Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Short Toy hauler for Jeep???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Toy hauler for Jeep???

I have been running the camper with a trailer combo for a while, its starting to become a nuisance...loading and unloading the camper. Plus its so tall we need a ladder to get in and out.

Storage space is limited, but I was wondering if anybody knows of a short overall length bumper pull toy hauler that will fit a Jeep in the back? I am hoping for something around 25 ft, 12 ft. of which is used for the jeep.

I guess my only other option is to buy a box trailer and do the conversion, but I would rather not.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 PM

I have been looking at toy haulers for the past two weeks in the birmingham area. Of course that doesn't mean what you are looking for isn't out there. but I would doubt it, unless you are talking a pretty light vehicle. Max load will be on the left (driver's side) side, up front on a little plate. It will tell you how much you can load on the rig. I have seen some bumper pull types that could take 4 quads, and even estimating 800 lbs each (for the big ones) that is 3200 lbs, or about 1 and 3/4 tons. That's a lot of weight on those little bitty trailer tires (35 feet, 3 AXLES).
Even if you want to buy a used one, call a few dealers and ask about what kind of load they can carry.
Most of the conventional bumper pull rigs I have seen in the last two weeks are topping out at around 1000-1500 pounds of added cargo (in a 32 ft with two slide outs).
Adding a jeep ( Cherokee? or a topless hunting rig?) would put a lot of weight in back if the rig was the type that kept everything way back of the axles.
One thing to note: the dealers are willing to talk price a lot more than ever. About 20% less than sticker just for walking on to the lot, so hit them hard, once you find what you are looking for.
Google up Prowler, jayco (eagle class).
there are some that are just a hollow hanger deck with fold up furniture, essentially an underbuilt cargo trailer.
If you are handy, you will get a lot stouter basic rig under you, with a cargo trailer that you retrofit. Of course the plumbing for toilets, kitchen, water tanks and pump stuff etc will all have to be installed under a false floor, so it is inside the insulation. And you will want the jeep right over the axles.
Add two deep cycle, batteries, a power jack, and solar panels for trickle charging.
Don't exceed tow weight, hitch weight, or carrying capacity of the trailer, and don't over load the truck.
Good luck.
P.S. WE spend 30 days in the woods in our rig, in a primitive camp, and right now we are on our second month straight with just an electric hookup and tank water. Doing a de-clutter process right now. Empty tanks each two weeks. It can be done if you have a wife who is adventurous.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Chapter President

Ive looked at this a lot....

Not meant for jeeps!!!! Especially not off road capable ones.

Of course my problem is getting one that is capable of fitting a 7' tall wrangler in (with FLAT 37" MTR's).... it just doesn't exist. The only options Ive found are to do a gooseneck trailer with a camper on it, or get a custom enclosed one (forest river does it)....

Shot of it: Toyhauler frames are not meant for our jeeps (especially with heavy axles, tires, and rollcages.... They are meant for atv's and bikes. I did see a guy on here with a LR D90 in one.... but again, too short for mine.... Plus I'd bet he's overloaded.....

Good luck with it.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your jeep is only 12 feet long and 7 feet tall it would fit in mine but again it comes down to the weight. I think I have around 14-16 foot of cargo space. I dont know what your Jeep weighs but my campers cargo weight is 2500 pounds acording to the sticker on the wall. I dont think I would feel rite abought sticking a Jeep in there even if it was within the weight rating. I have seen threads on here abought people sticking Jeeps in there toy haulers and pics of it but I dont think they where designed for it.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Yeah, Jeep weight is 4500 lbs.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Chapter President

[QUOTE=bkrukow;2456510]If your jeep is only 12 feet long and 7 feet tall it would fit in mine but again it comes down to the weight. I think I have around 14-16 foot of cargo space. I dont know what your Jeep weighs but my campers cargo weight is 2500 pounds acording to the sticker on the wall. I dont think I would feel rite abought sticking a Jeep in there even if it was within the weight rating. I have seen threads on here abought people sticking Jeeps in there toy haulers and pics of it but I dont think they where designed for it.
QUOTE]

What's the width between the beds? I need 81" for the tires.... My jeep is closer to 3000lbs.... maybe I'll carry water in the bed of the truck and make something work..... Is there really 7 feet of heigth in that bad boy?

ANY MORE PICTURES?????

P.S. the wifey's gonna be mad at you for getting my wheel's turning.... But I thank you!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in the middle of building one right now. I you used a slide in 10 ft camper and only need 12feet of deck for your jeep and 24ft GN would probably work. Might be a bit heavy for a bumper pull though.

I used a 30ft GN trailer and a 5th wheel. Leaves me about 14.5ft of deck for my Grand Cherokee. Here is a link to the build thread:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=236125

Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM

clay: Now THAT is the way to do it. There is even room for 6 deep cycle batts, and solar panels. I am impressed.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks! I took the idea from others I had seen on the board here.

Its setup so the 5th wheel can come off and either trailer used independently.

I don't have the money for 6 deep cycles batteries but I get used 8Ds for pretty cheap so I'll start with those...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 PM

Ime not sure how wide it is with the dinet and couch folded up but I can go measure it. I also dont know the exact hight inside but if ya look at the flore plan the back bed goes up to the ceiling when not in use. I am 6'2" and there is a lot of room above my head with the bed all the way up. I have it sitting for sale in a town 8 miles from here. I will try to measure it tomarrow.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 PM

Space isn't the problem so much as weight. Most of those Toy Haulers are only good for 2000#. Most modified Jeeps are in the 3-5K range.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:22 PM

I agree. I dont think puting a Jeep in a toyhauler is a good idea. To me it would be smarter to build one from a goosneck and a nice fifthwheel camper like posted above. Then you could make it as nice or as cheap as you wanted.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Mine will come in around 10K. $4500 for each trailer and about $500 for the materials for building the lifting platform plus I want to add some extra things.

There are Toyhaulers that can handle a smaller Jeep. My friend has a CJ on 33s and found one that would fit it. It was a triple axle unit and had a 4000# garage capacity. Unfortuntaly the recession hit so that plan got put on hold.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think most toy haulers have the tie downs to hold a jeep in place even if the jeep would fit. I was trying to talk the wife into buying a slide in camper and a goose neck and just build our own toy hauler. Might even be the cheaper way to go.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a next level CK30 that has a 4900 lbs cargo payload with forged D rings tied to the frame. But its heavy 16900 lbs gvwr