Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Onan 5500 Marquis Gold wont start

Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onan 5500 Marquis Gold wont start

Just wanted to help others that might face this dilemma. Mine would crank over but not start, leading me to believe it is a fuel or spark issue. So after some searching on the internet I tested the spark, it worked. So that left fuel issue. Turns out my fuel pump is toast. I learned that there is a code test that can be performed at the Gen set Start/stop switch itself. The start/stop/prime switch. You push the stop prime switch 3 times within 5 sec, and the lights will flash 3 times then pause and flash 3 more times, at that point push the switch 1 more time and the codes will appear in flashes, ie flash flash flash then a pause then flash flash flash flash flash flash. You just count the flashes. As above it corresponds to 36, which is fuel pump. There can be more than 1 code stored so you have to keep an eye on the light. After it runs thru the code or all the codes it starts over from the beginning. Just press the switch 1 more time to exit the test. I also tested the theory by taking the fuel lines apart and primed system, into a water bottle, no fuel. I wish I had a list of codes to share, they might be out there somewhere though. After you get your code just do a quick internet search, like "onan 5500 code 36" for results. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Excellent info - - I will have to try it on my propane fueled 6500 and see what happens. Thanks.

Bob
Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM

My pleasure Sir, I found a new pump for $89. Most were running around $145. It will be easy to access for R&R just waiting for it to get here. I'm told these carbs are extremely finicky and cost $238 for replacement. They can be torn down somewhat and cleaned but doesn't always work when they are varnished up real bad. As it was told to me, a couple of bucks for a can of carb cleaner or 2 and some elbow grease is better than paying $238. I have cleaned my carb already, it wasn't in to bad a shape, since gen only has 45 hrs of use so far. Best to you .
Old 11-17-2013, 09:40 PM

Update

New pump in and it all works as advertised. Even changed the oil.