Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer > 10,000 pounds

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
You don't have to have a license plate on a trailer in KY!?!
Nope, he is correct. None of mine are plated. Never had a problem as long as the pickup was proper. Been looked over several times.

Ed
Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, you guys are lucky; around here, the only things that don't need a plate on the public roads are farm equipment.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For many years trailer tags were not necessary in Alablama for utility trailers and other small trailers like the trailer for my bike. But they finally stiffened up on it. Going into another state would get a ticket though.

I had to get a full sized tag for my bike trailer, about the size of a luggage cartop carrier. Looks rediculous but necesssary.

Now a little reality. Kentucky has trailer tag laws, but they are not enforced for smaller trailers. So another state will view that trailer as an unregistered vehicle.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That makes more sense!

I couldn't fathom why KY wouldn't require tags on trailers...
Old 02-24-2007, 02:34 AM

Just looked it up....
Kentucky Vehicle Registration & Titling - KY Car Registration Guide
Summary: Information, forms, and procedures for registering and titling a vehicle in Kentucky.
Excerpt: , your vehicle (whether it be a passenger car, commercial vehicle, trailer, motorcycle, or boat) must be registered through the KY DMV. Car Insurance ...
Old 02-24-2007, 03:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, but...... there are some exemptions. I think it is in a slightly different section of the KRS that Haulin quoted. I fit in that catagory. Farm trailers, behind farm tagged vehicles.

I will agree that I see quite a few "suspicious" trailers, but lot's more legal ones.

I do agree that they don't pay much attention.

I should have put this info earlier, but "work" happened. at work. The horrors...

Ed
Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 AM

I just called KY. DMV. Boat and utility trailers may be (your choice) tagged if you plan to go out of state but rv's are the only tailers required to have tags. I also have a copy of the ky. statute stating that tags are optional. I do not know a single person who has a plated utility/ boat trailer. In fact I don't think I know anyone that has a tag on their cattle trailers. I have towed a boat to FLA. a number of times and have never been bothered. I even got a speeding ticket in GA. once and when I told him boats did not need tags in KY. he said "Yea I've heard that" and did not ask about it any more.( when they refer to boat tags they are talking about the reg. sticker that has to be put on each year.)
Joe
Old 02-26-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess in each state, you abide by whatever options you have. The issue is when you wish to take your setup out-of-state. In is hard enough (and confusing and contradictory enough) within one's own state in dealing with the various "opinions" of law enforcement - let alone what one can face out-of-state. So, if one wishes to try and reduce their possible encounters with John Law, and those marvelous roadside conversations where you are trying to prove you are right (per your HOME state...), do whatever you can to minimize hitting the radar screen -.....obtaining tags )otherwise not required) would be one thing, good tires, proper loading, securing and balancing of the trailer, a clean "fit for the road" setup with all lights working, etc.

Maybe you won't get stopped or bothered. Heck, people speed by me at 20+ MPH OVER the speed limit, and don't get stopped. We're not talking about what happens when you DON'T get stopped(...ur....nothing....) - but rather if one DOES get stopped - are you in compliance or not - do you get a ticket or not - do you get your rig force parked, or not. If you feel that you've done something umpteen times and never had a problem, then I guess that is what makes your mind up. If you want to make sure that if, on the off chance, you do come across a road check, or get involved in an accident, or somehow come into contact with law enforcement, that you will be "OK" (in however you define that...), then being forwarned with info and preparing is being forarmed. Hopefully residents (on this site) of various states can help shed light on their state's issues, so we who may be driving through, can get the 411.

I know that when I enforced the law, I was familiar with the statutes in my state, and how the courts in my jurisdiction interpreted them. If I stopped someone from out-of-state with an apparent violation of our statutes, I wrote the ticket, and left it up to the judge to determine from that point. For out-of-staters, that could be a costly and time-consuming issue. I'm sure some just blow it off, figuring they'll not be coming back into the state - that's fine too. Me, I'd rather try and comply and just keep moving down the road, whenever possible.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 AM

I for one would never "blow off" a citation from another state. If even years down the road you were to get stopped there again I imagine thay would know and you might spend a little more time(and money) in that state than you were planning on while you get it taken care of. I got a ticket in GA. and the cop asked " If I let you go will you pay the ticket?" I assured him I would , and did as soon as I got home. I even called a week later to make sure it had been proccessed corectly. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I would not want that hanging over my head even if I knew I wouldn't be going back.
Joe
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonshawman
For out-of-staters, that could be a costly and time-consuming issue. I'm sure some just blow it off, figuring they'll not be coming back into the state - that's fine too.
For states that are members of the Driver License Compact, out-of-state violations, warrants, etc. are reported to one's home state, so the best course of action is to settle up.

Rusty
Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 AM

Goodness, and after I went through all that work making a previous post look like I copied it frof the Kentucky site, showing that all trailers had to be tagged.

Some states have a statute that does not require a tag on a trailer that is pulling a tagged vehicle, ie boat, car, etc.

Question..... Are we discussing the law or what we can get away with?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 PM

In KY the towed trailer (except rv's) in essence becomes part of the towing vehicle. Boat trailers (reguardless of size) are not tagged unless requested. The same goes for utilty trailers. When I purchased my Maxum cruiser I got the title for the trailer but "no tags required" was noted on it. When I have bought new utility type trailers there was no mention of tags made. Call any trailer dealer in KY. and ask them if you need tags if a resident. I'm not kidding when I say I don't know anybody in the state that has tags on their trailers. If you do have to have them the DMV, law enforcement along with trailer dealers seem to be unware of it.
Joe
Old 02-27-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'd go back to just a pair of horses (that would be, for the modification guys...two horse power...), hauling a wagon, except they won't let me on the Intersates !

I opt for knowing what's legal, and running that way. I think if one makes their best effort to research, and document their findings, if stopped (maybe not with the officer, but at least with the judge), they can show they were dilligent in trying to do the right thing, often with conflicting or confusing regulations. Their INTENT was to abide by the law, both as they undertsood it and as, perhaps, they were instructed.

I figure I comply with my home state (Florida), and when I am interstate, I should be OK. I just shared in prior posts what law enforcement often observes, which makes them pursue - much of that can be avoided by common sense and a bit of preparation, and of course proper equipment properly loaded and operated within the law. Short of that, you may be extending an invitation which you wish you hadn't......