Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Small 5th Wheels?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small 5th Wheels?

Been thinking about a camper lately and would like a 5th wheel. It is just my wife and I so we don't need/want anything big. What manufacturers should I look at for smaller 5th wheels? Can't go with a bumper pull because my aftermarket rear bumper only has a towing capacity of 5,000# (with or without a weight distribution hitch)

~Rob
Old 11-03-2008, 02:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd suggest going used, unless money is no object. Things loose huge value in the first few years, whether they have been used much or not.

I've got a 30' Patio Hauler, and I use it to haul 2 large quads. It has the typical front queen, bathroom, sleeper dinette... It is unusual, though, to find a seperate garage type that short.

The bummer is that the quads have to be turned sideways to fit. The first one is easy, but the 2nd one is tough, being half on the ramp.

I had considered new, but I got this unit for a little more than I figured I'd use for a down payment. It needed some detailing, new tires and brakes, but everything works well, and I could probably get most of my money out of it...
Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rob, as you know I had a small 5th wheel a while back. It was really made to be pulled by a 1/2 ton and sat up nose high on my truck. I had an opportunity to buy my current WW for a good price, so I sold the 5th wheel. Also, I had to pull a utility trailer behind the 5th to bring the quads.

IMO, I think you should consider selling your current rear bumper and buying a Frontier or some other bumper that allows you to use a factory type receiver, or add a Putnam Class V. The cost difference is only a few hundred dollars at most. Then you could find a clean used TT toyhauler, similar to mine.......and bring your quads, your motorcycle whatever...and still have the bed of your truck free too. I just don't see a practical way to accomplish what you want to do any other way......without spending a fortune on a 5th wheel toyhauler. I have already been down that road. Good luck. Call me if I can help any.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:58 AM

The other combo that works well is a monster hauler or other rack to haul 2 quads over the pickup bed, and a travel trailer.

A friend of mine does this, and it has some advantages. Not having to have a trailer for a day trip would be nice, and also he doesn't have to break camp to ride in places where you can't legally ride ATV's between the camp site and trail head.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the tips guys
Sorry, I was probably being misleading in my post when I spoke about toyhaulers, so I removed that line. I am really interested in small non-toyhauler 5vers at this point. Most of our camping, we just want to camp and not ATV. When we go ATV'ing overnight, we usually rent cabins.

I am on the fence as far as used versus new. I know the depreciation hit would make it easier for me to buy an used one, but not knowing the history of it would make me a bit skittish (thanks YouTube ). If you buy an used one at a large RV seller (such as there are around DFW), is it possible to get a warranty, or are those unheard of on used campers?

Thanks,
~Rob
Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 AM

Look around and you can find a great used deal. We found one that an older guy that worked on laying a gas lines used. It had not been towed much at all and was like new. The RV sales place we bought it from had a program that you could buy an extended warranty for most parts that could/would break. (AC, heat, stove, microwave, hot water heater, etc.) I've towed it enough in the last 2 years to need a new set of tires on it now. You will love it, we sure do.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by st.rodder2
You can probally find some real great deals on new ones right now. The dealers are taking some good money off in order to get them off the lot. I like the Thoroughbred's and Cougar's. You'll love the way a 5'er tows. No swaying.
Kinda off topic...but I noticed that you have a shortbed and a tool box and still pull with a 5ver setup...what kind of hitch are you using and how close have you come to the cab with your setup making the sharp turns?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdram
Thanks for the tips guys
Sorry, I was probably being misleading in my post when I spoke about toyhaulers, so I removed that line. I am really interested in small non-toyhauler 5vers at this point. Most of our camping, we just want to camp and not ATV. When we go ATV'ing overnight, we usually rent cabins.

I am on the fence as far as used versus new. I know the depreciation hit would make it easier for me to buy an used one, but not knowing the history of it would make me a bit skittish (thanks YouTube ). If you buy an used one at a large RV seller (such as there are around DFW), is it possible to get a warranty, or are those unheard of on used campers?

Thanks,
~Rob
I had a warranty on my small 5th. Course, I never needed to use it since I did...

Yes, to answer your question, you can buy a warranty on them. (RV Shield is the co. name mine was through and I paid to have it transferred ($50.00) to the new owner when I sold it.

But like already mentioned, you can probably buy a new one now at a great price.

I still think you should consider the Toyhaulers though. They are not as plush as the NON-THs but they are just so much more versatile. Are you really going to want to PAY for a cabin when you have your Travel Trailer/5ver sitting at home collecting dust? Remember you are camping... Not checking into a 5 star hotel. I sleep better in my TH than i do at home. It works great for camping (non-atving) but has the ability to take the ATVs too. Best of both worlds, with minimal compromise, IMO.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM

Wildcat makes a nice 24 foot fiver.......

I think it is a 24 RL- Rear living area.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM

There are indeed some deals on new ones out there, but there are also some great deals on used ones.

Go to a big RV show, and take your digital camera. Things that are important to me are a shower that I can stand up in (some shower floors are several inches above the RV floor), and having the intertainment center where you can see it comfortably from the seating areas.

Anyhow, if you go used, the major $$$ problems you could run into would be water damage from a roof leak, or from a fixture. Next to that, RV refrigerators are expensive. Of course, check the age of the tires and check the brakes. Most everything else isn't that expensive to repair...

If you find a unit you are intrested in, maybe you could find a buddy experienced in RV's to help you look it over.

Also, a book called RV Repair and Maintenance by Bob Livingston is an excellent resource. Reading it was very helpful when I was looking at my first RV.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 PM

the wildcat is made by forrest river. i have my eye on the 31qbh and the 32 something something something. seems to be nice units. jayco also has nice stuff and also heartland sundance has a few.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 PM

i just went on their website it is a 245rl sundance LT. it measures just under 27 feet. the website is heartlandrv.com
Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
You may want to consider the "Glendale" line, they make three different lines of trailer that use their patented front that has the bed up high forward of the pin. This gives about 5-6 feet more space yet keeps the pin to back of the trailer 5-6 feet shorter. Some Travelaire, all Titainium and there is one other that I forget.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small 5th Wheels?