Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer > 10,000 pounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in pa, any trailer that is capable of carrying 10,000 lbs or greater requires a class A cdl to pull it, weather its loaded or empty, doesnt matter weather the combined weight is 26K or not.
stinks but it keeps morons that have no clue about proper load securement and knowledge of driving a light duty truck with a load off the roads.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by deerefarm06
in pa, any trailer that is capable of carrying 10,000 lbs or greater requires a class A cdl to pull it, weather its loaded or empty, doesnt matter weather the combined weight is 26K or not.
stinks but it keeps morons that have no clue about proper load securement and knowledge of driving a light duty truck with a load off the roads.

100% false!!! GCWR of over 26K requires CDL!
Read the back of your drivers license if you are from PA. it states it there.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Yeah , when he said " capable of carrying 10,000 lbs." He was already off . Regulations say 10,000 GVW which in many cases would be a trailer that couldn't carry near 10,000 lbs . There's plenty of people out there pulling heavier trailers than that with no CDL . Now some state class B CDL licenses say cannot tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs. GVW . That's because if a truck with a GVWR of over 26,000 lbs. tows a trailer with a GVW over 10,000 a CDL A is required . But that restriction wrongly prohibits a Class B license holder from pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs GVWR with a dually pickup with about a GCVW of 23,000 - well below CDL requirements .
Old 01-28-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goodness, talk about making a mistake starting a thread...

In actuallity, I think that dot qualified cops sit around discussing how they can twist the law to say what they want, then try it in a small kangaroo court. Most drivers never try to fight a ticket.

Then you have one here and one there that is really a bad ticket and sets off these debates of what is legal. I have been the Mayor of a small town with police working for me, I do know how disconnected from reality some young officers can get.

In Alabama four years ago, the state was recommending that all of our officers get dot training. My response was not popular with Alabama PSC. I was running a hot shot operation at the time. I explained that what trucking did not need was four or five 22 year old dot officers on the back roads, at each and every town in Alabama.

PSC stated that this was needed for safety on the roads. So when someone states a case where a ticket is issued that seems to defy the code of whatever state, I don't tend to doubt it. Not for a minute. In these cases, the driver needs to get a good lawyer. Being a member of OOIDA is a good start to keep straight. Yeah, i am a member, a life member. They can also hook you up with good insurance benefits and many other perks on the road. They have lawyers on staff to give advice also.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the perspective - that was a good post!

I wish we could get a DOT officer to comment on this thread....
Old 01-29-2007, 11:15 AM

I think most of the "basis" for the regulations and the enforcement comes from the concern for safety. If you look at the commercial requirements for hours-of-service, equipment, condition, etc it is because of historical data that suggests concerns for the motoring public about safety. Yeah, we all have to pay for the careless mistakes others have made - so what else is new ? That's where EVERY LAW comes from, doesn't it ?

Most of our concerns are about weights, capacities, etc - that all is a concern about safety - we don't want a wreck, or cause a wreck, or be a victim of a wreck caused by someone else with faulty or overloaded equipment, as we buzz along beside them at 70+MPH. The whole license issue is the PRESUMPTION that to get a CDL-A, more training and testing is required.

There are lots of exceptions - and lots of variable enforcement. Cops abuse their ticket-writing privileges, and sometimes are just plain ignorant of the correct enforcement of the law. But as an owner, because I have sunk a lot of $$$ into my equipment, and because I am an "aging fart" (not an "old" one yet...), I use COMMON SENSE to have the proper truck with the proper equipment and capacity, and the appropriate trailer. I have the "correct" license. When I load my equipment, I do it within the guidelines, and again, use common sense. It is not only my life on the line, but perhaps someone elses, and when bad weather hits, or other unforseen circumstances, I hope that the guy in the rig next to me knows what he is doing, and his rig is up-to-par from a safety standpoint.

Although a bit confusing (and certainly so from the varied enforcement), the regs are pretty clear, and spring from a concern for safety. Hopefully, although we can disagree with the "sense" behind some of them, and we can understand that they can have an impact on the bottom-line of those who make a living on the road, the majority of us buy the right truck for the job, keep it maintained, and make sure our trailers are kept (and loaded & used) they way they should be. Most people on this site know what is required and how to abide by it - whether they like it, or choose to abide by it, well that's another matter. It is frustrating and confusing, but when I get ticked off I think about safety, and common sense, and that usually cools me down.

Here in Miami, there are lots of fly-by-nighters who skimp and cheat on these very issues - I get nervous every time I get along side some beat up old big truck usually connected to a bouncing container. It will be my future "in the sling" with them if, because they either don't know the law or don't abide by it, a wreck happens and I get involved. It costs a lot of money to keep a truck and trailer maintained, and that seems to be one of the first areas that slide when cash gets tight. There is no state motor vehicle inspection in Florida - so if one gets "caught" with defective equipment, one will get a ticket, but that doesn't really make the road much safer for the rest of us, does it ?

