Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Trailer Ground (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/trailer-ground-23804/)

pappyman 02-10-2003 06:37 PM

Trailer Ground

This is drivin me nuts....I have a trailer grounding problem and it in the truck wiring...the trailer checks ok even tried it hooked to another truck...I keep losing my ground with out any reason sometimes it goes for days working great then it starts screwing up...as soon as I hook up a jumper ground everything works fine...Ive tried to check the wiring harness to trace it but with the cold weather and having to work outside I haven't had much luck yet...anyone know where the ground is located

Casey Balvert 02-10-2003 06:50 PM

Re:Trailer Ground

If you have a towing package I believe the ground in on the driver's side fender. However, the problem most likely lies in the 7 pin RV connector on the truck. Take it apart and check all the connections. Over time dirt and moisure cause corrosion which eventually leads to poor and/or intermittent connections. Anyway it is the most likely place to find the problem and a logical place to start. Good luck.<br><br>Casey

pappyman 02-10-2003 07:07 PM

I have the tow package but its not the 7 way plug...I have two 7 ways one on the hitch and the other in the bed and have the problems with either one....and both are new plugs 5 months ago with soldered connections

Haulin_in_Dixie 02-10-2003 09:14 PM

Pappyman how about just running a new heavy ground from the plug to the frame, use a star washer between the frame and the wire terminal.

pappyman 02-11-2003 12:46 AM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=11;threadid=10814;start=0#103161 date=1044933247]<br>Pappyman how about just running a new heavy ground from the plug to the frame, use a star washer between the frame and the wire terminal.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Haulin in Dixie I may have to do that...I currently have a power plug setup for charging battery's and running my winches inside my trailer and that has a ground cable that runs to my truck battery....maybe I'll tap into that ground for my trailer lighting ground also...I cant rely on grounding thru my hitch because at times to load I need to unhook and raise my landing gears to lower the rear of my trailer but I need all my lights to stay working since most of my loading is done at night<br><br>I guess a temporary ground will have to work until I get more time to trace it back and find my trouble grounding point :(

pappyman 02-12-2003 04:49 AM

Found it ;D got time last nite while I was loading in a heated garage started lookin under my truck...found where my wire harness must have been hit by road junk opened it up and one wire was cut with only 2 strands, fixed it and everything is working again ;D

Casey Balvert 02-12-2003 07:10 AM

Best be getting one of those Road Junk Deflector thingies. Glad you found the problem. [laugh]