Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

new here with questions (car transporting)

Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What online databases do you use?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

www.centraldispatch.com
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 AM

thanks for all the info it was a great help!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:57 AM

I haul farm equipment, trailers, trees (in season) and cars. We combine hauling for MFG's delivering their equipment as backhauls and delivering trees (our load). Whenever we can't get a backhaul I get on-line and look at what products are specific to that part of the country like Peachs from GA. or hay from Kansas. What's plentifull and cheap in one part of the US maybe scarce and high in another. So we buy a load as small as a pallet or two and resell on the way back or when we get home. For example we hauled a dump trailer to TN and backhauled pallets of TN flat Flagstone rock for patios. Doubled our money and paid for the trip. Mexican tile from South Texas or Mexico sells well in Maryland. With pretrip planning and being flexable we always have loads. I go out once a month for 6-8 days 4-5000 miles and gross 6-10 G's and net 4-6 G's after fuel and expenses. Sleep in the truck in good weather Motel 6 in bad. The green goods is the primary load and the backhaul is gravy. Went to GA. two weeks ago with just the truck, bought a trailer on EBAY, picked up a box cargo which we loaded in the pu bed, went to a Nursery in S. GA. bought a 1000 small trees in boxes, dropped by a trailer MFG. bought 3 new trailers and loaded them on the Ebay trailer, dropped 2 trailers and the trees off in KY at a friend's house, took the 3rd. to Illinois to a buyer, backtracked and reloaded 1 of the other trailers and the trees and hauled for home where we sold the trees and trailer. Still have one more trailer to sell sitting in KY waiting for a another trip and a buyer to deliver it too. This is what Tramp freighters/traders have done for centuries in all countries in the world. Just apply the Internet and your creativity to get the loads to make that truck payoff bigtime.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Audior1
I haul farm equipment, trailers, trees (in season) and cars. We combine hauling for MFG's delivering their equipment as backhauls and delivering trees (our load). Whenever we can't get a backhaul I get on-line and look at what products are specific to that part of the country like Peachs from GA. or hay from Kansas. What's plentifull and cheap in one part of the US maybe scarce and high in another. So we buy a load as small as a pallet or two and resell on the way back or when we get home. For example we hauled a dump trailer to TN and backhauled pallets of TN flat Flagstone rock for patios. Doubled our money and paid for the trip. Mexican tile from South Texas or Mexico sells well in Maryland. With pretrip planning and being flexable we always have loads. I go out once a month for 6-8 days 4-5000 miles and gross 6-10 G's and net 4-6 G's after fuel and expenses. Sleep in the truck in good weather Motel 6 in bad. The green goods is the primary load and the backhaul is gravy. Went to GA. two weeks ago with just the truck, bought a trailer on EBAY, picked up a box cargo which we loaded in the pu bed, went to a Nursery in S. GA. bought a 1000 small trees in boxes, dropped by a trailer MFG. bought 3 new trailers and loaded them on the Ebay trailer, dropped 2 trailers and the trees off in KY at a friend's house, took the 3rd. to Illinois to a buyer, backtracked and reloaded 1 of the other trailers and the trees and hauled for home where we sold the trees and trailer. Still have one more trailer to sell sitting in KY waiting for a another trip and a buyer to deliver it too. This is what Tramp freighters/traders have done for centuries in all countries in the world. Just apply the Internet and your creativity to get the loads to make that truck payoff bigtime.
Cheers on that

As for cars, im going to houston once a week which is 1000 miles of flatland driving each way. Thats 17 hours each way. Grossing around 3-4k each round trip. And thats only a 3 car hauler!!!!!

P.S. Best thing anyone can tell you is
PLAN GOOD
HAVE GOOD MONEY MANAGEMENT, CRAP WILL BREAK, ALOT
KNOW YOUR CPM. If you browse the internet, you could find a few spreadsheets already put together by office excel stating your fixed and variable cost estimating yearly, monthly, daily, and your cpm. After i figure all my expenses including loans and payouts, it cost me 65 cpm to operate, but figures will jump around once loans are paid off, but then new trucks come in with new equipment, ITS PLANNING!!! If your a driver, make sure to have a wife, it reallly helps out
Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM

No wife but I have 2 sons who co-drive on longer trips or alternate shorter runs. We book zero through brokers. I do post load wanted notice's on buy/sell sites and Ebay to spread the word. We also approach small MFG's at Trade Shows asking for their hotshot loads that are too small for the big rigs to haul or the end user is way out in the Boonies where a big rig may not get too on a regular route. Example I haul TV Coax cable in 4' reels twice a year to different small Cable TV companies in small towns in the Midwest.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

Yah, not a fan of brokers either. They are for drivers who dont have clients yet/nor know how to use the internet!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:53 PM

haulin cars

Done some and plan to go back to it. That says something. Loads are not a problem. I suggest you lease on with someone for at least 6 months to get the feel of things and be sure you want to continue and stay with it. Insurance and MC number are provided by the company you lease on with and you do not have the up front costs like 2000 for mc ifta etc, etc. then when you decide you really like it you can save the front costs up while working and go for the whole hog.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R C Cola
Done some and plan to go back to it. That says something. Loads are not a problem. I suggest you lease on with someone for at least 6 months to get the feel of things and be sure you want to continue and stay with it. Insurance and MC number are provided by the company you lease on with and you do not have the up front costs like 2000 for mc ifta etc, etc. then when you decide you really like it you can save the front costs up while working and go for the whole hog.
What company can you lease on with to haul cars?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by haulin-rv
What company can you lease on with to haul cars?
Why would you wanna lease on to someone to haul cars????? There are more cars then transporters. All you need is to fill out a couple apps at your local auctions, plan a route you would like to go do, on the other end fill out apps at those auctions, and have wireless internet for online databases!!!!! Your clientel will come quick