Men do stupid things (maybe that's why women love us ?), but at the end of the day, if I can't do it right, I choose not to do it at all. I may not "like" what is right, or even agree with it, but each of us decides which laws we want to bend, stretch or perhaps break.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...als/pub223.pdf

Read page 10...actually read page 18, start from Class C and work your way up. Pay attention to the OR's, for instance, this is from the class C section explaining what a class C license is:

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of less
than 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle
towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000
pounds

Now go to Class B, read that, if you've actually read it very carefully, you will see why a class A is required to pull a trailer with a gvwr of 10k or greater.

that is all.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

Directly from your reference, page 18:
CLASS C
Any single vehicle with a GVWR of less
than 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle
towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000
pounds, including any bus designed to
transport 16 or more passengers including
the driver, or a school bus designed to
transport 11 or more passengers including
the driver.
* Carrying Passengers P endorsement Section 4: Transporting Passengers
* A School Bus S & P endorsement Section 4: Transporting Passengers
(Pennsylvania School Bus
Driver's Manual Pub. 117)
* Hazardous Materials H endorsement Section 9: Hazardous Materials
* With Air Brakes Section 5: Air Brakes
* Without Air Brakes L restriction

Ok, it looks to me by reading that, you would be correct. PA says a class C CDL operator can't tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs, and since we know a class B CDL can't tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs it would seem you need a class A CDL.

But wait....
Page 10
CLASS C
A Class C license is issued to those persons 18 years of age or older who have demonstrated their
qualifications to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of not more than
26,000 pounds or any combination of vehicles, except combination vehicles involving motorcycles,
that does not meet the definition of a Class A or Class B vehicle.
Where required, appropriate
endorsements must be obtained

That says a class C CDL license is good for any vehicle, or combination with a GVWR of not more then 26,000 lbs. It also says provided the vehicle does not meet the definiton of a class A or B vehicle, so does a 10,001 lb. trailer meet the definition of class A or B?
Again from your reference page 18
CLASS B
Any single vehicle with a GVWR of
26,001 or more pounds, or any bus
or school bus, or any such vehicle towing
a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds

CLASS A
Any combination of vehicles with a
GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds,
provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s)
being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds

Ok, a 10,001 lb. trailer obviously does not meet the definition of a class B vehicle, as it clearly says less then 10,000 lb trailer.

So does it meet the definition of a class A vehicle, well yes and no. I know it says "provided the gvwr of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs." so we meet that part of the definition, but what about that first part that says " any combination with a gvwr of 26,001 lbs or more"?

If my truck is 11,500 gvwr, and my trailer is 11,500 gvwr, my gross combined vehicle weight rating (gcvwr) is 23,000 lbs. I am not over 26,001 lbs so I do not meet the definition of a Class A or B vehicle (going by PA's regs.), yet I have a trailer over 10,001 lbs. Since PA's regs. for class C license say I can operate any combination of vehicles, provided it does not meet the definition of a Class A or B vehicle ( the example above does not ), and it does not exceed 26,000 lbs ( again my example does not ), it would appear my hypothetical truck and trailer combo could be operated in PA. with a Class C License.

Clear as mud ain't it!!! All of the above in blue is directly cut and pasted ( I added the italics and bold to the one section ) from your reference website, which appears to be PA's CDL regulations. I have no reason to think you posted a bogus reference, so what does that leave us?

Well it appears to me that PA's regs contradict themselves. I don't know what else to tell you, nor can I speak to what is being enforced in PA.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bonshawman

There are lots of exceptions - and lots of variable enforcement. Cops abuse their ticket-writing privileges, and sometimes are just plain ignorant of the correct enforcement of the law.
As ashamed as I am to admit this you are correct in that statement. Although I hope ( and like to think ) it is more ignorance, then it is vengence, that causes these enforcement problems. Cops are people too, and yes we make mistakes. Commercial vehicle laws aren't any easier for us to comprehend, then they are for the average truck driver. It takes many, many hours of classes to even get the basics on this stuff. Have I ever issued a citation in error, sure, but I do what I can to correct the situation when I realize i made a mistake.

As for the rest of your post, I couldn't agree more, and I wish more drivers and companies shared that attitude
Old 01-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do need to modify what I posted before a little bit. When you are part of hiring new and sometimes rookie officers, you get a good idea of how it works with them. Maybe ten percent of hireable officers have a chip, they feel they are in charge, and they plan on getting you no matter how. Municipalities generally hire all the same type of officers depending on the feelings of the Chief.

