Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Re-doing my Bed Camper and making a toyhauler

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny D
your as bad as me, cant leave well enuff alone haha thats awosme man cant wait to see it all done.

Do you plan on keeping shocks on the traielr?? Did you notice a difrence in the pull home with it having shocks on it??
not sure on shocks yet..

trailer did tow home very well and was smooth.. I think I am gonna take the shocks off to start and see how it tows and then if rougher then I remember I may add them back on.(well new ones)
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A side note on shocks...

I am running them on my trailer. When empty, they are hardly worth mentioning. Loaded, it is a different story. There is a considerable difference in ride quality. They are worth it. I am using Monroe medium duty trailer shocks which fit the bill perfectly.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM

Ken, are you gonna be around this week end? I would like to come see what you are doing. That trailer looks interesting to say the least!!! Let me know.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by AUGIE DOG
Ken, are you gonna be around this week end? I would like to come see what you are doing. That trailer looks interesting to say the least!!! Let me know.
I hope to be working on it most of the day saturday.

call me tonight after 6pm.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:53 PM

well been getting very dirty last few nights..

I added a bunch of cross braces to frame, used wire wheel to clean the heavy rust of trailer ( just nasty ).

then I got the deck area that will go under camper all fitted and welded on.

I also cleaned up gooseneck, so now I can get the neck braces all welded on. then I will cut off the old bent c channel on top of neck and replace with 1/4" wall steel.

I also put fenders in place just to see how they look

Here are some pics.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 PM

well got a little more done tonight..

fyi.. I hate cut off wheels. I am now buying a plasma for myself for x-mas

I got bottom support welded on under front area of trailer

it took me 30 mins to cut this angle piece with a cut off..

but atleast I got one side cut and welded in.. will cut the other pieces tomorrow at friends with plasma

Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Chapter President

Looks Like it is really coming along!!!!

I agree, nothing like a plasma. That's the beauty of them... The Gift of time!

I am watching this build very closely.

Keep Up The Good Work!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:59 PM

well only had about 1 hr tonight in shop..

got other side neck brace in and one bottom brace in also.
then I took off rims and tires and loaded them into truck..
I order 6 new Maxxis trailer tires.. hope to have the rims and tires back sat if the tires come in.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 PM

Interesting project. A few years ago I also built a homemade toy hauler. I can post a link if you’re interested. I have to comment on the statement of the cut off wheels. Just for info, I have these types of metal cutting tools. Oxy/Acc, Plasma, 3 different kinds of band saws, shear (sheet metal), and a tool called a metabo. (That is what we call it around here) If you are using the cut-off wheel in a tool designed for cutting wood, then I agree with you. If the correct wheel is in a tool designed for metal cutting, like the metabo, than I totally disagree. Out of all the tools I have that cut metal, I would buy the metabo first. It sort of looks like the side grinder that is on your trailer. But it is designed only for cutting, not grinding. It cost about $230 instead of $80 like the grinder. A box of 50 blades cost around $70-$80. I am not sure of the thickness of the plate you are cutting. It looks like around 1/8". I would use my Metabo before I would use my plasma. $300 is allot cheaper than $1400, and I prefer it on 3/16" and thinner.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 PM

ya if you have link post it.. I always like seeing other builds for ideas.

as for steel it is all 1/4"

do you have a link to "metabo"
Old 10-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BRUISER

do you have a link to "metabo"
http://www.metabo.us/

The welding supply company I work for sells Metabo tools and abrasives so I'm somewhat familiar with the brand. They are expensive but very well made and powerful.

I think Prostar 190 is referring to an angle grinder - but "Metabo" is easier to say than "winkleschliefer" ("angle grinder" in German). The Metabo tools come in boxes printed in 5 languages...
Old 10-03-2009, 12:54 AM

Let me first say that I am strictly a hobbyist. I do not do metal work for a living. What I say is only my opinion. It is an opinion of a person who uses his tools often.
I have 5 side grinders. They all have their purpose. Let me say that I would never use the Metabo that I have for a side grinder. I never have and never will. I can buy a very good quality side grinder of this size for under $100. The Metabo is designed for cutting. Yes, it is also a $230 grinder. I personally know of about 20 people with one, and have never seen anyone using it for a grinder. I require a lever trigger on my side grinder, which you get with the $100 grinder. And I require an on off switch for my cutter which is on the Metabo. The Metabo also has a clutch, which is required on the cutter but not the grinder, which is my requirement. Can you put a cutting disk on the $100 grinder, yes, but I would not. Too dangerous, without the auto clutch.
FYI, the best bang for the buck on blades for the Metabo is the “Slicer-Plus”.
It is by far the best purchase I have made in a metal cutting tool. Don’t get me wrong; I would not get rid of any that I have. They all shine in there on way. But the first metal cutting tool I would buy, would be the Metabo. Sencond would be a 1 inch blade horizontal band saw (9x16) which is my second favorite metal cutting tool. I have done many many projects in the last 5 years, and I have only turned on the plasma about 2 times in that time period. If I had a track system for the plasma, I would use it more. Usually I have to grind the plasma cut for a professional look. I have to cut outside the line and grind down to the line, which is extra work. The cut I get with the Metabo looks professional with no grinding.
As you can tell in these links, I do not like sloppy cuts and welds.
On the first link you have to go to the second page in the forum to see the finished project of the home made toy hauler.
The second link is a project I just finished on the camper I have now.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/18689354.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...g/1/page/1.cfm
Old 10-03-2009, 03:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is absolutely INCREDIBLE !!!!

I will be following this one closely. I haven't done this kind of work since I was younger working for my folks, so I'm enjoying it.

Kris
Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Well today I got all neck bracing DONE

and then wire wheeled the old rims and got them mounted on trailer also.
I then cut out all rear braces and re welded them back in space correctly and lower so I can install a wood deck on rear area.

Of course I ran out of welding wire so I need to go get some tomorrow.

But if all goes well I hope to be painting it tomorrow(supposed to be nice)

oh and I need to either get sponsored by MAXXIS or buy some of there stock. I have now bought 11 trailer tires in 3 years :0

Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 PM

more pics

Quick Reply: Re-doing my Bed Camper and making a toyhauler