Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

switch to 4:10's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
What's wrong with a front scoop air intake for positive pressure cool air? Pulling it from what amounts to the cab heater intake duct is crazy.
Actually its a pretty good idea in that the cowl is a perfect cool air positive pressure location. Thats why most vehicles pull the HVAC vent air from this location. Unfortunately letting the engine pull from here too can allow turbo noise to travel right into the cab. And in regards to positive air systems using scoops..... A vehicle has to be traveling pretty fast for this to occur and generally charged engines aren't affected either as the turbo or blower pressure already generated is greater than what atmospheric pressure cramming in the scoop can. But, can be a great advantage for naturally aspirated engines.

Originally Posted by Danderson
I cherish the lack of whistle in this truck and the psm setup didn't affect the noise at all. I couldn't even handle the BHAF in my 24v.
Thats good to know, but I'm really surprised too hear that especially since its basically the same exact thing as the Scotty was, besides the PMS using the stock airbox.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The additional intake comes off of a 4" hole in the bottom using a corrugated hose. The hose extends down outside the wheel well. I cut my hose off a few inches as it seemed too low.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:12 PM

The additional intake comes off of a 4" hole in the bottom using a corrugated hose. The hose extends down outside the wheel well. I cut my hose off a few inches as it seemed too low.
The PSM kit drills into the firewall and uses an "S" shaped hose which connects the cowl to the airbox. The stock airbox already uses the hole in the wheel well to pull air from within that area. So if you didnt use the hoe to the cowl then that would be why you aren't hearing the turbo noise in the cab I described.

Edit: I didnt notice you have an '07. You're correct that this year uses a different design and doesnt tap into the cowl.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:10 PM

No my 3rd gen version just has you drill a 3" hole I believe and go straight down with the hose while retaining the factory opening into the firewall.

I see you read the difference.
Although we get maybe 10" of rain here i have crossed some rivers in Utah. I decided to cut the down hose about 3" shorter for piece of mine. Some guys have corked it off temporarily when going through deep silt in Baja or water.
Maybe someday for looks I'll get an S&B with the dry filter.
Then I'd be back to the high pitched turbo whine again.
The BHAF sounded like somebody with COPD on my 2nd gen.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 PM

After looking at the PMS photos of the 3rd gen cold air setup, I was wondering if the fact that the cold air tube is pulling air directly from the front tire wheel well, does the air filter get plugged up fast?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Not in my case as the truck hasn't seen any dirt roads in too long. I put a few hundred miles in Utah dirt but didn't notice anything different.
I'd plug it though for deep Baja silt if I went. Even the stocker plugs up. My friends drove in fifty miles and another hundred north and south offroad down there and each truck need a new stock paper element when they hit the highway.
The 3rd gens came stock with the 2" filter which was upgraded to a 4" deep paper unit.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With 3.73's, you should be able to handle 10,000+ without much of any struggle.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you considered a Gear Vendors underdrive? Kind of expensive, but might be worth it to you.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:37 AM

$4K for a GV unit installed and they don't recommend an exhaust brake if you ever want one. My friend wishes he'd never done it on his '07 5.9.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 AM

$4K for a GV unit installed and they don't recommend an exhaust brake if you ever want one. My friend wishes he'd never done it on his '07 5.9.
I've read and talked to people who say the same thing.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If someone gave me a working Gear Vendor, I'd sell it before it broke! I have replaced so many of those in heavy vehicles on the exchange program for clients.

Hard to pay for itself when they don't last!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
If someone gave me a working Gear Vendor, I'd sell it before it broke! I have replaced so many of those in heavy vehicles on the exchange program for clients.

Hard to pay for itself when they don't last!
The only thing holding my friend's together is 285's and stock power.
I think even GV discouraged him from buying it because of the eb.
He's going 35's next and I reckon that'll be the death blow.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:02 AM

I met a guy who had one on his Dodge Cummins and couldn't use the exhaust brake while towing because it snapped the GV shaft. He was on his second one.
I mentioned that years later on a forum and someone said GV strength was improved, but I couldn't say one way or the other how accurate that is.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa, this thread kinda took off on me. Didn't realize there were more reply's.....

Anywho, thanks for the responses. Yes, the truck is a 3rd Gen. Thought the sig. line was enough. We have another trip planned tomorrow with the trailer, and the weather here in Cali is hot ! So it'll be another test. I haven't done anything with the truck yet, so there will be no change i'm sure. I was considering changing the Smarty to the 100hp bump just to see how that treated me power wise. Would this be trans suicide ? I've always stayed away from that setting because of that fear.

Would there be a better setting for my Smarty than the one i'm running ? (SW2-TM2-TQ4)

I looked at the PSM air box mod, and don't have a problem switching to that. I saw talk of a hose that went to the cowl, but don't see that as an option for the 3rd Gen. Am i missing something ? Looks like it's only a hose that runs out the bottom of the air box down toward the bottom of the fender liner.

Is there a "go-to" add on trans cooler that folks like to use ? It makes sense to me to add something larger than the stock set up.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 AM

Sorry about the truck year confusion..... That was my bad. But in defense, sometimes those sig's dont show up. Not sure why either.

If you have a tranny temp gauge on that Edge then you can try upping the hp setting but I'd be very leery. And I'd be very attentive to when you're on the throttle too. Meaning, if you're merely going to smash and go and let the truck aimlessly shift as you're climbing hills or entering traffic then you'll probably want to leave power as close to stock as possible. But if you're only going to use the extra oomph for while maintaining certain gears then you may be just fine, as long as the torque converter doesn't slip. Just keep an eye on the tranny temp gauge.....

Other than doing anything already suggested in the thread, make sure you keep the truck tires aired up properly and the trailer tires aired up to their maximum psi rating. Check the coolant level and give the radiator a "light" hosing just to remove any potential dusty debris which may reduce some heat dissipation. Dont pull in OD and always make sure the torque converter is locked, especially when going up any grades. That will keep tranny temps down and help the engine run in the higher rpm range so its not lugging as much and more air flows through it.

Have fun.....

Quick Reply: switch to 4:10's ?