Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Wild and Crazy loads on the highway, what have you seen?

Old 11-14-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure we have all seen this one time or another.
F-150 5.4 liter pulling a 30'+ fiver toy hauler. When he pulled in I just had to ask what he was thinking. Guy begins to tell me about the air bags cold air intake OH and the chip that made his truck equipped to handle the pull from So Cal to Oregon.
They say ignorance is Bliss
Old 11-14-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about a Mule standing on the back of a flat bed truck????!!!

No sides no nothing, the best part was they didn't even have a ramp and the Mule scrambled up there on his own free will when they backed down neara ditch.....

They said he was ok since they were only going 50 miles or so!!

Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM

At the local car auction, the south of the border guys go crazy and buy everything under $1000. I saw one of the guys pulling a couple of trucks and a car, behind an old small toyaota pickup.

He had a tow dolly behind his toyota, then another small truck with atow dolly hooked to it. Another small truck, with a tow dolly hooked to it, then a small car.

Not sure how far he made it but it looked scary as could be.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Banned

I saw a guy hauling a big bundle of rod iron underneath his suburban, the bundle was longer than his truck tied on with twine. He was driving on I-15 going 70mph and every time he hit a bumb it would bounce and send sparks from undrneath his truck.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:46 PM
JKM

On the harvest crew i was on this summer , one of the days we were moving to the next location , we met a flatbed hauling the dump off of a HUGE open put rock truck, he said it was 39' wide, and we were on a 2 lane road, we also had wide loads... Luckily we were going up a hill with a 3rd passing lane , so we all managed to squeek past.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seen one of them monster dump beds on a state highway a few years back in S. TX - couldn't believe how big it was!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:57 PM
JKM

Yeah , they sure do get your attention when you meet one coming , especially when your leading a convoy of oversized loads yourself...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Iam guilty of hauling a goat back from a livestock auction that was 60miles from home on the back of a flatbed with a dog collar leash holding him on he rode there the whole way home just laying there
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Iam guilty of hauling a goat back from a livestock auction that was 60miles from home on the back of a flatbed with a dog collar leash holding him on he rode there the whole way home just laying there
good thing you didn't run into any peta folks...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

We did get some funny looks and pointing fingers when people passed us
Old 11-14-2006, 10:05 PM

I saw a 99-02 chevy 4x4 1500 reg cab long bed pulling a tandom dually heavy equipment hauler read 8K with a older ford f-series super duty bucket truck probably 10K on her back. It was loaded decent and wasn't squatted to the point where the tires were all the way in the wells but it was riding heavy thats for sure. I had to do a double take to make sure it was a 1500 and sure enough it was, not that it would matter, 18K minimum is more than any chevy light duty is rated to handle from the factory. It was actually climbing a pretty good grade maybe 5% going to opposite way down I-79 in PA when i saw it. I didn't get a good look at the hitch, but with the way the driver thinks im sure it was probably the factory class 3 with a pintle clasp pretty much nothing id want to be anywhere near on the road im glad he was going one way and i was going the other.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:14 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

do you want to know how many half ton pickups i have seen burnt up sitting on the shoulder of the mountain road with horse trailers and big campers? to many to count its kind of scary.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by tool
How about a Mule standing on the back of a flat bed truck????!!!

I live in the redneck capitol of the world.

I have seen many, many, pairs of mules riding on the back of old log-trucks with rotten floors and no sides.

Many of the loggers, around here, are sot drunks, and drive like maniacs.

Once in a while, one will lose a pair of mules on the highway.

The DOT harasses everyone else, and look the other way when these guys go by.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I have seen many idiots on the road, too numerous to mention.

One I saw, just last Saturday, was waiting to load, in line ahead of me at a purebred cattle sale in Winchester, KY.

It was a kid, no more than nineteen, driving a brand-new F-150, with P-metric tires, pulling a 28' aluminum (WILSON, I think) gooseneck livestock trailer.

The springs were on the stops with only the trailer and the tires were half flat.

I thought he was probably gonna get only one cow; but, when they started loading, they just kept driving cows on that trailer.

I didn't figure it would pull away from the chute; but, when he went by me, he was gaining speed.

I had a full load to sort and load; so, I didn't catch up to him, but I didn't see him on the side of the road anywhere.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Saw this the other day going home from work. Barely fit through the toll booth (looked like inches on either side), why not use the end lane where its open dummy?

Used to tilt these suckers on their sides, but I guess they are under the legal width or paid for the permit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wild and Crazy loads on the highway, what have you seen?