Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Large Boat towing question.....

Old 03-18-2003, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large Boat towing question.....

Ok, excuse the nieveness of the questions, but I never considered towing a large boat as my current boat is really not trailerable, but I am thinking of downsizing a bit, and wondering about trailering.<br><br>Ok, boat specs... 27' 10' wide weighs about 8k. Boat currently does not have a trailer, but I know they make them. Is the approximation of tongue weight at 10% load weight about correct? I would like to be able to pull it with the hitch. <br><br>So, how would you guys do it? I have a 2500 HO 48RE, distance from me to the ocean is about 100 miles, combination driving. <br><br>Thanks for any and all information....<br><br>dan<br><br><br>
Old 03-18-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Large Boat towing question.....

With a tag along trailer the 10% is ok, with a gooseneck or fifth wheel it needs to be up around 25%. The problem that you will have is the width. 8 foot is standard and you can haul 102 on the freeway and major routes. An overwidth permit will be necessary, better check on that. New Jersey is not generally a forgiving state on these matters so better look into it and make sure, there may be an exception on a boat, who knows.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:24 PM

Many boat trailer manufacturers say to have 5-7% tongue weight. Probably has something to do with CG, metacentric height, location of axles, etc.... There are many trailer boats longer and heavier than the one you're talking about, and many just as wide sitting on tag along trailers.<br><br>My boat/trailer combo weighs around 8000 lbs on the axles and another 5-600 lbs on the tongue. Trailer width is 100&quot;. Tongue weight can vary depending by how much gas is onboard. Trailer has 3 axles, 2 with brakes (drum/surges). Performs great for me. Keeping in mind that you can never enough brakes.<br><br>Your truck will pull it just fine. It would be the least of your concerns.<br><br>10' beam. You should check on the wide-load requirements of NJ. Do they exceed your PIA threshold? Would you tow every weekend, or just twice a year (back and forth to the shore)? Does your proposed 100 mile path exceed your PIA threshold? Narrow streets, traffic, etc.<br><br>27' boats on trailers can navigate through many gas stations to save on gas costs, but I've never towed a 10' wide boat before. I don't think I would look forward to towing it very often. I'm guessing you're a fisherman, and they typically have high thresholds............<br><br>Fiver/gooseneck boat trailers are indeed a rare lot. I think Miss Bud sits on one, but it isn't required due to her weight. The majority of fivers are the commercial rigs transporting large boats not designed as trailer boats.<br>
Old 03-19-2003, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the replies. Not entirely sure of all the specifics, but the information helps. <br><br>Oh, not a fisherman but a Diver. A cold water, NJ wreck diver, so my threshold is pretty high....<br><br>d<br>