Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailersaver Air Fifth Wheel

Old 05-08-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trailersaver Air Fifth Wheel

With our roads getting worse and worse I am considering doing some ride conversions. One being an air 5th wheel hitch. Since I run a mega the options are somewhat limited. The one at the top of my list is Trailersaver, I like that they are a well established company and the product looks top of the line. So anyone use one? I am not sure if I am going with the remote or manual slider.

My other air upgrades are going to be seat, kelderman 2 bag rear suspension, and maybe an air receiver hitch.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
You have another option that will probably be more practical and maybe a little cheaper. Go with a good automatic slider hitch and an Air Pin. The Trailer Saver will not give you fore/aft cushioning, so why go with it - - an air pin will do the same thing and you can still have the slider.
Bob
Old 05-09-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I never tow the same trailer twice air pin boxes are out.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the TrailerSaver does give fore\aft cushioning. It's in the design of the pivot point. Any shock in the pin box can only absorb a small percentage of the shock. The only way to get it all is in the hitch itself.

We'll hook you up with owners if you'd like to talk to one.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron
Actually, the TrailerSaver does give fore\aft cushioning. It's in the design of the pivot point. Any shock in the pin box can only absorb a small percentage of the shock. The only way to get it all is in the hitch itself.

We'll hook you up with owners if you'd like to talk to one.
Could you explain more how you can get fore aft movement without up/down movement when the hitch is on a hinge. From the small pictures available it appears the head will only move a small amount fore or aft when and if the head moves up and down. And, it further looks like that movement will be in the fore direction when the head goes down and aft when the head comes up. What if that movement is not what is called for in that particular moment? Curious, not arguing.

Bob