Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Scared to haul new trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I see you on the road, I'll be the one that pulls over and gets out of your way. IMO--- your an accident looking for a place to happen.
Jay
Old 09-17-2008, 05:05 PM

I dont know why you're implying im going to be in an accident, im not worried about my driving or my ability to control the vehicle, I was asking these questions to find out things to prepare for like diff temperature, what tires to run, if I can use the factory rims, what airbags, and anything I might be forgetting. If I were worried about getting in an accident or killing other people theres no way I would think about putting this on the road with that weight. when I get there to load up of coarse Im going to drive it around a bit to see how it handles it and if it won't Im not going to just say oh well and hit the gas, If it wont haul it I wont be bringing much back.
It is somewhat offensive to me hearing these comments like your an accident waiting to happen and Ill be the one pulling over for you. I drive 180 000km a year and have yet to come close to an accident.
Thanks to all that have given advice.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck is not designed to haul that kind of weight. When something fails, all the driving skill in the world may not prevent an accident. Don't take it as a personal attack.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 19Fury69
I dont know why you're implying im going to be in an accident, im not worried about my driving or my ability to control the vehicle, I was asking these questions to find out things to prepare for like diff temperature, what tires to run, if I can use the factory rims, what airbags, and anything I might be forgetting. If I were worried about getting in an accident or killing other people theres no way I would think about putting this on the road with that weight. when I get there to load up of coarse Im going to drive it around a bit to see how it handles it and if it won't Im not going to just say oh well and hit the gas, If it wont haul it I wont be bringing much back.
It is somewhat offensive to me hearing these comments like your an accident waiting to happen and Ill be the one pulling over for you. I drive 180 000km a year and have yet to come close to an accident.
Thanks to all that have given advice.
How many km a year do you drive with your truck loaded to twice its capacity ? Sensible people wouldn't try this with a duallie . Since this is for commercial even though private use make sure you have a DOT physical card , log book , and US DOT numbers on your truck . You WILL be stopped and checked pulling that kind of load .
Old 09-17-2008, 06:13 PM

see my whole point here is, I wont load it if it wont safely move it. I'm not an idiot and I know what my truck will and wont do, of coarse im not going to haul a trailer thats so heavy my front end it coming off the ground, or even if my truck doesent feel stable. If need be, I'll just bring back one pallet. But I strongly belive my truck will haul alot more then that safely.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

with each pallet weighing 5000lbs-what the heck is in it-a cubic meter of water only weighs 2200lbs....and unless there's a bunch of steel in it-I'm kinda dumbfounded as to its makeup.
By the way-what are the dimensions of the pallets?-I am wondering if you will be able to pack all 4 over the trailers axles & not push too much weight forward.
Matt
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Thats what I thought but apparently ide be a menace to society to try it. Its liquid floor wax and floor stripping agent. These weights are a worst case heaviest scenario. these are 4 feet by 4 feet i think and there about 6 feet tall.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM

Get some Ricksons and some 19.5" truck tires and you will be just fine in the tire dept. That's still a lot of weight for someone who hasn't towed before. Honestly, I'm glad I won't be in the path of a novice pulling a trailer that heavy.... No offense intended.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 PM

Well I've driven semis with one or two trailers hauling grain and dump trucks and stuff like that for years on the farm, I meant I've never hauled anything more then 5000 with this truck. Ive driven far bigger and badder things
Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 PM

Thats too much weight for a 2500 especially at the distance you need to travel. You will be miserable by the time you get back if you get back! Don't get me wrong I'm not flaming your driving, I just think you're asking to break something. I really can't believe that some here are saying that you'll be fine! You'll be WAY WAY over weight on the pin, over on the tires,and over on the wheels. Bad idea man, find a different truck,make two trips, or pay to have it hauled. It's not worth the savings to beat yourself and your truck up!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:59 PM

You guys just dont understand what these trucks can do, while I agree that legally you cant do more than 15000 lbs, they will handle much more. With some good 10ply tires, air bags, you will not have any problems with a 25000lb load. They have used the same powertrain that you have in your truck in class c motorhomes with no problems. The AAM axel is more than strong enough for that weight. And as I see it, if you can get the load to balance so that you can get about 4 -5k weight on the hitch , with the airbags, you will be fine. Is the trailer that you are using rated for this weight, how many axels under it. This is IMHO more important than what the truck can do. If the trailer is a tridem you will be golden. more then enough braking power, as i had said earlier in this thread, I have a buddy that has a ford,, 7.3 l and he pulls this much weight daily. And he has yet to have a problem.

