Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

R V Roadside Service?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R V Roadside Service?

Any of you guys have it? If so which one and do you like it?
Never really considered it before but now my rig's getting older and got the new bigger fiver it has started to concern me as we will be heading to the Oregon Coast in a month.
I understand it can be very costly to have a rig towed if something happens.
I got a offer in the mail today from Camping World to join for $80. free towing, flat fix etc etc, I'm very tempted to try it, what do you think? ???
Old 08-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: R V Roadside Service?

You have brought up a good point Chuck. My Dad has had AAA for years and thought that his roadside assistance plan covered everything, but then found out that it only covered the truck if it broke down. They would not pay for towing the 5er. He has since joined the Good Sam's Club. We had our daughter, (who works at a insurance company) find a policy that also had provisions for the tow vehicle and rig. Our policy covers towing and a place to put the 5er until repairs are finished, even lodging should the 5er need repair.
It is something that definitely needs close attention before you need it.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:41 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The Good Sam protection seems to be the most complete and comprehensive. They will tow both the truck and trailer and pay some extra expenses, etc. It is much more geared to the RV'er than the normal policies. All the reports I have read from the GS members who have used it have raved about it. Sooooo, we have it - - not had to use it, thank goodness, but nice to know it is there.

You can see more about it here:
www.rv.net
Old 08-04-2003, 08:26 PM

Thanks Dennis, I was thinking of calling AAA tomorrow for a quote. Bob I have gotten so many Good Sams in the mail and just tore one up and threw it away a couple weeks ago, I wish I had read it now, may have to call them. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:38 PM
DPG

Good Sam ERS is wonderful! $99.95 per year, and it covers ALL of your vehicles: cars, trucks, RVs, etc. If you have a dead battery, they send somebody out to jump you free. Out of gas (or fuel) send somebody with 5 gals. of fuel:free. Don't even have to pay for the fuel. Lock yourself out. Send somebody to unlock for you: free. Flat tire, same story. Anybody in your household is covered, kids, parents, anybody that lives under your roof. Have a breakdown, they tow your tow vehicle AND RV. We've had it for several years and have used it several times. Wouldn't be without it. My regular vehicle insurance charges $50.00 extra for towing insurance. So I canceled that and get the Good Sam ERS for a net cost of $50.00. You have to be a Good Sam member to get it, and that's another $25 per year if you don't already belong. But, it's the best insurance deal I've ever found.
End of sermon, pass the collection plate!

DeWain
Old 08-07-2003, 07:37 AM

[quote author=CHUCK3 link=board=11;threadid=17961;start=0#msg168116 date=1060036894]

Never really considered it before but now my rig's getting older [/quote]

Whaddya mean, older??? It's only a 2k. Why, you've just barely got it broken in....... Jeeze, some people!!!!! 8) 8). Chuck, how do you like your Cougar??

~Dave
Old 08-07-2003, 01:58 PM

[quote author=NWDave link=board=11;threadid=17961;start=0#msg169368 date=1060259845]
[
Whaddya mean, older??? It's only a 2k. Why, you've just barely got it broken in....... Jeeze, some people!!!!! 8) 8). Chuck, how do you like your Cougar??

~Dave
[/quote]

Dave I really like it, tows great and not that heavy for the size. Took it to Yellowstone a few weeks ago was sure nicer than the old one. The extra room of the slide out is wonderful, can't believe the difference it makes.
I know its not that old but I usually don't hold on to them too long, butthis will be an exception I belive, have too much invested to sell it now.
One thing I noticed on the steep grades the brakes could use some help ( the 3rd lockup won't hold it back like on the other TT) so next week we will have a Pac Break put on this Bad Boy.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:02 PM
ed

I had AAA for years and the only time I needed to use it was in Austin, Texas about 5 years ago to change a flat on my suburban and they said they would be there within 30 minutes. I waited an hour and it started to get dark and called again and twice more and they said it would be the next morning before they could get there. I had to change the tire myself in the dark and was not happy. They offered no apology or anything else. Needless to say I am not a fan or customer of AAA. I have camping world's road service and recently got stuck in my own back yard after 14" of rain in June and they had a wrecker there in 20 minutes after I called and pulled my diesel and 5th wheel out. It paid for itself several times over for this one call. I paid $79.95 for a year.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:43 PM

Lots of discussions on this topic on the www.rv.net forums. People are generally very happy with the Good Sam coverage--some with AAA not so happy. We have tow insurance through our insurance company, but they will only tow trailer if it is damaged or in a spot not deemed safe to park it if they must tow our truck. We will switch before any out-of-state trips. It is currently $79.95. You can make up the membership cost in campground savings if you used Good Sam parks.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:55 PM

I went ahead and signed up for the Good Sam ERS, for $79.95 I didn't figure I could go wrong, even if I don't use it its worth that for the peace of mind INO.