Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Towing 5th Wheel in Smoky's - Dissappointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 5th Wheel in Smoky's - Dissappointed

I had a test run with my truck and 5th Wheel Camper last week in the Smoky Mountain N.P. on Hwy441, over the top and down the otherside, to check out the tranny and brakes. I was dissappointed in both. The transmission seemed to get hot and shifted quirky just before I reached NewFound Gap. I thought it would quit for a minute there. The temperature was about 46 deg. and drizzling rain, but the tranny seemed hot and shifting irratically between 1&2. I'll be using this rig out west this summer in the Rockies and Sierras, so I thought I'd better try it out first. I kept my foot in it, as much as possible going up the western sloop of the mountain. That side is very steep so I thought it would be a good test. Also I smoked the brakes coming down the eastern sloop. I don't know what % grade this hill was, but I decided I better do some modifications before this summer. I'm looking at a Pro Lock triple-disk Torque Converter and valve body, with the Torque Locker switch, and also a PacBrake exhaust brake. I believe this will strengthen the tranny and enhance the braking. Anyone have any information along these lines, it would be appreciated. Michael

PS: Sorry, I should have included this info. The Trailer was 14,000 +/-lbs. The tranny was pulling in 1&2 for the most part. I let it shift on its own, but it was out of "Tow mode." The Brake Controller was a "Prodigy." The Braking was set up right. About half way down the eastern sloop... all was going well, and I thought I'd pull-over to and do a walk around to see how things were heating up. As I pulled to a stop, and brakes (truck and trailer) were fading very badly. I slid to a stop. The smoke rolled out from all wheel opening for 15 mins or so. I stopped just at the right time. There is a God in heaven I thought. Whewww! But I was very surprised. I was hard on it going up and down on purpose, just to see how it would respond.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:11 AM

Re:Towing 5th Wheel in Smoky's - Dissappointed

[quote author=Riverman777 link=board=11;threadid=22518;start=0#msg210421 date=1069066467]
I had a test run with my truck and 5th Wheel Camper last week in the Smoky Mountain N.P. on Hwy441, over the top and down the otherside, to check out the tranny and brakes. I was dissappointed in both. The transmission seemed to get hot and shifted quirky just before I reached NewFound Gap. I thought it would quit for a minute there. The (ambient?) temperature was about 46 deg. and drizzling rain, but the tranny seemed hot and shifting irratically between 1&2. I'll be using this rig out west this summer in the Rockies and Sierras, so I thought I'd better try it out first. I kept my foot in it, as much as possible going up the western sloop of the mountain. That side is very steep so I thought it would be a good test. Also I smoked the brakes coming down the eastern sloop. I don't know what % grade this hill was, but I decided I better do some modifications before this summer. I'm looking at a Pro Lock triple-disk Torque Converter and valve body, with the Torque Locker switch, and also a PacBrake exhaust brake. I believe this will strengthen the tranny and enhance the braking. Anyone have any information along these lines, it would be appreciated. Michael
[/quote]

Michael,

It is difficult to evaluate your situation as your signature doesn't indicate what size trailer you are towing. If you manually downshift the converter will go into lockup. While locked up the tranny should run cool. While the converter is unlocked it will heat up on a grade, the longer the grade the more it will heat.

As for braking, you should check your gain adjustment on your brake controller. These trucks have super brakes, the largest and best. Your gain should be adjusted so that when towing on level with dry pavement at 25 mph, it should be just short of lockup. Only the Jordan and the Prodigy controllers don't change their adjustment depending on the grade.

The PacBrake will be a great help towing in the mountains, however, you still need properly adjusted, functioning trailer trailer brakes.

8)
Old 11-17-2003, 09:01 AM

I agree more info.

What brake controller?
How big of trialer?
How many brakes on trailer(do they work)?

Did you put the tranny into TOW mode by turning off the over drive?

I haven't pulled through the smokeys but I went through the Rocky's a few times, a couple with an old 47re auto and as long as you droped it out of OD with the switch when it needed to it pulled great and this was with 3.55's. In certain situations it would hunt 1&2 on steep slow hills, simple fix, manualy put it in 1st so it stays their.

