Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Hydraulic Activated Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydraulic Activated Trailer Brake Controller

About to plumb up the brakes in my old 1977 Ford and was thinking about adding a old style Hydraulic activated brake controller, yes the kind that is mounted in the cab with a hydraulic brake line going to it.

What are peoples experience with these? Are they better than say a P3? I was thinking it would have almost perfect proportion to the vehicle braking.

Looking at a couple NOS ones on eBay.

Thanks,
Tobin
Old 07-29-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I installed one on my 93. I made a mount that holds it within arms reach so it can be manually operated. That works both ways. I can brake just the trailer, (to test, for instance) and also easily counter the trailer braking. (backing an empty boat trailer for instance)

They are good for 2 axles. When I pull a double, the third axle is driven by an emitter follower amplifier off the brake signal. That amplifier is mounted in the first trailer (fiver)

It is smooth and reliable. It is not dependent on grade, so I don't have to worry about it acting goofy in the mountains. Adjustment for different trailers is a simple twist of the control ****.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
I installed one on my 93. I made a mount that holds it within arms reach so it can be manually operated. That works both ways. I can brake just the trailer, (to test, for instance) and also easily counter the trailer braking. (backing an empty boat trailer for instance)

They are good for 2 axles. When I pull a double, the third axle is driven by an emitter follower amplifier off the brake signal. That amplifier is mounted in the first trailer (fiver)

It is smooth and reliable. It is not dependent on grade, so I don't have to worry about it acting goofy in the mountains. Adjustment for different trailers is a simple twist of the control ****.
What one do you have? I am really thinking of going this route since they seem to be much more proportional to the truck braking compared to anything on the market now.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Man, I don't know what I'll do when my Brakesmart has to be replaced. They, and Maxbrake used a solid state pressure transducer and were awesome, but neither is made anymore.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Man, I don't know what I'll do when my Brakesmart has to be replaced. They, and Maxbrake used a solid state pressure transducer and were awesome, but neither is made anymore.
I have been looking for one of those too. I heard they are the ticket. The next best thing is the hydraulic actuated type. I have a P3 and it works ok, but not as good as what I think it should.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a regular one, too. When I bought it I wasn't up to speed and didn't understand why someone would pay hundreds for a brake controller. Worked ok, but too much braking at low speeds around town and too little st high speed, herky jerky on bumpy roads.

Then I got a Brakesmart and I was absolutely shocked. Seamless braking in any condition, and the amount of braking seemed directly and instantly linked to how much pressure you put on the pedal.

I had no idea electric drums could be so smooth and effective. Truck and trailer stop as one unit, and work together as easily as the truck's front and rear brakes do when not towing.

I sure wish someone else would market a pressure sensing brake controller with an electronic transducer that doesn't displace fluid.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Years ago, when I installed my Maxbrake, I did a little research. The transducer they use is Honeywell # MLH01KPSB21A, which is still available.
John
Old 08-07-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Tobin
What one do you have? I am really thinking of going this route since they seem to be much more proportional to the truck braking compared to anything on the market now.
Kelsey 81740B Any of them will work. The later ones have more protected *****, and probably smaller pistons.

They're good for 2 axles. Any more need a slave amplifier.

It's a crying shame how the new guys on the block with a highly functioning controller were driven out by marketing tactics.

Someone on here should be able to figure out an arduino setup with the pressure transducer.

The inertia setups all have a brake light switch pre-charge that can lock up the trailer brakes on ice before you even have any pressure on the tow car brakes. My son launched a tool trailer into oncoming traffic that way. Wrecked the day for a couple of people.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Kelsey 81740B Any of them will work. The later ones have more protected *****, and probably smaller pistons.

They're good for 2 axles. Any more need a slave amplifier.

It's a crying shame how the new guys on the block with a highly functioning controller were driven out by marketing tactics.

Someone on here should be able to figure out an arduino setup with the pressure transducer.

The inertia setups all have a brake light switch pre-charge that can lock up the trailer brakes on ice before you even have any pressure on the tow car brakes. My son launched a tool trailer into oncoming traffic that way. Wrecked the day for a couple of people.
Well, I just scored a brand new in box KH 81740C off eBay. It is 100% new untouched. I can't believe it. I also found a 81740B that I bought with the adjustable resistor for a friend of mine. He is moving to Idaho and I really don't trust any of the newer style controllers with his truck. I really think this is the way to go. I do have a P3 in my Dodge, but I am never really satisfied with it.

Tobin