Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Slide in Camper for 06 Mega Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slide in Camper for 06 Mega Cab

OK, after searching threads on sizes of campers for shortbeds, I am still confused. We are looking to get a "comfortable" camper to use with the Mega Cab - for two adults, two growing boys (8 & 10), and possibly our dog. What is a limit or range my SRW 4x4 Mega Cab can go? If I need to add Timbrens or bags, fine, but I want to be certain the weights are OK. I also want to tow my comany supplied Impala () since we can all go together when I travel for business. I have a tow dolly for the car already, but am not sure on the hitch - stinger lengths, moment arms, etc. - to be safe towing the car while loaded with a slide in camper.

I have seen mixed messages on size - I don't think a "Pop-up" is a good option for us due to size and wife's comfort level traveling in bear country. I am also confused by brands. I see Palomino units for sale at (to me) reasonable prices with lots of features, and used Lances and Hosts with similar feature for way more money.

My research continues, but any information on campers for Mega Cab 3500 SRW 4x4's is greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 PM

Question

Anybody out there use a slide-in truck camper on their Mega Cab??
Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
search the mega cab thead. There is a dude with a sweet Lance.. Lance seems to be real popular and well made
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your #1 limiting factor is the tires. Go weigh you truck and see what the current weights are on the front and rear axle. For the front the axle is the limit, 5200lbs; on the rear its the tires/wheels. 3195 per OE wheel max, or 6380lbs...

Go from there and see what you can fit, and don't forget to add your tongue weight.

I bet you find you can't fit a camper large enough for 4, and have any room to spare for tongue weight without going to 19.5's.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Consider a trailer. You're going to be tail heavy with any slide in. They're should be an insert in your paperwork warning you to not mount a slide in on your configuration.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 PM

Good greif you people make it sound as if these trucks cant haul or tow more than a golf cart. Its a flipin 3/4 or 1 ton truck. If it cant handle a dang slide in camper and tow a 2500 pound Impala on a tow dolly then he needs to get a Ford or Chevy. I have a 06 3500 4x4 Mega and I wouldent think twice abought any slidein made for a short bed. The tow dolly isent gona add enough toung wt to make it worth even taking that into consideration.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Pretty sure Ford and Chevy still use LRE tires on their trucks.. Really hard to argue with that.

Do what you want, but stay out east.. That way you not putting anyone I know on the hwy in jeopardy when you decide to overload your truck.

If he finds a camper that stays within confines of the equipment, then go for it.

Mega's are going to be quite hard for slide-in's as the extra cab weight already has the front axle near max GAWR.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrukow
Good greif you people make it sound as if these trucks cant haul or tow more than a golf cart. Its a flipin 3/4 or 1 ton truck. If it cant handle a dang slide in camper and tow a 2500 pound Impala on a tow dolly then he needs to get a Ford or Chevy. I have a 06 3500 4x4 Mega and I wouldent think twice abought any slidein made for a short bed. The tow dolly isent gona add enough toung wt to make it worth even taking that into consideration.
My friend has a crewcab shortbed 2500 Chevy. He just bought a Lance 855 slide in specifically designed for a shortbed. It's set up with E-rated tires,Bilstein 5100's and Firestone airbags. The camper weighs just short of 2400# dry. The guy's terrified to drive it. The cog is so far aft and the chassis is way overloaded. Emergency handling and stopping is another matter of concern. This vehicle is similiar to a shortbed of any manufacturer. A 1000# lighter camper would help,but most hardsided campers are heavy. I'm reminded of the movie Endless Summer where the guys are riding in a rickshaw with their surfboards and the operator is airborne.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 PM

I dident say go buy the bigest slide in made. Some of those are a load for a dually but putting a slidein made for a shortbox is not gona hurt anything. They make slide ins made for 1/2tons so if our 1 tons wont handle a slide in then thats a prety worthles truck.

