Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Slide in Camper for 06 Mega Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you mean - sure wouldn't figure a 1 ton Dodge would have such a low payload compared to a super crew Ford f350.

One thing I find interesting is that the weights are listed differently by manufacturer - lance has their's listed as a dry weight before options. That means no A/C, etc. is figured into the weight. So when I look at dealer lots, the tricked-out models actually weigh several hundred more pounds DRY than the manufacturer website listing.

I understand the strong opinions expressed on weights and ratings, and really want stay safe. researching axle ratings almost always comes back to stopping capability as much as tire capacity. With those factors, I can see where a good set of high load E (3700 or 3900 lbs) or 19.5's make sense to handle higher loads, but I would almost insist that an exhaust brake should be added to improve braking. There was a substancial difference in braking distance with my 2001.5 3500 wearing thew 19.5's vs. stock wheels. I know the 3rd gens got better brakes, but my wife will not be happy if the braking returns to the feel of the 01.5. For the money, I want to add an exhaust brake before shelling out for Ricksons. As yet I have not found any other 19.5" rims for SRW trucks. I see Fords and Chevys for the railroad using dually style wheels in a SRW configuration, likely with the front offset adapters on all corners, but I am not sure how well that works for regular use?? I think they do it for the support of a stronger tire (225/70R19.5) on the skinny rail surface while carrying all the tools to fix tracks and switches. Perhaps someone from a RR can chime in - I saw a series of posts from a BNSF employee in a forum over e-mail harassment for his broken flagpole...
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put an exhaust brake on my truck knowing that I carry a heavy load and I am glad I invested in one. It works great in my neck of the woods (Colorado Rockies) with all the passes. I use it even empty.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Yeah everything I have found puts the alum rims at 3195, so just be cognizant that just because the tires can hold more doesn't mean the wheels can.
I am cognizant of this issue, I just wish a company would make an aluminum wheel that would match todays tire ratings. By the way I dig your state of Idaho. The Salmon river is awesome.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Thundercloud
I am cognizant of this issue, I just wish a company would make an aluminum wheel that would match todays tire ratings. By the way I dig your state of Idaho. The Salmon river is awesome.
I completely agree, on both counts!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
I also agree with your wheel assesment. Another forum claimed that a wider rim (for the wider tires) is rated higher than the stock rim, but no references were presented and I haven't found anything. Another poster in that thread linked Stockton Wheel for the best choice for upgrades, but there isn't great information on the Stockton website. I actually liked the look of their custom Power Wagon and Military style wheels, but no prices or ratings were given. Stockton is a definite contender though, since they list several styles for 19.5" SRW applications. This puts them in competition with Rickson on that account. Of course, buying and balancing/grinding commercial 19.5" tires may make the pricing very close to Rickson's anyway.

My mistake seems to be that I bought the Mega for the interior room, at the sacrifice to bed length, at a time before wanting a truck camper was in the picture. Someone on another thread posted that full size adults can fit comfortably in the rear of a Quad Cab, but I disagree - at 6'4" tall, I was pretty cramped behind the front seats. Since I bought my truck to keep for several years, having good interior room for my boys as they grow was important, as well as the ability to hide/secure cargo in the interior vs. the truck bed. We have fit quite the stuff in the truck for trips as it is, and the Camper would make some great memories while allowing some comforts when boondocking!

I really look forward to seeing Idaho one day - I loved Oregon and Washington, though I was more in the Cascades/Coast Ranges than further in toward the Rockies!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM

I have seen a couple aftermarket rims that go above 3200lbs in 17", but for the money 18's or 19.5's are probably a better option.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:50 AM

I think everyone is missing the elephant sitting on the coffee table!

He bought a Mega Cab for room. Then is trying to cram 4 people and a dog in a shortbed camper. Growing boys even, as opposed to non-growing! Jeez, there's more room in the Mega!

I have a full size lance on a longbed dually and its heavy and cramped. Better take the family to the dealership and sit in there for three hours while its raining outside with a wet dog.

Just speakin from expirience man. She didn't become my ex for no reason. (Of course it was my RV choice, it couldn' be me....right?)

Then again your wife and boys could be absolute angels....then my point is moot.

