TXDTR #8 Forum for the Texas chapter #8

October 2012 GTG

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
October 2012 GTG

Hi guys. I'm going to offer up my place if ya'll want to have a DTR 8 get together for Oct. 6th. Jana will be out of town and Jared has an all day band contest. Soo....if anybody wants to go to Denton for the races, pulls and dyno, perhaps we can get together and make a day of it and come back to McKinney for some eats. What say you????

Old 09-27-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im game (Now im down the road now!), but don't know about going to the races for me at least. I dont want to get too bowdy bowdy before i have to get up at 4:30 the next morn.....
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM

I'd like to maybe dyno again, but I don't plan to race. Maybe we can go early and come back early. If there is no interest, that's fine. I'm just making my place available to come back as a group and hang out if anybody is interested.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Well it looks like there is no interest in a GTG this weekend. Im surprized there are not some comments at least, one way or the other. DTR 8 has definately died and gone to Heaven.

We used to get together almost monthly, now we can't even get together 'ANNUALLY'!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm out for this weekend. We're heading down to Giddings on Friday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (blame my phone for any typos)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 AM

I knew you had a conflict Justin....no problemo. In the past we would have had several responses of yes or no and perhaps discussion for another date, mingled in with other things going on in our lives. But now, it's just crickets chirping.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 PM

Well i hate that I just saw this. It looks like all the boards are dead lately. Was just over on the 1st gen site and it's slow.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Just for the sake of keeping some semblance of life in the #8 forum, here what I've had going on.

I had posted earlier about the issues I had at the end of July that seemed like they were VP44 related. The shop didn't find anything after test driving it over the course of a week and we didn't want to just throw parts at it, so I brought it home and it didn't give me any more dead pedal issues. It never did seem to run quite right in that one time it would throw massive clouds of smoke if I thought about putting my foot on the pedal and other times it would be completely clean with my foot buried in it. I drove it for a month and a half without any more issues, till I went to Giddings in the middle of September. Once I got about an hour from home, it started up with the dead pedal again. This time it wasn't just a quick on/off, it lasted a couple of seconds each time. Nothing like passing a semi on a 2 lane and getting dead pedal right as you get to his front bumper. It probably happened 15-20 times over the course of the trip. But still not a single code was thrown.

Decided to bite the bullet and just go with the new VP since the APPS was checking out fine. I went back to the HO VP since I don't have any plans to put a wire tap box back on her. Let me say, it's a changed truck now. There was a lot of power missing previously that I didn't realize and now I can see firsthand proof of the claims about the Mach injectors running clean. I'm getting roughly the same amount of smoke that I would get with my worn out set of DD2s that were rated 60hp less than the M4s. And it's really easy to drive it clean in town again.

So I guess now it's time to divert focus back to working on the front end. I've already replaced the full steering linkage with new greasable parts. Probably going to put some 1" spacers on the front coils to raise the height slightly so I can get my axle back under center. Even with my adjustable 3rd gen track bar completely shortened, I'm still slightly off center to the passenger side. Has anyone done the steering box adjustments (overcenter and preload) with any success? Or is 250K about what can be expected from a steering box?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel was a whopping $.80 a gallon higher than regular gas at the truck stops in Anna yesterday!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Between Prosper and Celina, the diesel price varies by about $.40-.50. Prosper has 2 stations with $4.19 and $4.09. You go five miles up the road to Brookshires in Celina and it was $3.70.

I've noticed that up and down I-35 on the way to Giddings, I haven't seen any truck stop recently selling for less than $4.00, even though I routinely buy it locally for less.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Chapter President

$3.879 was the cheapest I've found at Racetrac around here.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 AM

October 1 was 1 yr for the dodge
29,843 mi
2231 gallons
$8562 in fuel

Thank God for fuel card.... Dang things are expensive.

9.56mpg - 15.30 mpg
9.56 was entirely at 21860 gross...
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Chapter President

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/Lea...TE_NUS_DPG&f=W
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I watch wind blow...

HI guys!

Well it's sad for me to report but I sold the Dodge in September... I'll get another one some day. I got a very fair amount and sold it to a real good guy that has good pans for her and will take care of her.

Brian, it looks like you keep a pretty good log of your fuel, I do the same in the VW, every fill up I write down miles, cost per gallon, mileage and where I got the fuel. Had the car since the end of February and it has 19.5K miles already! I love that car!

we are currently in process of buying a decent chunk of Red Dirt just north of Abilene to settle down on in the future. if/when the deal goes thru all y'all are welcome to come out for a GTG.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Hi guys, glad to see some response on our board.

My truck has undergone a few minor changes that make a dramatic difference in the "look". I have gone back to stock polished 3rd gen wheels, 285/75/17 "E" rated 3970lb per tire Nitto Duragrapplers, removed the 2nd gen sport badging and replaced with chrome "c" badging, replaced the grill with the stock chrome grill, replaced the headlights with chrome light (instead of the faded black ones) and replaced the lightbulbs with Sylvania silverstars, and replaced the tailpipe with a chrome turndown.

I guess i'm an old man now, so my truck is now set up a little more fitting for my age and needs. After pulling my toyhauler to far eastern Kentucky this past summer I realize how much easier it should be towing with these new tires vs. those "D" rated 35'' muds.

I can't believe how much easier my truck is to steer and it is so quiet.

Name:  DSCN1570.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  170.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1565.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  DSCN1563.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  132.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1566.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  153.2 KB