 AM

Another point to consider :

If one cannot afford to spend $600/month on their current truck, they are not going to be able to make truck payments either.

This guy was tickled pink with his accomplishment.

He was so proud, and rightfully so, as he was showing me various upgrades and improvements he had made.

He was bragging on how it pulled twelve big six-foot John Deere rolls of hay up so-and-so hill and did not stall, which is a rare feat for any truck.

This truck was proudly washed, waxed, polished, and shined on EVERY spot where one might look, inside and out, and it worked hard every day for it's keep, so this was no light accomplishment.

On the other hand, I see guys in the shop every day, still making payments on three-year-old trucks; dusty, dirty, filthy inside the cab, dents and dings all over, nothing personal or special whatsoever about them, just a truck like anyone else that wants to make payments can own and drive.

These guys are often of snappy ill temperament, over-worked and stressed, too fed up with meeting monthly payments to find any desire to wash the filthy truck that has made them a slave.

When they are finally in their last year of making payments, that knocking sound in the transmission has gotten worse, and the back glass has been card-board and duct-tape for two years, they go and buy another new one; inflation has driven up the price, so the manufacturers have extended the payback period a couple more years, so they have to put up with the card-board back-glass on the next one for a couple years longer, yet they keep going back for more.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

, had to get Gary in there, and the pichers guy.

Yea my Dad won't stop talking about the fact that his 05 has 1 more payment left , and i think it's the end of this month !
Old 07-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Very cool story.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 AM

When my wife insisted that I buy a newer truck because my 1st gen "rode like a truck" and the newer ones didn't - I had a few choice words about trucks are suposed to be trucks not limos, etc....

I saw it was falling on deaf ears, so we went looking for a 'newer' truck.
After 3 weeks she found one she liked - and I'll have to admit the '06 QC LB Cummins sure did look good and drove good too.
After talking with the salesman we went home and I showed her what I could do my truck for 1/2 what the new one cost, how much longer mine would last, and how much LESS my insurance would be - plus we could spend a nice month in Europe and the Mediteranian on vacation.....

That was in '07 - haven't heard a word since
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by unixcowboy
After talking with the salesman we went home and I showed her what I could do my truck for 1/2 what the new one cost, how much longer mine would last, and how much LESS my insurance would be - plus we could spend a nice month in Europe and the Mediteranian on vacation.....

How was Europe ??; never yet been myself.

Sorry about my inability with pictures.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Great story "Bearkiller" and a good one from the "Cowboy" too. Excellent visual interjection by Brandon. An excellent post to get the 1st Gen DTR brethren back on track after a confusing and some times irritating last couple of days on the site.

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son

, had to get Gary in there, and the pichers guy.

Yea my Dad won't stop talking about the fact that his 05 has 1 more payment left , and i think it's the end of this month !

Let me be sure I have this straight; Brandon, that IS you on the right, holding the "PICHERS" sign, right ??
Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
Once in a while somebody listens.
this has to be one of the most satisfying and encouraging facts of life. That every once in a long while someone will listen to good advise and it works well for them. And every so often later on in life, you find out and are rewarded with a thank you and get to see first hand the fruit of the advise given.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by unixcowboy
When my wife insisted that I buy a newer truck because my 1st gen "rode like a truck" and the newer ones didn't
It's not really that big a difference. The new ones are better riding and handling, but not that much, unless you spend $3-4k on suspension upgrades. The 1st Gen has been my daily driver since day one and probably always will be. It's just more fun to drive.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never thought of it that way. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:02 AM

my wife and i life by the same rules our last new rig was a 01 forerunner and we still use it for long trips. all the rest are oldies. i am bring a 85 diesel 3/4 ton 4x4 back to life as we speak. new interior that we sewed is just about done. bearkiller wish we lived closer i would stop by. i preach the same thing no payments are the best kind. and if you have a long vacation trip rent a rig for the week.

Quick Reply: >>> 1st Gen. SUCCESS STORY <<<