Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Where do lights plug in with gooseneck

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do lights plug in with gooseneck

i am looking to buy a 24' gooseneck trailer and was wondering do i need to get another wiring harness for the bed or does it plug into the bumper plug somehow? Thanks!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Alot of guys plug into their plug below the bumper either over the tailgate or run the cable between the tailgate and bed.

I will personally be putting another plug in the box.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put one in the box on the wheel well. Most trailers have long enough cords to allow plugging in down by the bumper, but the cable tends to really beat up the paint on the top of your tailgate.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Like the other's said,,,the bumper plug will work. But it does take it's toll.

Here's a picture of mine. I had it done, or else I might have put it somewhere else if I did it. It work's fine, but only 2 of the mounting screw's are attaching it. No problem's though.

You can also see the black X and circle. That is where my friend has his mounted. His seem's kinda out in the open. I would think somewhere between the two would work. Just double check for clearance before drilling any hole's.

I would recommend doing it yourself so you know the wire's will be soldered. Or at least make sure they solder them. I've had problem's twice with mine from the quick snap type connecter's these place's love to use. I've also heard you can get a pigtail that plug's into the factory harness and you just plug it all in. I haven't seen it, so who know's.

Also. Try to find the style of plug that has the lug on the door. It kinda lock's the plug into place so it doesn't come out. That's what the factory one has. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. When ever I hit a big bump, my brakesmart detect's a short from the plug wiggling.
Attached Thumbnails Where do lights plug in with gooseneck-trailer-plug222.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Since I'm not thinking about keeping the truck that much longer and didn't want another hole in the bed, I bought a trailer extension cord and took it apart. I threaded it down the hole in the stake pocket, so I can plug it into the bumper and plug the trailer into it (zip tied to the ancor point in the corner of the bed) without beating up the paint.

If you want to put a plug in the bed, there are kits available that have a plug that matches the factory wiring harness plug, so you wouldn't have to solder or tap into the facory wires.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH5W~V30137.htm
Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
If you want to put a plug in the bed, there are kits available that have a plug that matches the factory wiring harness plug, so you wouldn't have to solder or tap into the facory wires.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH5W~V30137.htm

Hey,,,that look's like the one I heard about. So they do exist.

I think I might have to get me one of those. Seem's like it would be much simpler, and a cleaner installation. Pluse no short's.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 PM

I did one in the bed, I used a kit. It was around $60. Money well spent and its a much cleaner install and doesn't scratch up the tailgate.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 PM

Must be nice to drive on pavement all the time.
I use the bumper plug. Spend $20 bucks and get the plastic tailgate cover from Dodge and that will protect the top of the tailgate from scratches. My problum is rock chips
Old 12-30-2007, 09:10 PM

You can get the wiring kit off e-bay for $45. Might be just as cheap to get it locally by the time you pay shipping. I'm going to call my local supply place tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM

If you carry cargo etc. in the bed when hooked up to your GN its possible for the plug in to get broken. this could happen by someone throwing something on the plugin or cord or shifting cargo. I hook up on the bumper so avoid this.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM

Install a 8' coil cord on your trailer and plug into bumper socket $55-70 no dragging cords, no tailgate paint issues and no excess cable. Looks after itself. PK