Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   is it worth it? restore older trailer??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/worth-restore-older-trailer-97359/)

getblown5.9 03-27-2006 07:37 AM

is it worth it? restore older trailer???

been looking for an 18' open deck car hauler and found one...

its a 1965 year model 16' + 2' dovetail in ok condition for its age. it uses a 2 5/16 ball hookup, and has electric brakes on one axle but the plug is the old smaller 5 or 6 wire hook up and there is no trailer mounted battery. im gonna need to update the rakes to a modern system for sure with a battery, so it will work with my brake controller and i will put the brakes on both axles.

its very heavy built as there are 4 frame rails made of channel iron that run the entire length of the trailer chassis, and then tie in to the front at the hitch. its rated for 10k with a pair of 5200lbs axles under it.

im getting the trailer for $500 and i figured with less than 500 in parts...and then some of my own manual labor, i can get it cleaned up and rebuilt into a decent piece of equipment. anyone think it would require too much work, and would be easier to just buy a new trailer for about $2k, instead of putting $1k into this older one?

russ300h 03-27-2006 07:42 AM

I would just question how good of a trailer you can get for $2000. I'd rather have an older sturdier one than a new one not made well. I spent $2800 for mine six years ago, but I have never seen one built better. I haul old Chryslers and Imperials so I need the beef. If you haul Darts or Cudas, maybe you could get away with less.

12valve@heart 03-27-2006 07:47 AM

Inspect the frame for cracks, bends, and broken welds. If it's structurally sound, go for it if you have the time to fix it up. Buying a new one is always "easier" until it comes time to pay for it.

getblown5.9 03-27-2006 08:05 AM

well im only 20 and paying 100% for my truck the growing list of bombs on it...so cheaper is always better for me. i think im gonna go back and look at it again and see if i cant jack it up on one side so i can inspect it better underneath. last night i just looked under it to see what kinda frame it had. the guy used to use it for hauling big antique tractors and a 40's ford pickup and said he had no problem pulling it behind a ford e-150 with a 302

99 cummins 03-27-2006 01:11 PM

With the price of metal now days, it is well worth your while. Just check it over close and replace anything in question.

getblown5.9 03-27-2006 01:21 PM

was pricing parts...can get 4 brake setups so i can have them on both axles for $46 a piece, then like $50 for for the breakaway/battery mount kit...and then misc lights and wiring...looking at about $400 to rebuild it mechanically and electrically, then its just the cost of grinding wheels and paint supplies to repaint it and ill have a basically brand new trailer.

if for some reason i need to replace the entire axles i may see if i can legally install 7k units under there and make it a 14k trailer,rather have too much than not enough

pappyman 03-28-2006 05:00 AM

I have a flat bed trailer I built 25 years ago I used heavy steel I beams for the frame rails and its a tilt bed deck

This has been my most used trailer......Its paid for its self many times over.....over the years I've improved or added to this trailer.....last year I added a 3rd axel and a tool box and a 150 gal fuel tank mounted on the front part of the bed this left just enuff bed to load my skid steer

"Sometimes older is better" so if your looking at a older trailer besure its well built and large enuff for your needs.....if you buy it cheap enuff improvements to the trailer add to its value.....a older well built trailer will last many more years

4x4not 03-28-2006 07:23 PM

I went through almost the same deal several months ago... I got a used 16' tandem axle for $600 but ended up sinking another $500 into it. Still cheaper than a new one, but it was A LOT of work.