Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Are Safety Chains Required For gooseneck?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Are Safety Chains Required For gooseneck?

I'm from PA, and am wondering where I can find out what the law is as far as safety chains. I have been told that they're not required as long as you have a breakaway. Can anyone tell me where to look, or who to ask? Thank-you in advance!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In all states I'm aware of absolutely
Old 04-13-2005, 08:48 PM

Its a pretty gray area for a gooseneck and you will get varying opinions upon who you ask. Then you ask the question of whether they serve a purpose or not. Do a search, there was a very lengthy discussion on this a while back.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Banned

I can't quote exact state laws but listed in all of my trailer dealer catalogs that show federal requirements state that, "Safety Chains Are Required When Towing" they don't breakdown for what kind of hitch you are using. Not pretending to be an expert on the subject, and this may be proven to be wrong, but if your going to error I would always rather it be on the better side of it.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 PM

Ohio Law states that safety chains or cables must be used when hauling a trailer with the exception of a trailer connected be means of a kingpin.

I guess that means 5th wheels are exempt from the chain law, not sure about the goose though.

How many tractor trailers do you see with safety chains.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

I have seen a few logging trucks with chains, but Tractor Trailers all fall under a whole different set of rules being commercial vehicles.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A gooseneck is not a kingpin, all ball type hitches like a gooseneck need safety chains. Kinpin hitches, like fifth wheels and otr trucks don't need sfaty chains. The safety chains you saw on a log truck would have been for a log pup which would have been a pintle type hitch.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Banned

I'l buy that, keeps all of us right, can't beat that outcome.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 PM

Anything with a Pintle Hook or a Ball is considered a towbar connecting two vehicles, ie: truck and trailer. They all require safety chains. You go on interstate highways, the laws apply to you. The federal law requires that the states may have stricter laws but cannot superceed federal laws for safety by having less strict laws. They may not get hot and heavy enforcing some particular laws the laws are the same as a minimum. Fifth wheel does not need chains. Just for the record, most states, with Penna as a leader have stricter laws by far. In a few cases the feds have had to step in and throttle the states down on the stricter laws, like semi and double lengths for instance.

So if you want to know what is expected of you for your gooseneck trailer, get the green FMCSA book from a truck stop, about five bucks, and look up tow bars. If you are towing a car behind you, same applies. Commercial or private does not matter it is all the same. Commercial only matters on license, insurance, markings, logs, etc. Safety it is all the same.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:21 AM

I know around here for a longtime nobody had chains on their GN's they didn't even have hooks in the bed of their trucks for them. A few years ago they really tightened down on them if you didn't have hooks in the bed you had better make sure that the chains didn't swing in the bed.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:55 PM

We've got 3 GNs that don't even have safety chains on them. All the flatbeds we've ever had for our trucks didn't come with anything to hook them to either. Never been pulled over for not having/using them.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That is exactly why I ask. I have seen several trailers without chains on them, but everything that I've found so far on towing laws says they are required. Thank-you guys again. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:51 PM

Thought I would try and help and find the official PA webpage with laws and statutes,
but here is what I found at this Link
Where can I find state laws or statutes online?

State laws or Statutes are not available online. You can research state laws in any of the state libraries across the state.
So, the laws and statutes aren't available on line, that stinks.
What about calling the local State Police barracks?

Good luck,
~Rob
Old 04-14-2005, 09:03 PM

I'll put it to you this way, if you should go to any surrounding state with the truck, Maryland, New York, Ohio, you better have them or any officer can shut you down on the spot till you have them installed. Too much chance to take.

Are they necessary, of course not, no more than any fifth wheel trailer, but the law says so. It is really inconvient to get shut down and have to pay a fine plus get chains installed on the road, ruins a day fast.

The only thing I can see that they are good for in reality, if you hit another vehicle, I have worked several accidents where the goosneck tube flods up from inpact. As it bends the ball can be forced from the trailer part of the hitch, with the cab stopping the trailer. That can ruin your day also.