If your freind is afraid to drive his truck with the camper on it then he is a hazard on the road. If your not comfertable driving somthing regardles if its empty or loaded then you have no buisnes being behind the wheel of that vehicle in that situation.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
I dident say go buy the bigest slide in made. Some of those are a load for a dually but putting a slidein made for a shortbox is not gona hurt anything. They make slide ins made for 1/2tons so if our 1 tons wont handle a slide in then thats a prety worthles truck.
They certainly don't make them for 1/2 tons or short boxes based on vehicle mfgr ratings, or tire ratings... Do the math on some of them...

There are campers that will work, but it will be a fine line.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 PM

In your previous statement you mentioned that your budies slide in was aprox 2400 pounds and that made it handle bad. I have had 2400 pounds in my box before and at best it made the truck ride smooth with no negligable side efects on handaling. Now granted the weight was centered lower down in the box than a camper would be but honestly it dident even drop more than abought 2 inches, just enough to make it sit level. If it wouldent have such a negative efect on the milage I would love to drive around all day with it in there to make the ride better. Again the weight was much lower than a camper but it handled way better than expexted.
Anouther few times I have had some weight higher up that I seriously couldent even tell was on there. I made a steel rack to hold 2 ATVs above the bed rails and still be able to pull a camper. Each ATV is 600 pounds dry plus all fluids and gear. Usaly by time all is said and done they are around 750 pounds. Then the rack I estimate is 300 pounds, it takes 3 guys to load it. I drove like that to Colorado and back and did some sight seeing including Pikes Peak with the ATVs on the back and almost couldent even tell they where there. There was no body roll or anything on the corners and curves.
This was my old truck.
Name:  rack2.jpg
Views: 3275
Size:  125.9 KB
Name:  rack3.jpg
Views: 6375
Size:  109.6 KB
Old 07-12-2010, 12:21 AM

I looked at the Mega Cab picture thread, and the only mega with a camper is definitely not stock! That is an 8-foot bed conversion, with what lookes like a custom ladder bar suspension system. Looks good, though, as stated! It is even the right color, lol! I don't have the coin to do those mods at all.

I am researching the Lance 855 (actually interesting, after the Chevy story), and the Palomino 8801. The Palomino is about 300 lbs lighter, with much less gray and blackwater capacities. It also has a shorter Center of Gravity measurement.

They list the Center of Gravity points - Lance says that is the measurement toward the front of the truck, from the tailights. Would 42 inches be better than 37, or is the 5 inch difference negated by the extra toung weight of a trailer anyway? I figured that a COG of 37 would keep some of the extra weight off the front axle.

How does one increase the load bearing capability of the front axle? I know other heavy haulers have done things with suspension components, 19.5's, etc, but those help with tire load and handling, but not axle rating correct??
Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 AM

There really isn't anything you can do to the front axle, its not a wheel/tire/spring limit, its the axle itself.

The 2010's have a 5500# axle, but those wont be cheap to source.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Shortbed campers are designed for a 6.5' box, to put the C/G forward of the rear axle. Isn't your Megacab box shorter than that? DO NOT install a camper not designed for your box. My shortbed camper is barely big enough for two adults, and I would not ever think 2 adults, two children and a dog would fit. If you find a camper built for a Megacab box, and I have never heard of one, it will be smaller than my Lance, and one adult will be its maximum capacity.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 AM

Mega Cabs all have the same shortbed box as the other Dodge shorties, 6'3" if the top lip is taken into account. If a camper fits the standard Dodge shortbed, it will fit any cab configuration. What I am working through is what shortbed campers will work with a Mega Cab. I have the same wheelbase as a Quadcab Longbox, with a bigger cab and the standard shortbox. Since all camper manufacturers like to post their weights and COG points differently, I am not able to easily compare models from different manufacturers.

Looks like I should have bought a lighter weight truck. Having the 3500 SRW doesn't look good for much more than towing a medium trailer. Pretty disgraceful that a 1 ton dodge with the best engine in a pickup won't handle a truck camper unless it is a tiny pop-up. I just can't understand how so many trucks go down the road everyday with loaded campers, bike racks, fishing gear, and towing the bass boat.

Quick Reply: Slide in Camper for 06 Mega Cab