Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Recs needed on SRW or DRW for 5th wheel towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recs needed on SRW or DRW for 5th wheel towing

Hello everyone--

It's been a few years since I last participated on this website.

Last truck is listed below in my sig. Lost the TC at 75K. Replaced by Dodge after much discussion (truck had 75,300 and warranty expired at 75K). Sold truck about 30 days after repair. New owner had same problem and lost TC within 4 mos. I assisted them in dealing with Dodge to get it replaced again (it had a 1 year warranty). Needless to say, I was discouraged with my beloved truck and purchased a 2010 Tundra Crewmax with the 5.7L. Loved the truck! Sold it in 2012 to purchase a new home.

Now....I am considering a new diesel truck again (I think I want diesel). It appears the Aisin is worlds better that the 48RE! Good to know.

Do I dare and say that I should consider gas motors as well, so as to be fair and prudent in my decision....as finances are part of the equation!!

I will be considering all makers before I make my decision (Chevy, Ford, Dodge). I'll visit all forums to see what I can learn about each and do as much research as I can.

My intended uses....

Want a Crew Cab/Mega Cab, 4X4, Long bed, auto

Daily driver and tow a fifth wheel for family vacationing with kids when they are off school. Fifth wheel yet to be purchased. It will be about 32'-34' and weigh around 12K-14K, with kingpin weight around 2K.

Travel with 2 adults, 2 kids, small dog. Occasionally 3 adults and 2 kids. That's about 700-850 in passengers. Plus full tank of fuel. Normal gear in RV.

With this said, would the safest be a SRW or DRW?

Does the 3500 SRW have the capacity to meet my intended weights?

What rear end ratio? I want the best mileage as most of my driving (90%) is without towing

I prefer the SRW as it will be my daily driver and it is just easier to maneuver around town. I don't want to be on the edge GCVWR or at max king pin weight.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 PM

14k...I'd go diesel.

Safer?
Probably DRW.

But I much prefer SRW, mine pulls my fiver just fine.
She's a bit larger/heavier than what you have planned.

Name:  PhotoAug3144204PM_zpsbbbfade8.jpg
Views: 7705
Size:  36.7 KB
Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM

To be absolutely safe with your family, you need to research more details and numbers. Most any 2500/250 series diesel can PULL most any 5th wheel, but the problem is actually what the truck can carry safely! Pin weight on a 5ver is about 15% on an EMPTY trailer, and closer to 20% loaded to camp. A 14,000# trailer @ 15% is 2,100# and that isn't considering the 100-150# hitch that goes in the bed!

With 700-850# of passengers, fuel, any tools, and any carry along stuff passengers tend to bring along, and 100# hitch you are into dually territory unless you get a ultralight 5ver. It would need to be weighed to be sure anyway.

Look at all the major brands and even used by a few years (most brands have higher GVWRS starting about 2008 than previous years) and try to get numbers for curb weight, GVWR, and use the numbers you have for passengers added to curb weight and see how much you have left for pin weight to stay under GVWR. Diesel will cost more up front than gas versions, but resale is better. Fuel is more for diesel, but you will get better mileage towing and empty. Any gear ratio offered in a dually will pull a trailer you are describing, so opt for a highway gear if you can.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you considering a new truck? I'd think a 2500 newer model could handle that 5th wheel no problems as well... the 3500 for sure... but if I'm not mistaken the only thing the 3500 offers is an extra spring leaf, but maybe that's changed in the newer trucks.. it was the case in my model (05)..

all the gory details can be seen here:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 PM

I can't find numbers on SRW 3500 series, but a 2500 WILL be overloaded. Like what is posted on other forums I am on about camping and towing - a 2500 can pull it, IF it were a farm trailer weighing that much, with no weight added to the truck to CARRY. But since this trailer will put an estimated 2100# in the bed and 100# hitch and he has 700-850# added together is 3500#. The 2014 guide the link above gives a 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab (stripped down model) with 8' bed a 2528# payload - ALREADY OVERLOADED!

What people DO and what we should recommend is different.

We do not know his exact experience, what precautions he may take like upgrading tires to some that can handle the load. Stock tires are matched for ride comfort and can NOT handle that kind of load. A 3500 has tires matched for the load. He is planning to carry his family in this vehicle and I can NOT recommend for him to do so.

The post showing a 2500 towing the 3 axle toy hauler is, by my best GUESS, OVERLOADED! His experience and upgrades (hopefully tires among other stuff) MAY make his rig safe for him to tow it. I do not know the numbers of his pin weight, trailer weight, truck weight, GVWR, GCWR, GAWR for the rear axle, or if he upgraded tires to safely carry that trailer.

