Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Trailer > 10,000 pounds

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rusty, I don't remember the annual safety inspections in any of the paperwork, regs or discussions with TXDot, the county or DPS when we got our shop-made custom GN registered, titled and inspected...

does that apply to all trailers in excess of 4500# GVW?
Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as far as getting inside rig and saying its commerical dont think that one would stick if you fought it but money wise not worth it .my trailer has comm. tags now because it is over 4000lbs truck dont never been stopped with this rig yet and trailer does have ads on out side .
Old 01-12-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
This is not just a Georgia law, it is federal law. If the states don't enforce it they will lose federal funds. RV's are exempt from this but they will probably find a way to get money out of them too. Have a friend that delivers his goods in a horse trailer, stops at all scales, and has never had a problem.
It's NOT Federal law . Federal law goes by the ACTUAL weight of the trailer and load , not GVW . The 10,000 comes into the picture only if the weight of the towing vehicle has a GVW of over 26,000 . Then you'd need a Class B CDL anyway . Tow over 10,000 with a Claas B vehicle and you need a Class A . If you have a dually with a 23,000 GCVW , under Federal law you can tow a 15,000 lb. trailer commercialy and not be required to have a CDL . There are a lot of RV haulers out there doing it . You don't need a CDL for Bennett or Horizon to hire you to pull those big triple axle toy haulers and they weigh way over 10,000 . In fact most RV transport companies require you to have a 20K fifth wheel .
Old 01-12-2007, 06:14 PM

once a year the drag strip i race at has a trooper come in and answer quetions on this subject and inform us of diffrent law changes. ill ask him some of these questions and let you know from a ohio state trooper. you know the heart less one lol
Old 01-12-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Rusty, I don't remember the annual safety inspections in any of the paperwork, regs or discussions with TXDot, the county or DPS when we got our shop-made custom GN registered, titled and inspected...

does that apply to all trailers in excess of 4500# GVW?
See Texas Transportation Code, § 548.051, § 548.052 and § 548.101. Farm trailers are exempt, as are trailers not yet registered (i.e., paper tags). Otherwise, if it's over 4,500 lbs GVWR or actual weight, it must be inspected annually. My 5th wheel RV just had its annual inspection in December 2006.

Rusty
Old 01-13-2007, 03:43 AM

Now that's the way to answer a question about regulations - give the regulation number for reference . There's way too many BS answers posted here saying what people heard or think or some DOT cop said . Don't believe anything unless it's backed by a reference to the exact regulation . Over at expeditorsonline.com they're rehashing the issue of needing motel receipts if you don't have a DOT sleeper . No one has come up with a regulation saying you have to sleep when off duty . They say auditors ask for the receipts .
Old 01-13-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Georgia is now enforcing the cdl for a trailer over 10,000 even if the combination is under 26,000. Georgia doing that means that Alabama will also as the laws here are a copy of Georgia.

That is a gvwr of 10,000 or more. An acquaintence just received a ticket for a two car hauler that was empty. This has always been the law, but it was hot enforced here.
Once again we rehash this false info. Usually it is a cousin of a friend,s brother. This time it is only once removed, an aquaintence. So since you actually know this guy, maybe you can fill in the blanks. #1, what is the GVWR of the truck, both on the door tag and/or the registration (if different)? #2, what is the GVWR of the trailer on the VIN tag and/or the registration. And #3, what is the specific statute that was violated? It will be shown on the ticket.

According to the Georgia.Gov web site, the requirements for a CDL are the same as every other state. Page 1-1 clearly states that if the combo weighs less than 26,001 pounds you do not need a CDL.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/docs/forms/CDLmanual.pdf
Old 01-13-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you trying to insinuate that my ex wives, boyfriends, brothers, fiancee, would tell a lie? goodness... say it isn't true! Love you too, brother. I have seen the ticket, and no i am not chasing to Georgia to get the legal info. Might update you when I see him again. Might not, don't really care to defend myself. I said what I said, take it or leave it. I have a class A, its no matter to me, just tried to give a tip.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:01 PM

Well, I did say "maybe you can fill in the blanks". The BS flag is still up
Old 01-14-2007, 06:22 AM

Are you trying to insinuate that my ex wives, boyfriends, brothers, fiancee, would tell a lie? goodness... say it isn't true! Love you too, brother. I have seen the ticket, and no i am not chasing to Georgia to get the legal info. Might update you when I see him again. Might not, don't really care to defend myself. I said what I said, take it or leave it. I have a class A, its no matter to me, just tried to give a tip.
I'm familiar with your posts Haulin' and you're reliable for good info but I'd like to see it in writing on this one . My real reason for questioning is while Bennett Truck Transport's main RV terminal is in IN their corporate offices are in GA and that's the location printed on their signs . They haven't rquired RV contractors to have CDL's . If GA really made this change it'll make it rough on them and the other RV transporters . If a guy has to get a CDL there are a lot better paying opportunities than RV hauling .
Old 01-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Might not, don't really care to defend myself.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I'm just saying your aquaintence is giving you false info or else there is more to the story. I think the give away would be if they let him pull the trailer after giving him the ticket. In Wyoming and Montana, and I'm sure every where else, if you require a CDL DOT makes you unhook and bring in a CDL driver to take the trailer away.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Rick it could have been a rookie cop that got carried away, there was a race situation. If so it will be thrown out of court. One other point, I only mentioned Georgia and Alabama because if you are legal to drive in your state, you are still legal in Georgia. Down the road a week or a couple, I will see him again as I generally do. I am also curious, it would have had to be a change. I forget the county but it was on the southeast beltway where they are especially hard on trucks. The information that was presented on this thread was very clear on it, can't argue that. I certainly have no desire to put bad info out.

The Federal regs say nothing about gvwr of the trailer but most states have added that. Of course, realistically, getting a cdl is not a big deal nor is it expensive.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by gdh11
Haulin,
What it comes down to is the law is so vaste and vague that it is up to interpretation on the roadside. If the Feds and states would get together and decide on one set of rules it would make everything much easier. We are one country and since the roads dont stop at the state borders they should all share the smae rules of the road... more common sense wasted on a Government that has none.
Boy do I agree with that statement... We really live in the 48 associated countries of America. At least on the federal highways the laws should be the same anywhere.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by gdh11
Haulin,

I appreciate the tip and I have checked with NC DMV Enforcement and the Feds and if I stay under 26K and am NOT FOR HIRE, I am not coinsidered commercail in their eyes. If I was hauling other peoples cars for money or cargo for money then I would be considered commercial...that is their definition.

If I go over 26k then I am in trouble. Also the truck is tagged 26K and the trailer is tagged as well. No dealer plates on either one. I do have a Classified A endorsement for trailers over 10K.

I am not doubting you, but I really do not want to get a CDL for a number of reasons but the main reason is the assumption on the road that if you are a CDL licensed driver you need Commercail insurance which is rediculous and very expensive for someone that is only part time.

What it comes down to is the law is so vaste and vague that it is up to interpretation on the roadside. If the Feds and states would get together and decide on one set of rules it would make everything much easier. We are one country and since the roads dont stop at the state borders they should all share the smae rules of the road... more common sense wasted on a Government that has none.
I think you've got bad info on the insurance too . Your truck should be registered as a commercial vehicle and have commercial insurance . If you have a private policy you risk having a claim denied if you have an accident while using the truck for business purposes .

Quick Reply: Trailer > 10,000 pounds