Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

One problem after another - at 100,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One problem after another - at 100,000 miles

When I left for my vacation trip 3 weeks ago, I stopped in Bullhead City, AZ to have a new VP44 injector pump and a/c compressor installed on warranty. 1 1/2 days later, in northern California, I started losing fuel pressure and took it VERY easy into Medford, OR for a new lift pump. After jerking me around for 1 1/2 days of my vacation, the dealer there decided they couldn't put the upgraded lift pump on my aftermarket 64 gal tank and kicked me out. A local shop - Oregon Fuel Injection - bailed me out with a new lift pump and persuaded me to add a booster pump as well.....all for only $600.00. No warranty, of course, tho' mileage was still at just 98,500 or so. (I have the extended warranty)

OK, fine, that carried me for the next 2000 miles or so, and then, coming out of Port Alberni, B.C. a few days ago, the clutch started slipping. Stock clutch lasted 22,000 miles, when I replaced it with a South Bend Con 0. That lasted nearly 80,000 miles, so I didn't feel too bad. Called South Bend and they recommended going to a Con OFE. I said OK, and had it shipped to a friend in Port Angeles, WA. It arrived yesterday, I arrived today (driving VEry carefully) and dropped the truck off at a local diesel shop. Mileage now is 100,850.

They pulled the tranny today and found the flywheel to be trashed, the pilot bearing shot, and the transmission input shaft to be galled. OK, pull the tranny apart and order the input shaft and he found pieces of steel in the case. Turned out to be off the 2nd gear - 3/4 of one tooth is broken off. OK, order a gear, and bearings, just in case. Output seal in transfer case is leaking, so order that, too. I'd heard/felt noises in back when putting on the brakes, so checked that and found the rear brake shoes worn out. Order those. Oil all over inside of left rear wheel. Yup, oil seal shot on wheel, so replace that, too. Fuel pressure is too high, and a look under the hood showed a leaking fuel line where the rubber hose clamps to the metal line. Haven't had time yet to work on the high fuel pressure, tho' it was OK when I left Medford 2000 miles ago.

Mercy.........why am I feeling picked on ?? Looks like D/C did a terrific job of designing a 100,000 mile truck.

My buddy here has been around trucks all his long life, and says it's all because I've got power enhancements on the engine, and the drivetrain isn't designed for it. (mechanic at the diesel shop said the same thing) I said mine is mild compared to many that you guys drive. What do you all think ?? I'm carrying a 9'10" Lance camper and towing a 16' boat.

Lar.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:53 PM

I dont buy that your problems are caused by your mods. Although looking at your sig- you do run with quite a bit of weight for your 3.50 gears and manual trans...that may explain some of the clutch/trans issues. Some trucks last, some dont.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:16 PM

I have heard that the auto locking tailgates will push them past there limits.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, time for a new truck ??
Old 07-19-2006, 03:31 PM

In your shoes

i know how u feel i had alot of trouble around the same time with my truck. it is a 2000 sport and i put a tranny, vp44, lift pump both front wheel bearing and pretty much replaced the whole front end along with 4 sets of front brake pads between 100k and 133k and still getting it right with brake issues weighing on my mind right now. they just dont build them like they used to. my 93' ford has never given me this much trouble and its a gasser with over 300k
Old 07-19-2006, 05:07 PM

I don't know, it sounds like most of the issues are with things that really only last 100k miles, such as axle seals. If the rear brakes are the originals then thats a lot of miles, even for rear shoes. 80k miles on the clutch is pretty good considering the load and high gearing. Don't give up on her yet!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by biglar

My buddy here has been around trucks all his long life, and says it's all because I've got power enhancements on the engine, and the drivetrain isn't designed for it. (mechanic at the diesel shop said the same thing)
It wasn't Oregon Fuel Injection that told you the mods were causing the problems I hope.? They know better. They've taken pretty good care of my dad over the years..... now for the Cummins (NW) dealer across the street I have my own opinion on them!

I hope OFI set you up with a FASS or something similar for $600. If not I would make certain to stop and show them the leaky fittings and high fuel pressure on the way back down I-5.

Oh, and don't sweat it.... you should be good to go now for well over the next 100K, just remember to adjust the valves at 150K and keep close watch on your fuel pressure.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRod82
I dont buy that your problems are caused by your mods. Although looking at your sig- you do run with quite a bit of weight for your 3.50 gears and manual trans...that may explain some of the clutch/trans issues. Some trucks last, some dont.
He's right about the gears, the manual tranny is fine..

The problem is in the drive train. Your 19.5" wheels have changed your axle ratios from 3:54 to something like 3:10 or worse. Your overdrive ratio is way to tall for your set up. You've changed the trucks ability to pull through mechanical advantage. With you 275's and edge your truck is making around 650 ftlbs or torque or more. The limit on the NV5600 was stated to be 650ft/lbs. when they came out. Don't know what the after market clutch was rated at, but for sure you could blast the stock one with that set up and the gear ratio.

If your going to run the big tires you need to go at least to a 4:10 or maybe even a 4:30 axle ratio. There are a couple web sites that you can search to run the calculation for tire height and rear gearing.

Dave
Old 07-20-2006, 02:34 PM

Naw, it wasn't Oregon Fuel Injection that told me that, it was the local shop. OFJ did caution me to limit the boost at lower rpm's tho'. Told me not to go over 1 pound of boost per 100 rpm, so, at say, 1600 rpm on a hill, don't push the loud pedal any more than to give 16 psi of boost. It's not clear just what caused the broken gear tooth, but certainly the torque ate the clutch, even tho' I think I have good habits. Torque prob'ly chewed up the input shaft and pilot bearing, too. In the future, I'll gear down to keep my rpm's higher when pulling hard on hills. I think I'm very fortunate that the broken tooth piece went outwards when it broke. If that chunk had been sucked into the gears it would've made a heck of a mess. 80,000 miles is fine on the clutch - I don't have a problem with that. Same on the rear brakes. This is the 1st set I've put in, so no complaints there, either. Seals eventually leak, so that, too. Thing that hurts me, is all this in 1 trip. Something like $4000.00 so far, in addition to $1000.00 in ferry fares in B.C., and 2000 miles of $4.00 a gallon diesel in Canada. This has become a VEry expensive vacation. I'm supposed to be back at work in Palm Springs on Monday, and still waiting for parts. Hmmmm........??

Lar.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 PM

Just an update.......the truck was finished at 1:30 PM Friday, and I hit the road in Port Angeles, WA. 8 hrs Friday, 12 hours Saturday, and 5½ hours today put me in Palm Springs, CA. in time to go to work tomorrow. Cruising speed, towing the boat, around 60 - 65 mph. Looks like those guys did good work. Everything is smooth and solid. Old clutch was a South Bend Con 0, if I remember right, and the new one is a Con 0Fe, rated for 1,000 lb torque. Hadta learn a bit of new driving habits - the new clutch takes hold "with authority," and if I get a little frisky the truck plays trampoline. I paid close attention to rpm's/boost, and geared down frequently where before I would've powered thru in 6th. Seems to be much easier on everything, and I still averaged 12.5 mpg for the trip.

Thanks all for your comments and advice.

Lar.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:42 PM

Forgot to mention - PDQ Automotive in Port Angeles works with Oregon F.I. quite a bit, and called them about my fuel pressure problem. They did several checks OFI recommended, but nothing worked, and I still had a measured 37 psi fuel pressure when I hit the road. Dropped to 25 psi by central WA, and 20 psi in CA. All the way down I-5 today, it was solid on 18 psi where it belongs. Something somewhere must've scared it into proper operation. Hope it stays there.

Lar.