Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   Overlength in Texas (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/overlength-texas-288690/)

jump 04-17-2011 06:25 PM

Overlength in Texas

Got an overlength ticket a couple weeks ago in Brenham. 2011 Dodge 4-door and a Take Three 53ft car-haul trailer. Showed the deputy what I had printed out from TxDot (commercial truck and carhaul trailer, unlimited with trailer under 59ft) but he still ticketed me. I called TxDot last week and talked to a supervisor in Austin. He agreed with me but said they had worded the specs wrong....checked a couple of days ago and, sure enough, it had been changed. Anyway, I just wanted any hotshoters to know that a 53ft trailer and a four door truck is gonna be illegal. EXCEPT....if you take the bed off your truck. Then it is a tractor and can pull a trailer up to 59ft. Why my truck is safer without a bed is beyond me. Bureaucrats on parade! If you want to check....http://www.txdot.gov/business/motor_...ght_limits.htm

sr4440 04-18-2011 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well that not good, my trailer a 53 footer.

Attachment 63700

so, how much was the fine?

Joe

haulin-rv 04-18-2011 05:09 PM

I called 2 1/2 years ago before I ventured in, the wording was a bit misleading.

Put rv plates on it, play the game....

haulin-rv 04-18-2011 05:14 PM

Guess that won't work....

Combinations such as truck, travel trailer & boat or motor home, boat and towing a car 65' max too

jump 04-18-2011 10:35 PM

Nothing so far...I'm fighting it. They offered to settle for a hundred bucks (down from $155.) But I told em I wanted a jury trial!...that torqued the prosecutor

chaikwa 04-19-2011 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by jump (Post 2957412)
I told em I wanted a jury trial!...that torqued the prosecutor

I BET it did! [laugh]

All they REALLY want from you is the fee for the over-length permit. Look into it, I'm sure there is one. That's probably why they changed the law to dis-allow length over 65 feet.

RAMRODD 04-19-2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by jump (Post 2957412)
Nothing so far...I'm fighting it. They offered to settle for a hundred bucks (down from $155.) But I told em I wanted a jury trial!...that torqued the prosecutor

That is good for texas make them spend a few grand trying to make a $155[laugh]

If you remove your box then your legal, The Stupidity [dummy]

haulin-rv 04-19-2011 03:32 PM

No annual permit like Florida offers. Oh and in Florida even with a permit you can NOT over hang the rear of the trailer at all. But if you remove the bed your considered a tractor and you can over hangup to 6 feet.

tejas transport 04-19-2011 08:59 PM

For us hot shotters its a 65ft limit. With a 40ft. gooseneck and a CC dually Im just under 65ft. With a replacement bumper Im over. My next gn will be a 38 footer. I gotta a have a replacement bumper.....to many deer.

Of course these rules were made back when most hot shot trucks were single cabs and crew cabs weren't around.

jump 06-05-2011 09:40 AM

Well, I lost. The judge wouldn't allow me to show the jury the TxDot printout. Not sure why. Maybe Washington county really needs the money. Fine and court costs are $216. Unless I appeal...and I might. I've always been a little stubborn.

chaikwa 06-05-2011 11:34 AM

Well that stinks. :(

If you have the time and money to appeal, I sure would. I HATE these kind of things. It's all about semantics and how much money can be generated for the state.

I'd also bring up the point that if your being over-length is so unsafe, why did they let you go after issuing a fine?

How far over length are you?

jump 06-12-2011 08:34 AM

I don't think the money would be too much but I've already spent too much time on it. Brenham is about an hour and half away so it costs me two full days. Anyhow, there's easy ways to go around Washington county. What someone said about taking the bed off my truck to be legal seems to be correct. Unless you get a ticket. Then it's up to the officer's buddy...the judge. Taking the bed off would make my truck soooo much safer (rolls eyes). I'll leave mine on until I get the next ticket. I've been stopped and DOT'ed many times without ever being measured...except once.

jump 06-12-2011 08:43 AM

Sorry, Chaikwa, I forgot to answer your question. I am 68ft, 3 over. I drive a 2011 dodge 4 door and pull a 53ft trailer. I could get a 50ft trailer but then I would hardly ever be able to haul 4 cars. I'm looking into the possiblity of getting a shorter trailer with a front car lift. Those aren't cheap, though...and look to be a lot more trouble.

2006Mega 06-13-2011 08:13 PM

make sure that by removing your bed you don't change your insurance rates. by removing your bed the DOT would then consider you a tractor, not a pickup which would most likely change your rates.

chaikwa 06-13-2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by jump (Post 2979779)
Sorry, Chaikwa, I forgot to answer your question. I am 68ft, 3 over.

That's what my truck/trailer combo is too. It ought to be interesting this fall when we take the trip to New England.