Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Tires. What's everyone using? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/tires-whats-everyone-using-325408/)

pipefitter 06-19-2016 08:55 AM

Tires. What's everyone using?

First, please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place. I have a very low mileage '96 4x4, that my Dad bought new. It wears tires pretty fast, and I'm assuming it's the weight. The original tires lasted about 26,000 miles, a set of Wranglers lasted about the same. Michelins made it for around 40,000 and the current Firestone Transforce have 24,000 on them and "might" make 30,000. I bought it with the Michelins on it. No alignment issues, pressures always on the money, not driven aggressively. I've even considered a set of cheaper tires from Pep Boys or somewhere since nothing lasts very long on it. What are you guys running?

.boB 06-19-2016 10:06 AM

I'v been using Michelin LTX M/S. Most miles are empty, with just a cap and a drawer. I tow a light weight trailer 6-8 week ends a year. I get a little more than 60K out of them.

The question is, why are yours wearing out so soon? I would start with a 4 wheel thrust alignment.

Danderson 06-19-2016 08:03 PM

The Nitto Duragrapplers get rave reviews for longevity and strength

pipefitter 06-19-2016 09:11 PM

Michelin LTX M&S went a little over 40,000. Alignment is spot on and the tires wear evenly. I run little lower than recommended pressures. I think Dodge calls for about 80 psi. The truck tips the scales at 6400 pounds or so. One issue could be where it's driven. Most of my miles are in town. Almost always turning, stopping, starting. I seldom get the truck out on the interstate.

MikeyB 06-20-2016 07:22 AM

Around town driving with lots of acceleration is hard on the tires, especially with a high torque engine like ours. I have the same issue. Like the others mention better highway design tires will probably help, like the Michelin LTX M/S, Nitto Dura Grappler, Toyo Open Country HT, Cooper Discoverer HT3 for example.

Mexstan 06-20-2016 10:39 AM

I have been using Yokahama tires on my truck for years with zero problems. Highly recommend them.

AggieJustin 06-20-2016 02:56 PM

My last set were Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/70/17) and they lasted to just over 50K. Rotated every 5K, balanced every 10K. Wore very evenly the whole time. Treadwear was getting down to minimum and I had belt separation on one of the fronts at which time I replaced the whole set.

SIXSLUG 06-20-2016 07:43 PM

Road surface?

Harvie 06-24-2016 03:04 PM

I had problems with Michelin slipping and sliding all over the place, never got more than 35K out of them. I have Firestone transforce now and they seem to be doing great.

Danavilla 06-25-2016 09:25 AM

My '06 came with Michelin's on it. Most of my miles (~75%) are towing an 11K fifth wheel with about 2K on the hitch. The original 4 got a bit over 60K miles so I replaced them with the same tires. I now have about 126K miles and they are still good for another 5 or 6K miles. I'll buy the same tires again.

Busboy 06-25-2016 11:44 AM

I'm still using these and very pleased with them, I switched from Michelin after comparing side by side the top tires including Nitto. The tire shop also told me the local telephone company was using them year round on their fleet of trucks... good enough for me and wait until you check the price.[coffee]

Multi-Mile - SUV-LT