3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Volant Powercore intake (56K death)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Volant Powercore intake (56K beware)

After speaking with the Volant folks at SEMA in November, I've been wanting to get their new Powercore intake. I finally got around to ordering one, and it arrived yesterday. I don't know how many of these are out there. It took a few e-mails back and forth with the VP at Volant to get this one.

The Powercore filter is made by Donaldson, read up on it here:

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/001220.pdf

The filter looks similar to what the newer Ford trucks are running. These filters require no oil or maintainence, and are supposed to be able to hold two pounds of dirt and still be effective.

The intake looks fairly standard for Volant, basically well made and well thought out. I did find a couple of things that could use improvement that I will point out. I started out be inspecting and photographing the components, so here we go with pics of the filter, filter box, and intake tube.

I like the shape of this funnel behind the air filter.

This is where the sensor goes, you have to drill your own holes.

To be continued in the next post, 10 images max.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 PM

On to the install. After removing the stock filter box and tube I tried to put the Volant box in position. I ran into a snag. The filter box was hitting the AC condenser lines on the bottom, but the bolt holes were too far from the nut inserts to start the threads. The outlet from the filter box didn't look like it was lining up right either.

It appeared to me that the box needed to be spaced up a little bit. I took the rubber grommets that secure the factory filter box and used some longer 3/8" bolts I had in the cabinet.

This spaced the box up enough that the output was lining up with the tube and the box was clearing the AC lines. The box ended up approximately 1.2" higher. The hood closes without contact, so I don't think there will be any clearance issues.

The filter fit in the box well.

Here is the finished install with their cover installed.

I took the truck around the block for a first impression. I generally drive my diesel like an old man, so the seat of the pants dyno isn't very good. Also, I removed my camper shell yesterday, so that's 200 lb or so off the bed rails.
When I hammer the throttle the truck blows some smoke and hauls ***. I couldn't difinitively tell you how much more power it has. I purchased the intake for an increase in MPG and better filtration. I'll have to report back on MPG later.

The truck does now have a nice turbo whistle to it. It is pretty subtle compared to the whistle on my dad's PSD. Stock I could barely hear it under heavy acceleration. Now I can hear it slightly while driving normally, and it is noticible under hard acceleration. I did not remove the silencer ring.

The part number on the Volant box is 164596, not to be confused with their non Powercore model which is 16559.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking set-up!!
nice write up as well!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 AM

Pretty sure this new CAT generator uses a similar type filter. The filters are a pretty cool design.

http://www.cat2-4mw.com/features.html

#3 shows a pic
Old 01-24-2009, 12:28 AM

I read all of the literature I could find on the Donaldson filter. They have many commercial applications. I'm hoping I can find one of their filters that will fit on my Bronco in place of the oiled K&N filter.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:05 AM

will the power core filter fit in the other box 16559? or do you need the other box? id like this filter in mine
Old 01-24-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Impressive filter!

MikeyB
Old 01-24-2009, 10:59 AM

The particular filter used in this kit would not fit in the 16559 box, it is very wide at the base. There may be another Powercore filter that could fit in that box.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 PM

I had a couple of thoughts since the install.

First: Since the Powercore filter media is largely not open to visual inspection, I need a way to determine how much dirt is inside. I took the filter out and weighed it on my postage scale. I wrote down the weight on the filter itself. I will remove the filter at every other oil change and see how it is doing.

Second: There is not provision for the filter minder to be installed on the Volant system. I was thinking of adding a 5/8" hole in the side of the intake tube to install the filter minder. I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I don't see where it would hurt.

I haven't driven the truck further than the grocery store since the install. I'll be putting about 600 miles on the truck by next Monday, mixed city and highway.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM

That is a nice set up. How much for the kit, and how much for replacement filters if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM

The kit was $350. I have no idea what the replacement filters will cost. I'm going to guess that the filters are $60 or so, and should last 50K miles or so.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 06 dmax used a filter like that stock. Expensive to replace and running otr lasted about 30k.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:46 PM

My response to a PM asking how the setup was working:

It's good sofar. I have about 1500 miles on it, probably 900 of that is highway at 75 mph. I inspected it this morning and everything was just as when I installed it. I haven't entered the fuel receipts into my spreadsheet yet to see if there is any increased mileage or not.

I verified that the Donaldson powercore media is the same as what Ford and GM are using on their new diesels. The diesel techs at the Chevrolet shop that service copper mine trucks said the filters are great.

I can't really say much about pure performance, as I seldomly go full throttle. The few times I've let it rip on a freeway ramp it pulls you into the seat pretty good, but there's no way to tell if it's significantly more than with the factory airbox. With the exception of this intake the engine is bone stock. I am thinking about adding one of the Donaldson 51" mufflers to help it breathe more, but I don't know how much better it can get with the kitty still in place. I have no plans to remove it.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 AM

The power core filters run about 100 bucks, I had one on my AFE but did not like the fact it pulled the air in from the front of the filter only. I changed to the Volant system and the diesel oiled filter. I will tell you when I pulled the AFE trq tube off it looked brand new on the inside.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 PM

About 4 months in and all is well. The filter still looks new except for a few bugs that got sucked to the front of it. I'm planning on weighing the filter when I do my next oil change.

Quick Reply: Volant Powercore intake (56K death)