Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Opinion On Rear Kitchen RV

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my eye on a new 32' 2007 Forest River CC for some time it has rear kitchen have had some say that there is to much bounce on dishes and appliances. What are your opinion or experience. Have got 2005 29' CC with center kitchen with rear entry witch is fine unless you company and you put out the hidea bed then you can't get by to get out door. Besides the lay out I am impressed with quality and love the fiberglass gel-coat exterior.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:06 AM

We have had our rear kitchen Crossroads Cruiser for 3 1/2 years now and have never had a problem with things moving around. We really like all the counter space it gives us. We have a coffee pot and a Coleman rechargeable lantern on the kitchen counter top and they never move while traveling.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:30 AM

We have a 28' Sportsman with a rear kitchen. We've never had our cabinets do the Fibber McGee's closet routine.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We love our rear kitchen Sunnybrook. My wife does alot of cooking and would not want give up any counter space. Our trailer has 2 gray tanks with the rear kitchen floorplan. Our gray tanks hold a combined 76 gallons vs. the normal 30-40 gallons in a single tank trailer.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Rear Kitchen

I tow on a lot of gravel and rougher roads. Every thing in the rear of the rv takes a beating. With the rear kitchen it was necessary to package dishes, food and utinsels in boxes to keep them from bouncing all over. My current trailer has a side kitchen and rear bath. The kitchen rides very nice and there is no problem with dishes or food needing to be packed in any special manor. However the medicine cabnet in the bathroom is a different story.

If you are going to stay on the paved roads it will be fine with the rear kitchen. If you are going to tow where it is rougher you will have to pack everything tight.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The rear of the RV moves a lot more than the center, it's simple geometry. The faster it moves, the more things there will be shaken up. That's why rough roads and sharp curves adversely affect rear kitchen rigs. Many folks find that properly storing and packing helps to minimize that problem. Take a few precautions and enjoy your RV.

Dan
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 AM

The biggest problem with a rear kitchen is that it takes a lot of weight off the tongue. If you're too light up front, you'll get more bounce. Be sure to keep that in mind when loading.

Of course, a good air-ride hitch helps a lot, too...
Old 12-21-2007, 11:41 AM

I pull a 270-RKS Ameri Camp Summit Ridge, rear kitchen 5er, we have had only one dish ever broken when pulling. I did not pack the dishes correctly that time and one bowl broke. We always place towels and paper towels in the cabinets when traviling. My DW would never give up the rear kitchen since this style of floor plan offers more counter space for coolking and prep work. She is the one I need to keep happy when the DW is happy we are all happy. I also belive that the rear kitchen models all have two gray water holding tanks thus less draining of the tanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:43 PM

I pull a 3650RK montana 37ft with a rear kitchen and I have never had any problems I also have 2 gray tanks but I pull with them empty if I can. bobby
Old 12-23-2007, 10:40 PM

We had a 27 ft. rear kitchen 5th wheel prior to our current unit. The only issues we found were that we needed to pack the heavier kitchen utensils on the lower shelves and the lighter ones up high. Wife loved the extra counter space, but we traded for the present three slide unit to allow for snowbirding in a few years.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:23 PM

I have a 29' rear kitchen and I pull mine to work in the Carson Natl Forrest on the forrest roads all the time and I have yet to break a dish and most everything is still right where I left it. I do like having th RK as it is out of the way. You will love that fiberglass exterior as mine gets filthy pulling those forrest roads and is real easy to clean her up when it is time.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:56 AM

With the 5er in my sig., we just put a pillow in the cabinet with the dishes and go. No problems. We do load the can goods up front under the bed to keep the proper weight on the hitch pin. We like the lay out of the RK for living in the RV and the extra gray tank for the kitchen is a blessing when dry camping.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:40 AM

I have several friends with Moryde on their rvs and they ride like a dream! One couple even leaves everything on the counters when they travel and it all stays there. I'd like to try a RK someday as long as the rv has better than spring/solid equalizer. My 5er bounces the rear recliners and slider sofa around. I plan on ordering the dexter rubber equalizers this week. Craig
Old 12-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The only drawback of the rear kitchen would or could be no view out back. Having said that, I had a 5er that had lots of windows in the rear and we realized that we are only sitting back there looking out when it was raining.
I have hauled several rear kitchen models and only had seen one that had damage. I am looking at a rear bunk unit next.

Scotty
Old 12-25-2007, 05:15 PM

We have a '91 Cobra by Sierra 30' 5th with a rear kitchen. Gotta love the counter space.
Only problem I had once was when I had to hit the binders really hard to stop for some twit who suddenly decided to stop and turn. The wife and I heard a crash - thought that maybe someone had rear-ended us. When we got to our next stop the wife cried out when she opened the door.... there was broken glass everywhere. We couldn't figure it out at first because all of the cupboard doors were closed... thought that maybe we left some dishes on the counter. Turns out a few of them pushed a door open and it slammed back shut after the stop - there was a dent in another door from the door handle....

I think that the next 5th might have a rear bedroom.... that is if I can find an Argosy (was made by Airstream) 5th again (missed the chance to buy it). I like solid aluminum even better than the gel coat trailers.

Quick Reply: Opinion On Rear Kitchen RV