All that said, most officers out there are just people trying to do a job and also trying to understand the law, without being a lawyer. As was said, some mistakes are made, but you should also realize that they have a thankless and very difficult time doing what is right. Example, guy has a couple of drinks, is very difficult with the officer, he responds approprately, possibly arresting the subject. Well this joker is plugged in, important relatives (aren't they all?) and now the Officer is getting sued. Win or lose, a blemish on his carrier record. Easy to get a chip on your shoulder today, people are not nice. This is a way of life for officers and remember they are like you and me, make mistakes, don't like certain types, have to make snap judgements, sometimes mistakenly.

As the previous poster said, most of them are just normal people, trying to do a difficult job.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 PM

FIVEOLOGY- I agree with you completely, PA's laws kida sorta contradict themselves via the info you posted above. The reason ive been pretty adamant (sp?) with my posts is I know a half dozen of people that have been DOT'd in PA and were told to drop the trailer because they did not have a Class A CDL.

Im not trying to start arguments with anyone with my posts...im just posting my personal experience...and from the information I gathered and interpreted, you need a Class A CDL to pull a trailer with a gvwr of 10K or more. Someone else may interpret the law differently than I do...thats no problem with me, I just feel bad for them if they ever pull into a weigh station and are told to pull in the inspection lot.

thats all.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

I am not try to start arguements here either, but you posted that website, and when I went to look at it, it was fairly obvious to me that the two sections of the reg are contradictory. In one section it clearly says you can not do it, while the other section pretty much says you can.

The problem is the part where it says "doesn't meet the definition of a Class A or B vehicle". You can't enforce that law by saying well it's a 10,001 lbs. trailer so it kinda fits the definition of class A. It either fits the entire definition ( gcvwr 26,001 lbs. or more towing a vehicle 10,001 lbs. or more) or it does not. That is why I made my example in the above post like I did, it does not meet the first part of the definition therefore it cannot be a Class A vehicle.

Now if they are enforcing the other part of the reg. where it clearly says you can't tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs with a class C CDL, then that is understandable, but PA still has a big problem with the way this reg. is worded.

I am not in anyway doubting that people have been cited for this in PA.

I am also not saying whether the law was properly enforced or not.

What I am saying is this is a perfect example of why people get so edited by admin about this stuff. I am not interpreting the regulation, or trying to twist the wording, I cut and pasted it directly from the site you posted, and the regulation says two different things depending on what section you look at.

I know you guys aren't gonna want to hear this, but this kinda stuff is just as frustrating from the law enforcement side of things. We have laws here that are pretty much unenforceable, because of the way the law is worded in the law book. The judge usually knows, that it is a good charge, but thier hands are tied because of the wording of the law, and are forced to dismiss the case. Eventually you just stop writing those charges.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 02-21-2007 at 08:11 AM. Reason: profanity
Old 01-29-2007, 05:44 PM

FIVEOLOGY- I agree with you completely, PA's laws kida sorta contradict themselves via the info you posted above. The reason ive been pretty adamant (sp?) with my posts is I know a half dozen of people that have been DOT'd in PA and were told to drop the trailer because they did not have a Class A CDL.

Im not trying to start arguments with anyone with my posts...im just posting my personal experience...and from the information I gathered and interpreted, you need a Class A CDL to pull a trailer with a gvwr of 10K or more. Someone else may interpret the law differently than I do...thats no problem with me, I just feel bad for them if they ever pull into a weigh station and are told to pull in the inspection lot.

thats all.
I run all over PA and know that if they had to drop there trailers it was not just because they were towing a trailer with a gvw over 10k, they were overweight, under registered, or some other infraction. All my trailers are rated 14-15k. My truck is 11k puts me right at 26k. No CDL.

Flip your drivers license over and read what it says:
CLASS: C- Single/Combo<26,001

Where you guys are messing up is between CDL and regular license.
CDL
A >26001k
B >26001-trailer<10000
C <26001-trailer<10000 school/buses

regular license
C <26000 any combo

In Pa to go over 26001 you must get A/B CDL in some states you must get a class A/B non CDL.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 PM

Deerefarm06 , if you read your post you will see your error . A trailer with a gvwr of 10,000 lbs which is what regulations are based on is not a trailer " capable of carrying 10,000 lbs ." Errors like that pevent people from considering you a knowledgeable source of info .
Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

Easy guys, his post may not have been worded perfectly, but apparently he is not entirely wrong (he's not entirely correct either).

RickCJ, I don't know what the back of the PA Class C Operator (non-CDL) license says but if it's like MD. it says SINGLE/COMBINATION<26,001lbs. That could be some of the problem as the link DF06 posted was CDL regs.

A Class C CDL is pretty much useless, unless you haul HAZMAT or drive a school bus, because in most states a regular Class C drivers license (non-CDL) will allow you to drive the same vehicles as a Class C CDL. In some states a CDL C is actually more restrictive of what you can drive then a regular Class C drivers license.

Both Ricks, you are correct that the Feds. still say under 26,001 no CDL required (regardless trailer weight).

Quick Reply: Trailer > 10,000 pounds