Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

RV transport...how NOT to lose money?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
email sent..

QUOTE=arlo smith;]I have sleeper (fiberglass,dark blue) that fits across bed of truck against sliding window. Good shape 150.00 if anyone interested. Southbend In. Email:arlosmith@sbcglobal.net[/QUOTE]
Old 05-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2RamsNoCash
Well my ten cents may not be worth much but my brother is leased out to Pacer he is gone 2 months at a time to pay all his bills truck/home/pick-up he uses a system called idleair at truckstops it costs 1.85 a hour includes heat and a/c as well electricity cable and internet connection,compared to idleing or other heat/ac options this is quite affordable all you need is a window adaptor.8 hrs x 1.85 14.80 seems like a better plan than generator burning fuel and a a/c unit.Hope this helps my brother said it dropped his costs greatly.
Often idleaire spots are the only ones available some nights at truckstops where they have them . You don't have to pay for all the time you're parked , just the time you use it . I usually don't turn it on until after I've been in the truckstop eating , showering , etc. Then in the morning I turn it off when I go in for coffee . If the temperature is between 55 and 75 I won't run it all night .
Old 05-30-2007, 06:34 AM

I have checked on my old truck a few times and it burned no more than 0.75 GPH at 1300 RPM with the A/C cranking if I recall correctly... does that sound about right?

I can't imagine that an aux unit is LESS efficient than a truck engine... IdleAir is only wherever it is at truck stops, I'd rather be self-sufficient I think. I was not sleeping at truck stops maybe 50% of the time ...
Old 06-27-2007, 05:16 PM

Had to LOL at some of the comments on making a living hauling RVs. Apparently some live very cheap or as one party mentioned, they have another source of income. oilfiled, Im right there with ya brother. I'm a O/O hotshot Co. based out of IN and the truck makes no less then $1.97@mile, most of the time its nearer the $3 mile mark AND Im home every day. We all have Dodges of varying yrs and are pulling 48' FB. I think if most would figure thier actual cost per mile, they may just have a coronary when realizing that they aren't making much. In reality McDs pays about the same in the end there. I've had some of these RV brokers contact me on hauling thier products on our FB, but they cant even come close to matching what we make along with being home daily. BTW, if ya'll making $$ hauling these RVs, how about spending $200 and putting a set of air lift bags inder your truck so ya aint blinding the rest of us with your lights, ESP the boneheads that insist on running thier fog lamps on clear nights. Gonne have to start stocking up on marbles again I rekon. lol
Old 06-27-2007, 07:30 PM

I'm a hotshot O/O as well. I just Leased an O/O based in indy.
I agree on the RV thing. That market is screwed. I looked into it, to keep a couple trucks busy, but there's just no money there to be had.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by herb
It is getting to the point where delivering our own product is not paying for itself but if we have to ship west coast commercially we lose our west coast bussiness. The cost of shipping a large item (horse carriage) commercially is a deal breker for us.
My son just got off the phone with me from Arizona. He is pulling a 53' trailer with 6 horse carriages . one to Ar two to Ca two to Nev and one to Utah.
He was stopped and held 3 hours last nite at the port of entry in NM , finnally paid a 131.00 fuel tax lic to get on road and just now went thru the same thing in AZ where he had to pay another 81.00 . Lord knows what is going to happen in Ca.
Even worse is these permits are only 3 day permits so if we were going back thru the same way we would have to pay it again.
Surely there is a better way ??
The first and last time I stopped in the port of entry to AZ it only cost me $78 for a 30day permit, NM I never have stopped at. The drawback was it was only valid on I10. Since that first time I learned how to go around those scales. Knock on wood I've been lucky so far as to not get caught. Now if you run IFTA you dont have to pay the taxes. But if your going to run IFTA and pay the extra taxes why not go ahead and buy a semi right.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 AM

Ifta isn't that big of a deal. It goes off your miles driven by state, and the tax paid on the fuel you purchased. Last quarter I had a $12.00 credit.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:34 PM

This topic shows the lowest pump price is not always the best deal .http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-...ForumID2&omm=0
Old 07-01-2007, 08:12 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

The real fact is do not pull for RV companies. They don't pay and the scrutiny you have to endure to pull for them is just ridiculous. They are looking for newbies in the industry. Just say no!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 PM

Diesel Deuce started this thread on Feb 18 asking for help to do what she likes and to pay for cancer treatement, ( I'm from Ontario and have hard time to swallow that ), her last post was Feb 28,............
Old 04-24-2019, 04:30 PM

I like that rate at 1.15 per mile, what company do you work for? I don't have a 1 ton truck yet to haul my travel trailer, but was considering doing a 1520 mile one-way trip soon and was doing research looking for the lowest rate and was considering using uship because I heard good things from them. How much would it cost to hire you for a 39' long 8' wide, 11.7' tall, 2019 wildwood 33ts GVWR-11,288lb, (in this video it shows all the details
)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by totustuusmaria
I like that rate at 1.15 per mile, what company do you work for? I don't have a 1 ton truck yet to haul my travel trailer, but was considering doing a 1520 mile one-way trip soon and was doing research looking for the lowest rate and was considering using uship because I heard good things from them. How much would it cost to hire you for a 39' long 8' wide, 11.7' tall, 2019 wildwood 33ts GVWR-11,288lb, (in this video it shows all the details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka4gIRJEH6A&t=488s)
Seriously, this is a 12 year old thread. Do you think trailers are still being transported for $1.15 a mile? If you want to know the current rate give Leah a call at 1-888-two hundred-52 zero one
Old 06-27-2019, 10:04 AM

I'm starting a new transport job this week at $1.33/mile. Can't say where just yet; they aren't looking for anymore people right now.

If you want to transport cargo, go to YouTube and look up a guy called TowPiglet. He's been doing it for four years and has some incredibly informative videos on how to get started. I think he makes $1.50/mile and up depending on the load. He just retired his 2015 RAM 3500 at 500k miles and got a new 2019.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 AM

The pay on the top line means little. It is the profit on the bottom line that counts. Once you subtract fuel, maintenance, insurance, tolls, permits and the other costs you will probably be making less money per every mile you drive than a brand new guy working for Swift. You are an owner operator, which means you are a business so you have to know how to run a business. Also be aware that being self employed means you pay all the social security taxes. IOW, your taxes will be almost 30% of your profit.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:12 PM

Followup... that job lasted one delivery. The company I was leased under screwed up and couldn't manage to get me a paycheck in a timely fashion, and as a result, I missed out on three loads (with very little dead-head) that would have netted me about $3500. I said F it and went back to being a programmer.

If I ever try this biz again, it will be with freight, not RVs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RV transport...how NOT to lose money?