Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Towing and Hauling / RV (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/)
-   -   overheating while backing (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/towing-hauling-rv-95/overheating-while-backing-195533/)

herb 03-06-2008 06:01 AM

overheating while backing

Anyone ever expeirence overheating while backing trailer? yesterday while backing my 53' gooseneck trailer (in muddy terrain) in 4 wheel drive, the engine temp went up to 250 and engine temp light came on ?
Wasn't pushing it or spinning wheels? cooled right down as soon as i was done---coolent levels ok
should we be using 4 wheel or 4 wheel lo ?

CarlJensen 03-06-2008 07:26 AM

Any auto will overheat while backing. No airflow over the cooler and working it harder not locked. Lots of heat from fluid shear. I put a 10 inch Derale fan in front of my cooler that I control from the cab. Turn it on while backing and in traffic while towing. Helps a lot.

Hvytrkmech 03-06-2008 07:26 AM

My tranny temp goes to 250 when backing my 5ver up my driveway, but my engine coolant temp stays pretty steady at 190-210, never any more than 210*.

The torque converter has to work twice as hard in reverse than it does in drive, thus the extra heat.

Tim

HOHN 03-06-2008 07:29 AM

Herb, the engine is overheating when you back up because the fan is trying to push air out the front of the truck.

Since the engine is turning the opposite direction, I'd also assume that the coolant flow is not optimized, allowing the heads to get too hot.

Maybe they can come up with a way to keep the engine spinning the same direction all the time someday?

;)

vzdude 03-06-2008 07:49 AM

^ Now that's just gonna get more than a few people confused! ^

RowJ 03-06-2008 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by herb (Post 1982071)
... yesterday while backing my 53' gooseneck trailer (in muddy terrain) in 4 wheel drive, the engine temp went up to 250 should we be using 4 wheel or 4 wheel lo ?

I've seen 250* on tranny... don't remember a serious problem with engine coolant??

4Low is good...if you can use it. When I had problem it was a 9000 lb camper, backing up a long uphill gravel drive. 4Low had too much torque and any throttle would just spin wheels!

RJ

klx650a2 03-06-2008 08:42 AM

"Maybe they can come up with a way to keep the engine spinning the same direction all the time someday?"

Now THAT was funny!!!!!![laugh]

hamilton71801 03-06-2008 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN (Post 1982149)
Herb, the engine is overheating when you back up because the fan is trying to push air out the front of the truck.

Since the engine is turning the opposite direction, I'd also assume that the coolant flow is not optimized, allowing the heads to get too hot.

Maybe they can come up with a way to keep the engine spinning the same direction all the time someday?

;)

I glanced over this real quick and then had to re-read it.[dummy] Pretty good.

RAMRODD 03-06-2008 10:32 AM

put it in low range, Problum solved [coffee]

Lenn 03-06-2008 11:59 AM

;)

Are you saying when you back up your truck the engine reverses rotation.

cincydiesel 03-06-2008 12:08 PM

;)

That sounds like something HOSS would say.

herb 03-06-2008 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel (Post 1982504)
That sounds like something HOSS would say.

would that be the same Hoss that put poured concrete in his truck box for weight ? [coffee]

BarryG 03-06-2008 02:34 PM

Got to go with the 4low answer here too. If you can use that. I put a 2 low kit on my truck several years ago for the same problem and it totally cured it. I dont think there is 2 low kit for your year though but am unsure of about that.

cincydiesel 03-06-2008 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by herb (Post 1982560)
would that be the same Hoss that put poured concrete in his truck box for weight ? [coffee]

That be the one!! Ask him about the time the couple tried to carjack him. Thats a great story.

johnh 03-06-2008 06:16 PM

;)

you're joking? right?