Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Wild and Crazy loads on the highway, what have you seen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen my dad with his 04 F350 powerstroke haul 25 , 1000 lb wheat square bales on his gooseneck trailer. The truck pulled it like it wasn't even there. It was unreal.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:32 PM

Chevy Astro van pulling a small pickup on a tow dolly, with a car on a dolly behind that. He was on the side of I-74 somewhere in Illinois broke down.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duddin10
I've seen my dad with his 04 F350 powerstroke haul 25 , 1000 lb wheat square bales on his gooseneck trailer. The truck pulled it like it wasn't even there. It was unreal.
on another note, I get a chuckle out of people who say their truck pulled a load like "it wasn't even there" or they "couldn't even feel it"

sorry, but every time I hook up to something, even if it's a 3000lb car w/ a tow-bar, I know it's there and I can feel it! if you can't, you just might be oblivious to how your truck normally runs!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
on another note, I get a chuckle out of people who say their truck pulled a load like "it wasn't even there" or they "couldn't even feel it"

sorry, but every time I hook up to something, even if it's a 3000lb car w/ a tow-bar, I know it's there and I can feel it! if you can't, you just might be oblivious to how your truck normally runs!
You mistook my point. In other words the truck pulled the load pretty easy considering it was so much.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing

2nd!!!!
If you can't tell a load is there, you probably shouldn't be towing it!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:41 PM

[IMG][/IMG] when i was a kid i saw this bieng hauled, two semi's with trailers side by side and that in the middle
Old 11-16-2006, 04:44 PM

Running at a good speed on I-80 in eastern Iowa late summer I was passed by a semi pulling a drop deck enclosed trailer that had prison style bars near the top of the side door. Just as the door passed my front bumper, a elephant trunk came out like he was looking for a peanut. That thing could have easily reached another semi's mirrors or trailer. Didnt seem safe to me for the elephant or other motorists, but was worth a good chuckle.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
probably $100k worth of Fiber Optic Cable, the wife made me wood screw all the reels together, held from Charleston to Atlanta!

Old 11-16-2006, 06:18 PM

Came out of the local big box hardware store awhile back and see two, well you get the idea, loading sheetrock into a minivan. No problem except that they had maybe 50 sheets. Had to stay and watch. When they got the back full the rest went on the roof. I swear you had to climb up to get into this thing! Stuffs hanging out the back and away they went. Hanging out the back bouncing like crazy. Tires just flat.

Later while heading home I start seeing sheetrock in the road. Big chunks. Never did see the wreck but it was in the paper the next day. Nobody got hurt which musta been luck 'cause the stuff was flying all around. They gave him a ticketed for failing to secure a load. What a joke.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"probably $100k worth of Fiber Optic Cable"

Just curious. Did you carry enough insurance to cover the load if it got lost for some reson?

I worked with a guy that had what he thought was an idestructible Chevy 3/4 ton. He went to a cement company and asked for about 4 yards of gravel. They question him about his truck but he insisted it would haul it. I sure wish I had a pic of his trip back to reality.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Chapter President

Fine Fine.......I'll admit it

I had about a ton and a half of fill dirt in my dad's FJ80 (nice Landcruisers). Tires were 33" filled to the brim, and they flexed good. Worst thing was cleaning it out after that. Leather and dirt just don't mix. Truck would hit a bump and bounce for about 2.5 min. seriously!!!!
However, I tried to tow my wrangler (see sig) with this truck too. I went on a test run, up a small hill. WIth a running start at 55, I was at 15 at the top. The hill was only 2.5 blocks long. I doubted i'd make it up Vail pass on I 70 on the way to MOAB! SO, I turned around, went home, put a for sale sign in the window of the FJ80 and went lookin for a cummins!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 PM

I witnessed a Chevy Lumina van dragging it's rear bumper while towing a Lincoln Navigator.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try working at a feed store for almost 4yrs you get to first hand witness some of the worlds stupidest thing hauled on a truck

25 16ft long 52inch high 6x6 square galvanized cattle panels tied to the front bumper and the rear bumper of a ford courier.

a ton of alfalfa stuffed in the back of one of them ford econ million passenger church vans.

best one was this guy who came in got a whole ton of 200lb protein tubs and left with out straping them down. later that day my buddy came in who is his neighbor said he seen him winching the tubs out of the bottom of a ravine
Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Funny that you mention the feed-mill.

Our business is next up the hill from a big feed-mill.

Hardly a day passes that I don't see someone lose a bag, or more, of feed, a salt block, one of those huge mineral tubs, and sometimes one of those big square bales of alfalfa.

I have also seen them load those big bales in mini-vans, with about two feet of the bale hanging out the back door.

For more entertainment, there are two large building supply stores on the other side of us.

These brainstorms will stop at the light, then take off like a dragster, driving out from under a load of slick Pine planks.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:30 AM

i was at a scrap yard and saw a ferd power stroke whos owner just bought 5 sticks of 16 foot long pipe. he had no trailer he just just hung the from the bottem of his truck i thought it was pretty funny

Quick Reply: Wild and Crazy loads on the highway, what have you seen?