Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

RV LED lighting

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
RV LED lighting

Looking to relamp my fiver. Lights draw a lot of power, and lighting is a bit dim. Mostly 921 bulbs involved.

I did the chat thing at superbrightleds.com, and they came up with a 260 lumen T10 for about 20 bucks apiece. Seems to me the stock filament 21 cp is about 260 lumens, so what's with the super bright bit?

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I used this company for interior lights 640 lumens on their Elite series.
It's as bright inside as home now.
They seem to have multiple applications inside and out.

Elite Series Retrofit Bulb
Good service too.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson
I used this company for interior lights 640 lumens on their Elite series.
It's as bright inside as home now.
They seem to have multiple applications inside and out.

Elite Series Retrofit Bulb
Good service too.
That's a significant improvement over what I've seen so far. What's interesting is that they have a variety of products for different applications. For instance, high output natural white for the kitchen, and normal output warm white for the bedroom.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:51 AM

Yeah,I had some $6 specials in there that I wasn't happy with and too white a light and lacking in lumens.
I googled this site and am super impressed with the warm bright light out of such a tiny fixture. My wife and I used to supplement reading in the bunk with headlights but no more.
They Priority Mail everything to you promptly.
They recommend installing one light at a time for 15 minutes and to make sure you're plugged into shore power or that your batteries are good.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I have a large 5th wheel with many lights. Too many lights..... Because it was manufactured not too many years ago, most of the lights are florescent. But there's still a lot of regular incandescent bulbs.

So because we enjoy camping where there's no hook ups I looked into swapping for LED lighting to help save battery bank reserve. But.....WOW, these freaking little lights are stupid expensive. Why do people pay so much money for them? I refuse to pay exorbitant prices for technology which takes pennies to make.

But that said, I did replace only a couple lights on this coach with LED's and we only use those lights when we're no hooked up. They still provide ample lighting but barely any battery draw. Enough lighting that I'll wait out the ridiculous high price band wagon.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:44 PM

I thought the same thing until purchasing and installing them. My popup only uses five interior lights. I use the less expensive ones outside for markers and exterior lighting.
There's no comparing these to my cheaper ones.
It's like comparing a Carli setup to a BDS.
I agree somebody's cleaning up,and waiting should yield a lower price.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:51 PM

There's a lot of product out there right now. Most of it is marginal. When you build a bulb from SMD led's, it's pretty easy to at least come up with a theoretical output. Not even that is disclosed by most of the vendors. M4 is very straight forward about their product.

The latest run of LEDs, led by CREE, consumes 10 watts and produces a whopping 1000 lumens. I have one in a flash light. It makes my mag lite look like a kid's toy.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Couple years ago now, following the recommendation from an RV forum I bought a package of ten from 10pcs 12V Dome Bulb 36 1210SMD LED Warm White Adapter BA9S T10 Festoon 31 44mm | eBay

Yes, they come from China and yes, it can take four to five weeks to receive your package. $25 for a package of 10, shipping included.
The 36 smd 1210 best imitated the 1140 bulb they replaced at a fraction of the amperage. Been running these for a couple seasons and am quite happy with them. Want more light? search for the 48 led pad
I linked to the "warm white" but if you search you can come up with a natural white. I think the "warm white" isn't as yellow as a regular bulb

I outfitted three other campers plus mine and none have any complaints about the lights.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought mine from Amazon. I think it was 10 for about $23 or so. Buy the WARM LIGHT color NOT the WHITE. I love the light they put out, not too bright, and the color is perfect. Just like the incandescent bulbs. I can run as many lights now and not put a dent in the battery.