Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   RV Batterys (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/rv-batterys-77155/)

waam 09-05-2005 01:17 PM

RV Batterys

Got a kill switch now for my batterys. Question is, does it make a differents if I put it in the black positive wire or the white ground wire? I have two 6 volt batterys set up to make 12 volts. Been using it this way for a long time, now I want to put in a kill switch. Next question is why do I always get this green crud on my positive post. Wing nut is tight and I always sand it clean. A month or two later this green stuff is back. Anyone know what could cause this. Today I cleaned the battery stud and the eye on the end of the wire and put some petroleum jelly on it and tighten it up, so maybe that will help. waam Holland Mich.

Tfeore 09-05-2005 01:31 PM

Wire/terminal choice shouldn't make a difference. The switch will work in reverse if wired backwards though. It's just opens or closes the circuit.

I think the green crud is inevitable(sp) I feel like I take good care of mine and I always find it on the terminals. I think it collects from the fumes. I have found that terminal protecting spray works for a little while.
tom

rockwithjason 09-05-2005 03:24 PM

Green crud is corrosion from the acid fumes as stated. You can use grease to stop the corrostion. If you really want to do it right, you can get copper coat grease from the electric supply house. Great stuff.

supr 09-06-2005 04:54 PM

Most RV manufacturers use the negative for their switch, there may be some reasons.
The spray is good, but the red/green round things they sell at the battery section at Walmart work well, $.99, I think. Use them on all my batterries, car/truck/RV. Pretty much eliminates green crud

Jeff in TD 09-06-2005 06:53 PM

I'd put the switch on the negative end. Since the rig is negative ground, there is less risk of something shorting out to the chassis...

the real FYRMAN 09-08-2005 02:08 PM

You can put the switch on the positive or the negative. If you want to eliminate all current draw, put it on the positive side. Even with the switch open on the negative side, there will still be draw through appliances that are internally grounded, for memory settings and the like.

DarkPaladin 09-08-2005 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by the real FYRMAN
You can put the switch on the positive or the negative. If you want to eliminate all current draw, put it on the positive side. Even with the switch open on the negative side, there will still be draw through appliances that are internally grounded, for memory settings and the like.

There will be no draw if you disconnect the negative side, or the positive side. You can't complete the circuit, you won;t get any load draw. [dummy]

the real FYRMAN 09-09-2005 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by DarkPaladin
There will be no draw if you disconnect the negative side, or the positive side. You can't complete the circuit, you won;t get any load draw. [dummy]

Yes, there will be a draw. If you wanna get technical, a dirty battery will have a draw with nothing hooked up.