Jim
Old 07-30-2010, 08:20 AM

Smile

Payload for a 4x4 Mega SRW is only 2590 lbs.,for a big truck thats very low,the Quad cab 4x4 SRW is only 2880 lbs and even the Mega cab 4x4 DRW only has a payload of 2840 lbs. compared to the Quad cab 4x4 DRW at 3330 lbs for the auto or 4480 lbs for the G56.Compared to the Quad cab almost half the payload of a Mega cab DRW is for the truck itself! You can still get a small non slide out camper.Campers only really sleep two large grown adults,the table bed is always only about 5'5" and usually kind of narrow for two and any fold down beds always have a childs weight restriction.One can always sleep on the floor area too. Some slide outs( not all) also have one problem I didnt like and that was if you make a road side stop and want to get into them it is difficult and the bathroom door does not open enough to get in,of course you can always use the bush to go.Here are some Lance short beds that will work around 1800 lbs the 825 and the 865 http://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/#shortbed ,also Lance is top of the line there are others that will work too.Make sure your shocks are good get some air bags and a sway bar.I still need to get my road master sway bar and my camper still,just need a job first.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by KWKING
Payload for a 4x4 Mega SRW is only 2590 lbs.,for a big truck thats very low,the Quad cab 4x4 SRW is only 2880 lbs and even the Mega cab 4x4 DRW only has a payload of 2840 lbs. compared to the Quad cab 4x4 DRW at 3330 lbs for the auto or 4480 lbs for the G56.Compared to the Quad cab almost half the payload of a Mega cab DRW is for the truck itself! You can still get a small non slide out camper.Campers only really sleep two large grown adults,the table bed is always only about 5'5" and usually kind of narrow for two and any fold down beds always have a childs weight restriction.One can always sleep on the floor area too. Slide outs also have one problem I didnt like and that was if you make a road side stop and want to get into them it is difficult and the bathroom door does not open enough to get in,of course you can always use the bush to go.
Those numbers sure do shed some light on the limits. I have a long bed mega dually and its limited but I am looking at it from a different angle now...a smaller 5th wheel or TT as opposed to a massive toy hauler [not needed for us but like them] will net us better handling and economy.
Yeah thats it. LOL
It is pretty hard to understand how I can lose that much payload but oh well.
The Mega is what we wanted.

Now if I can only come up with the loot to convert a 5500 to a Mega Cab.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM

No elephant on the table - riding for 8-12 hours straight to get to my destinations means getting the most comfortable ride I can, that still met my other needs. I still tow cargo trailers, and was intending on another 5ver when I bought the Mega. Plus it replaced a Grand caravan and older CTD. I get almost as much usable room in the Mega as I used in the grand Caravan!! The mileage is only slightly less than the van, when I have everything loaded equally. With the locking bed cover and tailgate, it is reasonbly secure, too. We loaded up all our luggage and even the Christmas presents from Santa (they are still young enough, lol.) plus a big cooler with food and drinks and spent 2 weeks traveling from Iowa to Florida and back. We stayed with relatives for a good portion of the trip, but the hotels cost almost as much as the fuel anyway. The weather ranged from snow and slush, to rain showers, to bright sun, and everything stayed dry whether inside the cab or under the Retrax cover.

We want the camper so we can travel even more places, having a place to get out of the rain if we need to, yet still camp in really cool places. Many areas we want to go are also where I am working, so I want to tow the company car behind the rig. My boss expects me to arrive at a client's facility, check on our systems and make sure the client is happy, and take them out to lunch. Therefore, I need my company car, and the family can take the truck and do what they want to do. My boss covers hotels during the week, so that isn't a problem, but if we want to stay a few days longer, then I have to cover lodging on my own. Hence the camper. If I buy out right or with good financing, it pays for itself pretty quickly, when you factor just how many days we could be using the unit. With taxes and fees, it is right around $100/night for a decent hotel these days, $75 for lower end places. Add the expense of dining out the whole time, and it adds up really fast. The dog may not come with us on every trip, either. We tent camp now, so we are familiar with staying cramped up for long periods when it is raining, only being in the camper should be dry! I have never had a tent that didn't leak. A trailer would give more room, but not let me tow the company car, or a boat, or a cargo trailer if needed/wanted. I have seen people tow triples, yes, but it isn't an option. I do not feel it is either safe or appropriate for my situation.

SO: I am still looking for a truck camper, based on the uses I have deemed right for ME.