As for brakes, what do you mean by "smoked" the brakes. That indicates to me that you were riding the brakes for long periods of time while going down a hill. Proper braking going down hill is to apply them for short periods of time and then release to cool and start over. This is yet another reason I think more people need to be required to have CDL's
Old 11-17-2003, 10:36 AM

I don't believe that the Smokey Mountains have any grades that can top what are between my house and Alaska. Near my house i must tow a 14% grade for one mile. I must start this grade at 15 mph. My SO Cummins pulls this in third gear without a problem. Of course the 4.10 axle gives extra towing capacity.

From Valdez, AK to the Summit of Richardson Pass there is 7.5 miles of continuous steep grade with few turnouts. The grade ranges 6% to 8+%. Again my SO Ram towed my fiver easily in 3rd gear. On the Top of the World Hwy between Tok, AK and Dawson City, YK, road has 25 miles of long, winding 5 to 7 percent grades both uphill and downhill. Most of this stretch I towed in 4th gear, downshifting only because of sharp curves. One grade is 9% which was handled easily in 3rd gear.

There are numerous 7+% grades along the Alaska Hwy in BC & YK most of which I towed in 4th gear. at 55+mph. The Klondike Hwy north of Skagway has 11 miles of 6% grade. I towed this in 4th gear, also. (4th gear on 5 speed is equal to 3rd on an auto. 3rd gear on 5 speed is equal to 2nd on an auto.)

I always select the gear on these grades which keeps rpm above 2200 and exhaust temp below 1200 degs. My
SO CARB Cummins is a Super Workhorse
under these conditions. ;D
Old 11-17-2003, 11:19 AM

Your tranny is going to heat up if you let it hunt. You're still going to have to think for the tranny even with an auto. I've hauled in the Smokes and mine did fine. For steep grades, I select the gear I want and its off to the races.

As for brakes, this truck has a great set; far better than previous models. Again, you can increase your stopping ability by selecting a lower gear. Even without the exhaust brake, a little engine braking is better than none.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Riverman,
First, I see you are a newbie, so welcome to the group. You did not tell us what your truck is or what size trailer you are hauling. Hard to help when we don't know the parameters.
I just got back from the Smokies in mine. I was on one 14% grade just like Sierra. I have the 03 HO six speed, so my experiences will not be the same as with the auto. I went up and down Newfound just like you - - I was extremely pleased with the performance and the exhaust brake was awesome. Very seldom even touched my brakes and when I did they responded perfectly. I have the Jordan controller.
Sorry you were unhappy - - I sure don't know why your brakes would be smoking unless you did not downshift coming down the hills. I saw some other units smoking while up there, but it sure wasn't me - - I was just smiling. 8) 8)
Old 11-17-2003, 03:01 PM

Sorry Guys I didn't fill-in the blanks. I modified the original post. Thanks for the good info. After reading some others experiences, I had come to the conclusion that an exhaust brake was needful. Because I love to go to the mountains. I live in the flatlands of FLA, and long for the mountains. I'm in the Merchant Marines and when I get off, I'm pretty much a gypsy. I head for the hills. So the conclusion was... that the Exh Brake (probably PacBrake) was a must, therefore I would also need somesort of triple-disk torque converter and valve body to augment the exh-brake. I know about the Banks equip, and DTT out of Canada, ATC, and Suncoast. They seem to be the premenient suppliers of Quality TC and VB, so I just need to narrow it down to one of the best. The Emjay controller looks promising also. Thanks for the good imput and keep them coming. I'll keep you guys posted on the modifications and how they turn out. Michael
Old 11-17-2003, 03:35 PM

Just a footnote: When leaving the Mountains last week - I was going up one of those hills in NC that have the runaway crash and burn lanes. I spied ahead of me a Ford F350 towing a large 5er going up the hill, with black smoke boiling from his tailpipe. He appeared to be struggling, and moving kinda slow. But I was catching him rather smartly and not even really use the 'go' peddle that much. Now I'm new to this diesel truck thing... but I felt this feeling, this thing rise up from within me. Something down inside me sorta took over and before I knew it... my foot was jamming the accelorator thru the floor. I don't know if I caused him to sway when I passed him going up that hill, but it startled me. This doctor jeckle/hyde thing took over my body. Is there anyhelp out there for this? Anyway, the truck has the power, and I satishfied with that part. But it makes me wonder... what if... On onboard the M/V Amy Frances in the Port of Cincinatti, using a laptop/cell. If I don't respond quickly, it's because I'm between Ports. Michael.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:40 PM