A bigger truck won't hurt him, a too small of a truck can KILL him, his family OR my family if we encounter him and he has a failure from exceeding the limits of a truck. What we do is one thing, taking our chances based on our knowledge and experience. We should not recommend to someone coming here for advice to exceed limits right away.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My kids SRW 2013 3500 Laramie crew cab 4X4 SB diesel aisin has a GVWR of 11700lbs and his truck weighs in around 8500lbs with B&W hitch, headache rack and toolbox, less the Backwoods bumpers that are still sitting on the ground.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
My kids SRW 2013 3500 Laramie crew cab 4X4 SB diesel aisin has a GVWR of 11700lbs and his truck weighs in around 8500lbs with B&W hitch, headache rack and toolbox, less the Backwoods bumpers that are still sitting on the ground.
That leaves just 3200# for passengers and trailer pin weight since hitch is included. Close, but may work if he picks a trailer that has a lighter pin weight.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The biggest concern obviously besides being able to stop it safely is insurance. You give the insurance company a reason NOT to pay up when you have an accident and they will grab it and run.

If you are towing above the specs, that is all the excuse they need to deny a claim.....just one more thing to consider...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I had an 03 stick SRW 3500 and a 30' toyhauler 5th wheel. Probably around 1900 pin weight.

Towed it fine, but I realized I could get a big 5er in the places I had been going, so I bought my 06 dually stick.

I towed the same 30' unit before I found my 40'.

I gotta say, the SRW towed the 30' fine and was within limits and safe, but with the DRW and the same trailer I'd get to the camp sight fresher and ready to unload and go ride. Before, I'd be kind of fatigued.

The dually is just more planted and more relaxing when towing, especially on narrow curvy mountain roads.

I don't own another truck or car (though I travel by motorcycle a lot in the summer) and getting used to the width of the dually was easier than I thought.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 AM

Srw

Ive been pulling a 5th for many years. Im on my 2nd SRW. 1st was 2500 2nd is Laramie 3500. SRW is just fine actually the SRW has a rating HIGHER then the Dually due 2 less Tires! 410 gears are best for towing a ratio just under that would be best for all around towing/non towing.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
The biggest concern obviously besides being able to stop it safely is insurance. You give the insurance company a reason NOT to pay up when you have an accident and they will grab it and run.

If you are towing above the specs, that is all the excuse they need to deny a claim.....just one more thing to consider...
These weights that are on the vehicles are changable. At least they are here in the state of washington. I purchased a dodge 2007 srw 3500. The previous owner went to the dept. of licensing and registered the truck with a 26000 gvw because they toyed huge gooseneck trailers. When i bought the truck and registered it in my name they asked if i wanted to keep the current 26k gvw or register it as the stock gvw.

So, knowing that, i dont pay much attention at all to those numbers knowing that for a small fee they can change it.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by lyrikz
These weights that are on the vehicles are changable. At least they are here in the state of washington. I purchased a dodge 2007 srw 3500. The previous owner went to the dept. of licensing and registered the truck with a 26000 gvw because they toyed huge gooseneck trailers. When i bought the truck and registered it in my name they asked if i wanted to keep the current 26k gvw or register it as the stock gvw.

So, knowing that, i dont pay much attention at all to those numbers knowing that for a small fee they can change it.
26,000lbs on only 4 LT17, 18 inch tires even 19.5's is absolutely amazing.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
26,000lbs on only 4 LT17, 18 inch tires even 19.5's is absolutely amazing.
Tell me about it. They had 35" tires on 20" rockstar rims. Ther 35" tire was i believe an 8ply. Maybe 10 ply. They towed everywhere with it.

Im ditching the 20"rockstars for 19.5 currently.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

This has never happened.
Been argued ad naseum forever on RV forums.
Talk to any insurance agent, and look at your policy.

Consider this:
I can drive drunk (potential felony), at 120 mph (felony), pass out, plow into a crowd of people and kill someone (felony manslaughter 1 at least).
Even in cases like this - triple felonies - my insurance company can't simply deny a claim. They pay out to the policy limits.

Of course, I'll be in prison, and rightly so.

Civil liability is another matter entirely.
But thanks to Lexis Nexus, we can easily search lawsuits.
So the challenge that has never been met is - prove that this has ever happened in a civil, non-commercial case.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM

The way I look at it; the occasional trip with camper in tow and family on board, with a well maintained SRW truck and trailer. (including GOOD appropriately rated tires) should be fine.
But, if the trailer is pushing the limits of the truck, I would be concerned. I have spent MANY miles pulling trailers, and most of them hauling livestock. I would hate to blow a rear tire on a SRW or even a front on any truck. I have always used a dually to tow, and kept good tires on the trucks and have not had a blow out yet. I do have a 3/4T now and only pull a small 12' enclosed trailer, but still keep good tires on both.
I know some people push the limit, but if it was my family's safety, I would go with a Dually,( with trailer your thinking of), and a diesel, because of fuel economy, durability, and resale value.
I once made the mistake of buying a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 with a Gas 5.9.(because it was electric blue and looked awesome). First time I hooked a trailer to it, I had to pull into every gas station I passed, i then promptly put it up for sale. And no one would touch it. Ended up selling it for a big discount and bought a 97 Dodge Cummins Dually and loved it.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Recs needed on SRW or DRW for 5th wheel towing