TXDTR #8 Forum for the Texas chapter #8

March at The Ranch!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the catalytic converter?

How about something in the braking system?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
Have you checked the catalytic converter?

How about something in the braking system?
I'll see if I can find where the muffler is at now and make sure it's clear.

I even checked to make sure I didn't fall for the old "banana in the tailpipe"....but that would be an extremely large banana.

I don't think it's braking related since the slowdown doesn't hit as hard if I press the clutch when I lift off the accelerator. But that was some unscientific testing at 60mph on Preston before I got home Sunday since I wasn't keen on trying it on I-35 in traffic. But coming home early Sunday afternoon was a good reminder on why I prefer driving 35 at night...way less traffic and crazy people on the roads.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 AM
I watch wind blow...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name:  photobucket-44181-1345123698280.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  64.5 KB

Robert, here is black with a hint of shiny my 2012 Passat TDI

Justin, I was going to suggest cruise at 70 and then mash in the clutch but you beat me to it.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beautiful car Max! I likey!

My truck is going to have some shiny put back on it too. I've decided to go back to the stock polished wheels, chrome grill, chrome ram emblem on the tailgate, and cummins "C" badges on the doors. I think.

Im just ready for a change and I don't have 60K to go buy a new truck anytime soon....so im keeping mine for a long time to come. Only 175K on it now.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Chapter President

Nice car Max! Kinda looks like a cop car wanna be.

Originally Posted by 03RAMBUNCTIOUS

Robert, here is black with a hint of shiny my 2012 Passat TDI
Old 09-10-2012, 01:10 PM

<cough, cough>

Had to knock the dust off the door to get in here. Been pretty quiet around these parts lately.

Not much new here, still tinkering with Smarty settings trying to get things dialed in to work with the Mach 4s. The Smarty was always a nice kick in the pants over stock programming, but it's even more impressive when you compare stock programming to Smarty programming with larger injectors.

I loaded up stock software for some test runs on Saturday. It's completely tame and almost smoke free unless I just bury my foot in it, even then it's just a thin cloud. When I load up #5 with default settings (except timing), it's way too smoky on the bottom end even with light pedal until the turbo gets going. Not a good combination for driving Dallas streets unless I keep it spinning over 1800 all the time.

I finally settled on #5 with stock torque management, stock duration and aftermarket injector timing as a decent combination. Much easier to drive around without leaving storm clouds behind me. Going to drive that around for a bit to see how it behaves. I tried just turning down the TM setting, but that seemed to make it worse since the turbo was a little slower to light so it was smoking longer.

I get the feeling that my turbo may be a little taxed trying to keep up with the extra fuel, but it cleans up the top end OK. Not much fun trying to tune things when I only get to drive it a couple of days a week.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Mine was becoming a smokey pig in this Texas heat with the flux 1.8s and my smarty with old old old software still on it. I recentlly updated mine with newer software and it seems to help. I can leave a black cloud upon request, but I have to put the throttle down a little harder. And, as best I can tell it's not hazing just going down the road.

Im tired of black soot on my toyhauler so I decided a change was in order. I'm changing my truck some too. Im putting some chrome back on it including a chrome turndown tailpipe....going back to stock polished (chrome) wheels and Nitto Duragrappler road tires. We are hoping to get a bigger 5th wheel toyhauler (with slideouts and a separate garage area) eventually. Riding on these 35'' balloons just isn't going to cut it anymore. The GY duratracs have been great tires but im ready for a change. Maybe im just getting old now...lol.

It's definately been quiet around here lately!!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM

I saw your other thread on tire sizing. I'm running 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 3rd gen rims if you want any pics or measurements.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks Justin. I have pics of mine with 285/70/17s also...back when I had BFG ATKOs on it. Im debating whether to go back to that size vs the 285/75/17s. I actually had a set of those too....prior to these 35's. I guess the 75's probably will fill the wheel well a little better but if im planning on towing heavy, I would think the 70's would be better and keep my final ratio a little lower. It's probably fine either way, im just brainstorming with it.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 PM

I just need to get sticks in my car....and a tune....and paint...and.......
Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Chapter President

Since I don't have a Smarty any more, I'm glad mine is set where I like it. If I remember correctly, it's at #3, with mild torque management, stock duration and aftermarket injector timing. When it's hot, I can get more smoke than I want unless I ease into it. In the higher elevations, it smokes like a freight train when put under a load. With a heavy load, on #5 in the mountains the EGT's would hit the red pretty quick if I wasn't careful. I did try the stock program with the Jammer 3's one time and it was just not enough to make me smile.

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
<cough, cough>

Had to knock the dust off the door to get in here. Been pretty quiet around these parts lately.

Not much new here, still tinkering with Smarty settings trying to get things dialed in to work with the Mach 4s. The Smarty was always a nice kick in the pants over stock programming, but it's even more impressive when you compare stock programming to Smarty programming with larger injectors.

I loaded up stock software for some test runs on Saturday. It's completely tame and almost smoke free unless I just bury my foot in it, even then it's just a thin cloud. When I load up #5 with default settings (except timing), it's way too smoky on the bottom end even with light pedal until the turbo gets going. Not a good combination for driving Dallas streets unless I keep it spinning over 1800 all the time.

I finally settled on #5 with stock torque management, stock duration and aftermarket injector timing as a decent combination. Much easier to drive around without leaving storm clouds behind me. Going to drive that around for a bit to see how it behaves. I tried just turning down the TM setting, but that seemed to make it worse since the turbo was a little slower to light so it was smoking longer.

I get the feeling that my turbo may be a little taxed trying to keep up with the extra fuel, but it cleans up the top end OK. Not much fun trying to tune things when I only get to drive it a couple of days a week.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 AM

30,408 and still STOCK!!

Every now and again I get the itch to delete and go H&S, but warranty still has a hold on me! And payment, have to justify playing while still owing on the truck...
Hopefully end of next year she will get paid off, not a big fan of payments on anything, seen to have way way too many right now... Land on Richland Chambers, truck, Amy's Jetta, and possibly a house come November... Love to just pay the truck and car off as I don't owe that much, but it makes more sense to continue paying down the principle on the land. Interest on car and truck are both under 2%. House is looking like 2.75% 15 yr. So even if that goes through still makes more sense to pay down the land and it's crazy 5.9% 15yr!! Bout the best I could do on lake lots with no improvements, banks aren't just handing money out for those.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 PM

LOL, Cmon Brian....Get the H@S. You know you wanna!! It's so much more fun to "play".
Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...12#post3135112

New thread!!