[quote author=Riverman777 link=board=11;threadid=22518;start=0#msg210629 date=1069102912]
Sorry Guys I didn't fill-in the blanks. I modified the original post. Thanks for the good info. After reading some others experiences, I had come to the conclusion that an exhaust brake was needful. Because I love to go to the mountains. I live in the flatlands of FLA, and long for the mountains. I'm in the Merchant Marines and when I get off, I'm pretty much a gypsy. I head for the hills. So the conclusion was... that the Exh Brake (probably PacBrake) was a must, therefore I would also need somesort of triple-disk torque converter and valve body to augment the exh-brake. I know about the Banks equip, and DTT out of Canada, ATC, and Suncoast. They seem to be the premenient suppliers of Quality TC and VB, so I just need to narrow it down to one of the best. The Emjay controller looks promising also. Thanks for the good imput and keep them coming. I'll keep you guys posted on the modifications and how they turn out. Michael
[/quote]
First I'd like to say welcome.
Now as far as the exhaust brake, don't do it until the get it fixed for the 48RE, they have discontinued using them until they fix the problems they have with the 48RE.
As far as the rest of your problems, there is a rule that whatever gear it takes to come up the mountain is the same gear that You should use to come down the mountain, thus if you were using 1st & 2nd on the way up then you should have selected 1st or 2nd to come down. As stated in previous posts this would have locked up the TC and kept the tranny much cooler.
As far as your braking I agree, this truck has AWSOME Brakes and the Prodigy brake controller is one of the best on the market, mind you when properly adjusted and the trailer brakes have been properly adjusted. ;D I've run the Great Smokies with a lighter trailer but running at highway speeds and can tell you that there is a big difference when the trailer brakes are properly adjusted at the wheels them self. Heading to the East Coast they worked just great but on the way West they were not as effective because they needed to be adjusted, I had just put 3k miles on the trailer. ;D You should also be pumping the brakes and not riding the brakes then you would not have SMOKED them. Obviously you going way too fast for the situation.
Don't get mad just try it again with the adjustments that have been sugested before the addons and you may be suprised at the results.
The beefer torque converter may help but give the 48RE a chance and see what DC is doing and others are doing before spending the extra money and if you really need to spend it the just send it to me so I can do a few mods ;D ;D
Old 11-17-2003, 03:47 PM

Also I want to put the Mag Hytec tranny and diff. pans on. that would be a good thing. I'll not address the issue of tweaking the power up, at this time. Maybe at some later time. But that should cover it. Michael.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:54 PM

The trailer is still pretty new. 4 months. But I've been thinking that I need to check and retorque the wheel bearings and readjust the brake adjuster on all 4 wheels, just to make sure that everything is right. Probably check the amperage to each magnet too. Michael
Old 11-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Micheal,
Nice part of the Jordan controller is you monitor the current to your brake system all the time - - that is how it is set. You can set voltage all day long - - an open circuit will still have voltage across it, but won't pull any current. When I look at my controller, it is telling me how much current my brakes are drawing. It is much smoother than my Prodigy was and does not give me the quirky responses.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:17 AM
Banned

I am very familiar with the route you took overr the smokies, and I have driven it myself several times. Also I know you are new to the forum, so hello and welcome. What I do not understand is why you would select that route as your first test? Some might not understand, but I know exactly just how steep and windy that pass is. I would not personaly ever want to pull a trailer up that route. And it baffles me why you did, esspecaly being your shake-down run. The fact that your truck made it should be proof enough of it's ability. The 3.54 gears are just plain wrong for that size of a load. I do not know how much towing you are planning on doing? But if I were you, I'd be saving for a new transmission.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:56 AM

[quote author=y-knot link=board=11;threadid=22518;start=0#msg211349 date=1069247860]
I The 3.54 gears are just plain wrong for that size of a load. I do not know how much towing you are planning on doing? But if I were you, I'd be saving for a new transmission.
[/quote]

The 03-04 don't have 3.54's. They have 3.73's or 4.10's

The autos do work much better with 4.10's then 3.54's, I have one of each. Don't know how big the difference is from 3.73 to 4.10 but I am sure it would have helped.

Quick Reply: Towing 5th Wheel in Smoky's - Dissappointed