Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Picking up a 2005 Thor Wanderer 275 WTB 5-er

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up a 2005 Thor Wanderer 275 WTB 5-er

After being prompted by the wife that we needed a larger TH during our Memorial Day trip, I set my sights out almost right away to find a new unit while I'm off from work having contractors install new sheet rock and insulation in the garage and carpet padding in 4 rooms up stairs after having a huge water break in my up stairs bathroom!!!! (That's another whole story) Any who; to be honest, we actually have out grown our Rampage 21'TH. So we set our sights out for a 5-er in the 30-33' range, but everything we looked at in the 30-33' range had nose bleed prices $35-51k, so I searched quite a bit on the net and found a New 2005 Thor 27' 5-er. Which is actually where I should have been looking first. It has plenty of room for the kids and when me and momma go to bed we can get a bit more cosy being up front behind closed doors. I'm not new to towing, but I am new to the 5th wheel part of the house and need some tips from those of you who have experience with 5-ers on PDI (what to look for and basic operating tips. My plan is to hitch up my old unit (trade in) Wednesday morning (5am) so I can get there early to have the hitch installed and do a good inspection before I sign any papers or leave the lot. (lessons learned from my last purchase) From my home in Port Orchard, WA to Portland OR (roughly 3hrs or so) to take delivery of the new unit. Oh, I forgot to mention yes we did see the unit in person on Saturday. My next question for you guy's who have experience with Thor products, how would you rate their quality and your overall satisfaction?
Thanks for any input you guy's can provide. Oh yeah, I went to this new web site called toyhauler magazine http://www.toyhaulermagazine.com/ and asked basically the same questions only to be still left hanging w/no replies.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 AM

I haven't heard anything bad about the Thor's which is ususaly a good sign
I would be very cautious about if you were looking at Fleetwood Gearbox, They are having some serious problems, related thread The forum that thread is in is very large, if you post there you should get some knowlegable replies
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Thanks
I've searched (google) high and low for reviews of the Thor line, usually only to come up short. I looked right past and over the FW GearBox units when making my selection . When I started looking I really wanted to have the fiberglass sided unit (looks better ), but I could not find one in my price range or size. (Skyline Rampage, Weekend Warrior and the Thor Vortex) Plus, the wife was set on not spending over or near 30k. (she had to remind me I was'nt the big baller, I was trying to be) Most of which, the units we looked at in the 30-33' range were well into the mid to high 30's. I'm itching to go pick it up tomorrow. But, I need to be ready to turn and walk away if I feel or notice something is wrong with that unit.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:11 AM

My aerolite is made by thor, no complaints. We were looking at a gearbox as an upgrade, until I looked underneath at the very rusted frame.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that one Thor product is not necessarily comparable to another Thor product. Thor Industries owns Aerolite, Airstream, CrossRoads, Dutchmen, Four Winds, Keystone, Komfort, Mandalay, plus the Thor branded products, and more. If you own a Cougar, a Laredo, an Everest, a Mountaineer, a North Shore, an Adirondack, a Paradise Point, a Cruiser, a Chateau, a Tahoe, a Wanderer, a Jazz (you get my point), you own a Thor Industries product.

Like other companies, Thor Industries bought up a bunch of smaller RV manufacturers, but each plant, brand and manufacturer can vary significantly in quality. On another forum, I recently heard a member bashing all Thor products only to read in his signature that he owned a new Laredo, which is manufactured by Keystone, who is owned by Thor. Go figure.

Anyway, I did have a point. We used to own a Komfort TT which is a Thor product, and for the price, it was a pretty well built unit. Unfortunately, I don't think you can tell from a Komfort what kind of quality a different Thor product would be because they own so many different manufacturers. I would strictly look for feedback from other Thor California RV owners to see what they think about the quality. It will be more representative of the unit you are considering.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM

I have an '03 Wanderer which for the most part has been ok. I have had to fix several small things, and have up-graded many others. You will find many that many shortcuts have been made in manufacturing.

My opinion on Thor California is that they do not stand behind their product, and the service after the sale is horrible. Plan on fixing everthing yourself or not having your rig for two months at a time for warranty work.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks for all the great replies.

hotrod67
JFYI, the gear box units are having major problems with delamination on the fiberglass units and have yet to figure out a fix for the problem. (I'd consider the aluminum sided unit) From what I'm told they have been trying to out source the repairs as the RV shops don't seem to be able to resolve the problems.