Wife and I have been married for 15 years, thanks, and she grew up in a family with 5 total that traveled all over the US in a truck camper on a 1981 Super Cab Ford F250. No slides, small bar fridge, porta-potti in the wardrobe closet, and no A/C. This was in the days when parents threatened us with the seatbelts if we didn't behave, so the girls would ride in the bunk of the camper when they travelled down the road. Not sure on the rules for campers, but I am pretty sure that the kids are required to ride in the cab with belts on, so the Mega is still the way to go. There are camper models out there now that are lighter than before, and have the amenities to make our trips much more comfortable. Over 100 degrees in a camper with no A/C isn't fun.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:10 AM

I guess ill throw in my 1 cent. I dont have a mega cab and I dont currently haul a trailer so now that that's out of the way here is what I do know

My 03 4x4 Quad Cab SRW Hauls my beatup heavy old 1986 Frontier 8"9 camper with no problems brake or power wise.
The camper weights just under 2500 lbs , fully loaded this means all the luggage 1 single male would carry for a month on the road.

With my setup the weight over the front axle the many times i've weighed it varies between 4541 lbs and 4620 lbs. The Rear is between 5038 lbs. and 5445 lbs depending on how I load, and 5445 lbs puts my truck 86 lbs over GVWR and 1364 lbs until maxing the GAWR's. And even at the 86 lbs over the rear overload springs don't make contact yet.

Yesterday however I purchased a 2010 Lance 825 8"6 which is about 500 to 600 lbs lighter than my old beast. The only reason I bring up my older camper is the weight/performance factor if I can drive the many mountain passes of BC with my 86 lbs overloaded camper without having any braking or power issues I truly believe you'll have no problem with a 825 and your dolly. I do have a manual which makes up for alot of the braking issues I would have so if your running auto the exhaust brake would be a must in my mind.

Space is another issue im on my own so being cramped is no concern even in an 8" , i've had probably at time 6 people in my old camper keeping dry having some beers and didnt mind. I cant put myself in your shoes with the kids situation but I think the 825 is a good way to go.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4DJ
With my setup the weight over the front axle the many times i've weighed it varies between 4541 lbs and 4620 lbs.
I am surprised how light that is, I think I am that heavy on the front empty. With the family, wife and 2 kids, the 4 wheeler in the bed and the trailer hooked up (600lbs tounge) I am at 4900 on the front.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:29 AM

Check out the Northwood manufacturing Arctic Fox model 811, built for a short bed, fridge slides out with dinette creating a lot of space, dinette folds down for bed and bunk folds down above it, the units have an aluminium superstructure, units come with A/C and Generators built in, prewired for tv,cable,phone. stereo/dvd is standard. heavy duty power jacks with remote, awnings etc. dry weight is 3468 lbs, these campers are built the way a camper should be built, they advertise these units using a picture of 26 employees standing on the top of their 1150 model, Im trading my adventurer in on one come spring.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bahlu
Check out the Northwood manufacturing Arctic Fox model 811, built for a short bed, fridge slides out with dinette creating a lot of space, dinette folds down for bed and bunk folds down above it, the units have an aluminium superstructure, units come with A/C and Generators built in, prewired for tv,cable,phone. stereo/dvd is standard. heavy duty power jacks with remote, awnings etc. dry weight is 3468 lbs, these campers are built the way a camper should be built, they advertise these units using a picture of 26 employees standing on the top of their 1150 model, Im trading my adventurer in on one come spring.
That is a great camper with nice features, but its weight exceeds the load limit for any shortbed truck. It weighs 1000 pounds more than the same size Lance, and I would not want it on my truck.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Artic Fox and Lance are both really nice campers,like top of the line.But slide outs are too heavy for a SRW truck.A slide out will not sleep any more people ,it will make the floor area bigger for someone sleeping their but,any other beds will be the same as a non slide out.Sure the overall area is bigger
around the kitchen and table area and thats nice but just too heavy again for a SRW.Just go non slide out ,save fuel and enjoy,you can still make it work for you.Most slide outs slide at the rear,so when you make a short road side stop you cant get into them very well when the slide out is in.4 is really the limit for a camper,better for just 2.get one and go,life is short!

Quick Reply: Slide in Camper for 06 Mega Cab