BUT, another person did post a valid concern, if you were just staying in Canada, I dont think you would have a problem, but because you have to cross borders, you might run into issues there,, also you will have to buy extra insurance, and also license your truck for more weight

Kevin
Old 09-18-2008, 12:43 AM

I understand exactly what these trucks can handle. I'm not trying to sound like a smart a** but your friend isn't the only one that pulls heavy loads. I've been around this stuff all my life, I know what a truck will and won't do. Now...this thread isn't about me or you or your friend so I don't want you to think that I'm trying to get into some kind of "I'm smarter than you" pissing contest.So with all of that outta the way IMO he will be way to heavy on the pin...period! I know the truck can pull it,I've never doubted that fact but pulling it and pulling it over LONG distances safely and comfortably is entirely different! It really cracks me up,the whole I've got a diesel so I'm a big truck attitude. I've seen more than one guy get himself in deep trouble on the road because of that mentality. Drag it if ya want but let me know so I can keep my family out of the way!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow. Honestly guys, I am a little surprised in the direction this thread is going. Usually, there is some fairly sound towing advice that can be found in this forum. But this seems to be an exception to the rule. Can everyone at least agree that a properly loaded 27k trailer will have WAY too much pin weight for a 2500? I sure hope so - seems obvious to me. What caught me off guard here is that there were some suggesting that the operator create an unbalanced load to alleviate some pin weight. First of all, to be in the realm of acceptable pin weight for a 2500, it would have to be cut AT LEAST in half. That is a huge change in trailer weight distribution. This is not sound advice to be giving someone that is asking if they are going to be safe and ok to tow this weight. We aren't talking about shuffling around 1k worth of weight here. This is creating another unsafe condition.

I don't believe those that are expressing concern are personally questioning your driving skill. We all must realize that there will be situations and conditions that can arise directly as the result of how prepared one is to deal with a given situation. To be grossly overloaded is another way of being unprepared...all the driving skill in the world cannot allow anyone to defy the laws of physics.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
You guys just dont understand what these trucks can do, while I agree that legally you cant do more than 15000 lbs, they will handle much more. With some good 10ply tires, air bags, you will not have any problems with a 25000lb load. They have used the same powertrain that you have in your truck in class c motorhomes with no problems. The AAM axel is more than strong enough for that weight. And as I see it, if you can get the load to balance so that you can get about 4 -5k weight on the hitch , with the airbags, you will be fine. Is the trailer that you are using rated for this weight, how many axels under it. This is IMHO more important than what the truck can do. If the trailer is a tridem you will be golden. more then enough braking power, as i had said earlier in this thread, I have a buddy that has a ford,, 7.3 l and he pulls this much weight daily. And he has yet to have a problem.

BUT, another person did post a valid concern, if you were just staying in Canada, I dont think you would have a problem, but because you have to cross borders, you might run into issues there,, also you will have to buy extra insurance, and also license your truck for more weight

Kevin
Sorry but you don't understand and you don't read... His axles are not AAM and not that they would do much better. He has a Dana 70 or the cross Dana 80 at best. The wheels are not rated for any more then 4000 at best and he would still have 10k on the rear of a truck for what 4000 miles. I would bet the people would not even load him if it not safe and going to be a risk.

Did he think of that. They will put the load in the parking lot and tell him he is on his own. They will not want to have any part of it. The floor of the trailer will not hold what it takes to load that type of cube, you think they will want to load it one box at a time. Also what about customs and import taxes or anything.

But any way you look at it putting 10k to 11k on the rear of the truck in this case of an 01 2500 for 4000 miles is just asking for it.
Yes the truck will pull it Yes the Motor will hold up, THe axle, wheels, brakes and everyone else's safety is at risk. Need to stop quick or make a quick lane change and that could be the end, that is if you ever get going, You will be a flag for DOT and all DMV and the SHP with that rig and tags from Canada. Also not keeping up with the 70 or 75 mph traffic will get you looked at. I know it was said that he would go at his speed and keep it slow.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by 19Fury69
Thats what I thought but apparently ide be a menace to society to try it. Its liquid floor wax and floor stripping agent. These weights are a worst case heaviest scenario. these are 4 feet by 4 feet i think and there about 6 feet tall.
You may want to check with IATA laws.. I belive you fall in with Haz-Mat requirments. In regardst to weight I would haul no more than 2 pallets at a time for that distance. I'd haul 3 for just a couple hundred miles but couple thousand is another story.

Quick Reply: Scared to haul new trailer